PDA

View Full Version : Beware the Bargain

fourarmed
01-15-2017, 03:42 PM
I was in a surplus place a while back, and bought a package of .177 pellets that had 10 plastic cylinders of 100 or 200 pellets each for a very reasonable price. The first few shots out of my side lever springer refused to hit anything. I tried them in my break-barrel and found out why. Every one of them fell through the barrel onto the floor.

sparky45
01-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Sounds like you have a bunch of pellets that will add nicely to your next casting session.

54bore
01-15-2017, 09:33 PM
My bet is they were by Gamo, and the lightweight ones? I tried the hotrod lightweight pellets in my nitro piston break barrel and though they sounded cool (very similar to a .22) since they break the sound barrier, i found accuracy was horrible! I went the total opposite direction with the heaviest pellet i could find (10.5 grain) and a dome shaped nose, accuracy is TOP NOTCH and they have WAY more energy! i can hit a small Gatorade bottle at a true ranged 100 yards and the pellet penetrates all the way through. I ended up junking the lightweight pba stuff, they just dont shoot well in my rifle.

Ithaca Gunner
01-15-2017, 11:34 PM
I can't say about their guns, but Gamo pellets are the worst around. They're good for little more than adding to the melt.

54bore
01-16-2017, 12:14 AM
I dont think they are good for melting either, the lightweight pba gold colored ones are made of something else? Making them that much more worthless!
In my .177 i am using the Crossman premier ultra mag pellets (10.5 grain) they come in a tin of 500, i HIGHLY recommend them!

Dryball
01-16-2017, 02:08 AM
Try using JSB pellets. They are simply the best. Also, If you want to modify the pellets try to "gently" open the skirt using a BB to flair it out a bit. It makes them more consistent in diameter.

jh45gun
01-16-2017, 04:39 AM
Gamo PB pellets are reported accurate by some. They are not the light ones. Pellet guns are like any other gun you need to try different pellets to see what yours likes. It might shoot terrible with several and tack drivers with others. Only ones I have tried so far are Crosman 10.5 Grain Premier Ultra in my 177's and Crosman 14.3 Hollow Point Premiers in the 22 guns. So far works well in all but I plan on trying others as well.

54bore
01-16-2017, 06:03 AM
JSB is kind of like the Weatherby of Pellets, They make a dome nose 10.5 Grain like the Crossman Premiere ultra mag but i have not tried them yet (JSB might have done this first and Crossman followed?) There are a few companies out there that sell high end premier pellets, i watched a YouTube video of an EXTREME target air rifle and that guy was shooting pellets that came in a small box, each pellet separated and encased in foam so they couldn't get damaged bumping against eachother. Like pretty much anything else, there's Junk level, and on through to very high end. I have found the Crossman premier ultra mag 10.5 grain pellets shoot AMAZING for me! This picture is my rifle at a TRUE ranged 100 yards (My Leica 1600 Range Finder) to that far sand bank, i was hitting a small Gatorade bottle at that distance consistently as long as i did my part, that 10.5 grain pellet stil made it all the way through that thick plastic bottle at 100 Yards

Multigunner
01-16-2017, 06:15 PM
You might try spreading the skirt. There are purpose made tools for spreading the skirts and rounding them out, but in a pinch you can use the point of a center punch.

A long time ago Daisy branded pellets gave me similar accuracy problems and seemed undersized. I bought some Gamo pellets and found them to look identical to the Daisy pellets. I suspect Daisy was buying and rebranding Gamo pellets at the time.

Black Beard
01-20-2017, 04:26 AM
Gamo/BSA pellets have awful quality standards. Pity as the BSA interceptor and storm pellets are really well designed. The storm are sold as either daisy or crossman (can't remember which) pointed. I avoid Gamo pellets. Their guns are pretty mediocre to.I'll second the JSB recommendation. They are very popular in field target shooting.

sutherpride59
01-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Sounds like the pba aluminum rounds. They were undersized in my bore as well. I couldn't figure out what people were talking about online when they said they were load. I realized they were too small and mushroomed the skirt on a few using a punch and damn they were loud after that. Still inaccurate as heck.

54bore
01-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Sounds like the pba aluminum rounds. They were undersized in my bore as well. I couldn't figure out what people were talking about online when they said they were load. I realized they were too small and mushroomed the skirt on a few using a punch and damn they were loud after that. Still inaccurate as heck.

Yep, They are JUNK in my opinion!! And they are expensive JUNK around these parts

smalltownguy
03-07-2017, 03:23 PM
agree I gave several hundred away a year ago
He tried to sell them back to me:killingpc

MT Chambers
03-07-2017, 03:27 PM
I usually end using JSB or H&N, whichever are most accurate, and I stick with them.......but before I get to that point I've tried most makes.