PDA

View Full Version : looking for a gunsmith

sghart3578
01-14-2017, 07:26 PM
Hello friends,

I have a project that I need help with. I have a Siamese action, barreled for 45-70.

I just bought this as a project, there is no stock.

It won't chamber a 45-70 case. It looks like the bolt face has not been relieved.

I don't know if the previous owner just turned down the case rims or what. I bought this from an estate sale so I know nothing about it. It does look like it has been fired, judging from the residue in the bore.

Is there anyone on here that can open up this bolt face for me? For a fee of course, I don't expect a freebie.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Steve in N CA

roadie
01-14-2017, 08:00 PM
I can't help with opening the bolt face.

It sounds like the bolt may not be the right one for that action. It would have been difficult to get the headspace right if the cartridge didn't fit the bolt face.

Have you checked dimensions of the bolt face? When I did mine, the extractor needed work to allow the case rim to slide under.

runfiverun
01-15-2017, 12:53 PM
are you sure it's chambered for 45-70?
there are other rounds that are 45 caliber.
the previous owner might have just been cutting off 284 win cases..

sghart3578
01-15-2017, 03:03 PM
are you sure it's chambered for 45-70?
there are other rounds that are 45 caliber.
the previous owner might have just been cutting off 284 win cases..

True enough. I plan to do a chamber cast first when the rifle clears the 10 DROS here in California. I was just brainstorming ahead of time to get a head start.

I know that I can send the bolt to E.R. Shaw for the work but I thought that I would put it out here. I actually have two bolts that need the work done.

aspangler
01-16-2017, 01:28 AM
True enough. I plan to do a chamber cast first when the rifle clears the 10 DROS here in California. I was just brainstorming ahead of time to get a head start.

I know that I can send the bolt to E.R. Shaw for the work but I thought that I would put it out here. I actually have two bolts that need the work done.

PM me. I built on on a MN action. I also have a VERY good chamber reamer. Opening the bolt face is not hard if you have a good lathe and pay attention to what you are doing.

Andrew Mason
01-17-2017, 10:38 PM
i know some one in northern california that can take care of that for you.
a very good smith.
PM me for his info