PDA

View Full Version : Alloy question

Snobanker
01-15-2017, 02:14 AM
I want to start casting my own bullets as an added little something to do, because I like do it yourself stuff. My question is about alloys. I like the idea of casting my own bullets but honestly the idea of mixing my own alloys right now doesn't sound appealing. I've read a little about BNH and velocities etc and it sounds like with lower velocities you want softer lead ( but not pure) and for higher velocities you want harder lead. A friend recommended 20:1 alloy for my Sharps 45-70 and said that would work for CAS too. I was thinking maybe the 20:1 for CAS (45 and 38) , but maybe Lyman #2 for my Sharps. Anyone else just use ready to go alloys? Looking for suggestions.

charlie3tuna
01-15-2017, 03:27 AM
Welcome to the forum! You have come to the best source of accurate reliable information on the net, IMHO.

The short and cheap answer to your alloy question is to use range scrap with a little tin added, instead of buying foundry alloy. All of the rounds you mentioned were originally loaded with near pure lead, i.e. a little tin for 'hardness' and to improve casting. They are low pressure and very undemanding. There are many reliable vendors here as opposed to E-bay, etc.

Once again welcome and good luck. You have access to a ton of reading....charlie

Hickory
01-15-2017, 03:37 AM
If you haven't read the below, you should.
You will learn a lot from one of the masters of boolit casting.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

John Boy
01-15-2017, 11:18 AM
#1 ...A friend recommended 20:1 alloy for my Sharps 45-70 and said that would work for CAS too.

#2 ... I was thinking maybe the 20:1 for CAS (45 and 38) , but maybe Lyman #2 for my Sharps.

Anyone else just use ready to go alloys? Looking for suggestions.

#1 - ** Good recommendation
#2 - ** Lyman #2 for Sharps is fine for smokeless reloads - 1:16 or 1:20 for Sharps black powder reloads

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-15-2017, 12:03 PM
I want to start casting my own bullets as an added little something to do, because I like do it yourself stuff. My question is about alloys. I like the idea of casting my own bullets but honestly the idea of mixing my own alloys right now doesn't sound appealing. I've read a little about BNH and velocities etc and it sounds like with lower velocities you want softer lead ( but not pure) and for higher velocities you want harder lead. A friend recommended 20:1 alloy for my Sharps 45-70 and said that would work for CAS too. I was thinking maybe the 20:1 for CAS (45 and 38) , but maybe Lyman #2 for my Sharps. Anyone else just use ready to go alloys? Looking for suggestions.

Snobanker,
Welcome to the forum.
There has been some great advice so far.
I will comment on your statement "but honestly the idea of mixing my own alloys right now doesn't sound appealing."
For myself, and probably many others here, Blending alloys is about utilizing free or cheap scrap lead alloy's, making them usable for the calibers and loads we shoot. So it's about saving money. Once your research tells you the alloy you need for the calibers and loads you want to shoot, then search for the best price and buy some.

runfiverun
01-15-2017, 12:32 PM
20-1 will work just fine for your needs.
it will work for both smokeless and black.

Snobanker
01-15-2017, 05:44 PM
Snobanker,
Welcome to the forum.
There has been some great advice so far.
I will comment on your statement "but honestly the idea of mixing my own alloys right now doesn't sound appealing."
For myself, and probably many others here, Blending alloys is about utilizing free or cheap scrap lead alloy's, making them usable for the calibers and loads we shoot. So it's about saving money. Once your research tells you the alloy you need for the calibers and loads you want to shoot, then search for the best price and buy some.

Thanks JonB. Actually I should have said it doesn't sound appealing right now. Once I get the whole casting thing practiced a bit I have no doubt I'll move into mixing my own since I won't be able to help it :) . For now I wanted to keep it a bit simpler until I figure it all out.