PDA

View Full Version : What a week its been

country gent
01-14-2017, 07:31 PM
Hello to everyone, Been gone for a week or so. I opened an e-mail and got hit by ransomware. Since the desktop was like me Old and slow rather than reward the jokers for their games by paying the ransom I replaced the computer. Just got the new one today set up and going. Hope every ones been well

merlin101
01-14-2017, 07:33 PM
Don't ya wish you just reach thru the net grab the ***** by the neck and ask "ransome, really"?

country gent
01-14-2017, 07:53 PM
If I had gotten ahold of them there wouldnt have been and asking verbally going on. Like Hank Williams country boy, corks would have been needed

HeavyMetal
01-14-2017, 08:03 PM
Do you know what site your were on when you were Hit?

Be nice to pass that along, early last year, about this time, I went to Saeco's web site to get part numbers for a Lube Sizer I had purchased and was hit by the encrypto Virus.

Drove the IT gal nuts and I lost some information forever but the real bummer was when I ordered my parts, only by mail at Saeco) I mentioned the issue and was told the knew about and weren't going to do anything about it and, I suspect, it's because they don't know how.

At any rate advise us if you know where you were so we can avoid if possible.

HM

roadie
01-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Do you know what site your were on when you were Hit?

Be nice to pass that along, early last year, about this time, I went to Saeco's web site to get part numbers for a Lube Sizer I had purchased and was hit by the encrypto Virus.

Drove the IT gal nuts and I lost some information forever but the real bummer was when I ordered my parts, only by mail at Saeco) I mentioned the issue and was told the knew about and weren't going to do anything about it and, I suspect, it's because they don't know how.

At any rate advise us if you know where you were so we can avoid if possible.

HM

It sounds like it was an email attachment that got him, and it can take some real work to get rid of some of these things.

It's one of the reasons I use Linux instead of Windows, email attachments intended for Windows can't run in Linux.

ascast
01-14-2017, 08:25 PM
It sounds like it was an email attachment that got him, and it can take some real work to get rid of some of these things.

It's one of the reasons I use Linux instead of Windows, email attachments intended for Windows can't run in Linux.

yup ! lost a box about 1 year ago, had this rebuilt with several drives, windows7, Linux on the other.

bayjoe
01-14-2017, 08:29 PM
I'm with Merlin
Lump em up real good and they might think twice before they do that again

jmort
01-14-2017, 08:36 PM
There was a police or sheriff's department office that recently paid the ransom. I know someone who paid and it all went back to normal. At least they are honest theives.

country gent
01-14-2017, 08:47 PM
It was an e-mail. Fed ex package was unable to be delivered. I opened it and tried to read it, I was done. Once I closed out it took over. What a miserable pain.

MaryB
01-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Never ever open email attachments unless you know the person and are expecting it! No company sends an email to you about business, they will call first! And please run antivirus and a firewall! Avast works well and is free, and ZoneAlarm firewall is also free.

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2017, 07:03 AM
wize works. If its at ALL DOUBTFULL delete it. Even if its from a friend I don't open attachments unless its something that that friend actually downloaded and has called me and told me to open. Ive been running this computer for 5 years now with only a free anti virus and haven't picked up a major bug yet. I guess I figure for the 100 bucks a year they charge I can risk it for 3 or 4 years and just replace the computer.
Never ever open email attachments unless you know the person and are expecting it! No company sends an email to you about business, they will call first! And please run antivirus and a firewall! Avast works well and is free, and ZoneAlarm firewall is also free.

lightman
01-15-2017, 08:27 AM
I've gotten that e-mail about the FedX package. I ask my Wife if we were waiting on anything as we get some of our meds delivered that way. Thankfully I did not open it.

Glad to see you back!

Budzilla 19
01-15-2017, 09:34 AM
I got hit by ransom ware in 2013 while in California working on a job! All kind of mess on there, how if you didn't pay, they would send the fbi to your address, so in the middle of the night, I disassembled that darned thing and scattered it on about four miles of avenues in El Segundo, California!! Trace that! ( I didn't know any better back then, so got concerned, might have been some Crown Royal involved,who knows? Lol) glad you got back on line and didn't pay that silly ransom! It was an old computer I used for work anyway, so no big loss. I NEVER open anything I don't know for real.

country gent
01-15-2017, 01:54 PM
My meds all come thru deliveries also and the daughter and her family do a lot of online shopping and its all delivered. I never know what could be coming now. Putting a dry board on the metal file cabnient for delivers expected so I / we know what to expect.

WILCO
01-15-2017, 02:56 PM
Putting a dry board on the metal file cabnient for delivers expected so I / we know what to expect.

Old school. I like it.