PDA

View Full Version : Skirmish black powder

Wishbone
06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Howdy,
Has anyone shot Skirmish black powder?? Would it be good for Cowboy Action Shooting?:Fire:
Thanks, Wishbone

Buckshot
06-26-2008, 02:13 AM
................Is that that Chinese BP (Lido?) or some kind that's actually called 'Skirmish' ? I've never seen either, but then again I haven't looked :-)

................Buckshot

Boz330
06-26-2008, 08:28 AM
I tried the Lidu once and it was VERY dirty. But I think it was Ironsights that said it works pretty well if you screen it. It is definately cheap. IIRC I paid $5 or $6 for it. Of course that is assuming that is the powder you are talking about.

Bob

Nobade
06-26-2008, 07:25 PM
I ordered a couple of pounds of Skirmish the last time I got an order from Powder Inc. It is NOT Lidu, but lower grade of Goex and repackaged by Powder Inc. (says made by Goex on the cans) It is soft, dirty, and has very little to no glazing on it. But it is cheap, burns like it should, and works great in everything I've tried it in. It only is available in Fg and FFFg. The Fg shoots plenty good in my 45-70 to hit the 500M rams but needs more elevation than Swiss does. The FFFg works great in my revolvers - 38spl, 44mag, and Ruger Old Army. It does, however, leave too much fouling in the 1892 to be of much use, even with Big Lube bullets. I first saw it at End Of Trail, the guy with the gatling gun was using it. I talked to him about it, and since he said it worked fine in the Gatling and his cannon, I gave it a try. It's not as good as regular Goex or KIK, but would be just fine for cowboy action or plinking. And the Fg would be especially good for shotguns, since you use so much of it. That's my opinion anyhow.

Wishbone
06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks to all the replies. May try it for CAS. KIK is not that much more at Powder Inc. May try them both and experiment a bit.
Thanks again, Wishbone

ELFEGO BACA
07-08-2008, 02:31 AM
I used the FFFG Skirmish for Cowboy Shooting in the Frontier Cartridge category. It worked great in the 12 gauge side by side shotgun, the Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt and in my Ruger Vaqueros - one New two old.

I use maximun charges in my 45 Colt loads to remain competitive:)