PDA

View Full Version : Grease groove lubes

Squeeze
01-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Ive been doing some casting for a few conicals. (.36, .45, .50) I dont think ill bother sizing, as they all drop pretty uniform, and correct for their respective bore. I want to dip, or pan lube. I have many of the usual ingredients in house. What is your favorite grease groove lube? Home recipe, or commercial offerings? I was kind of heading for a beeswax, crisco, olive oil mix, but figured Id ask here before I started. 185225

Nobade
01-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Gatofeo #1. B-wax, Gulf canning wax, and mutton tallow. Makes a great dip lube.

-Nobade

rodwha
01-14-2017, 01:27 PM
I've been using Gatofeo on my cap n ball and 320 grn REALs. It works quite well.

Squeeze
01-14-2017, 01:46 PM
That one keeps popping up. must be something there. Guess I better order some mutton tallow. I WAS using a beeswax, and Hoppes #9 mix, that worked well as both groove and patch lube. but it was an oddball self made recipe, and got me more than one odd look. :-D

rodwha
01-14-2017, 09:13 PM
According to Gatofeo he found it in an old gun magazine and the recipe was an original one for outside lubricated bullets as far back as the late 1800's.

Not that I've truly shopped around but the best place I know of for mutton tallow is Dixie Gun Works

Good Cheer
01-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Mine is LOOB: Lanolin-Olive Oil-Beeswax.
Vary the proportions and for that matter the ingredients to suit your situation.
Psst, don't tell nobody but a little extra stinky DAX hair dressing might stop the leading in your old revolver.
It's all about as exacting as a witches kettle in a misty peat bog.

54bore
01-14-2017, 11:28 PM
Durafelt also carries Mutton Tallow, same place lots of folks buy their bulk wool felt wad making material. A fellow forum member friend sent me some Gatfeo Lube he made and i am very impressed with it, darn good stuff! He makes it in stick form so you can use it in bullet lube presses.

Squeeze
01-15-2017, 08:26 AM
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=352.0

rfd
01-15-2017, 12:32 PM
+1 for gato feo - i use for everything from bpcr bullet lube to muzzleloader patch lube.

GATOFEO LUBE

by weight, double boiler meted ...

1 part mutton tallow (dixie gun works)
1 part paraffin canning wax (gulf)
1/2 part filtered beeswax

Standing Bear
01-15-2017, 12:42 PM
I use bees wax and 5w-20 Mobil 1 synthetic engine lube mixed 1:1.
TC

GoexBlackhorn
01-15-2017, 02:45 PM
I use bees wax and 5w-20 Mobil 1 synthetic engine lube mixed 1:1.
TC

Deer can smell that fired greasey bullet coming from a 1/8 mile away.
Motor oil and ATF only belong in automobiles.

mooman76
01-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Does that mean he's that quick he can dodge the bullet coming at him?

GoexBlackhorn
01-15-2017, 03:08 PM
Does that mean he's that quick he can dodge the bullet coming at him?

Michigan whitetails are the fastest in the continental USA. Just waiting for someone to open a deer racetrack to prove it.

The fastest on earth are the Baltic deer. They are always running away from oncoming Rooskis.

Standing Bear
01-15-2017, 07:46 PM

BS. Yankee deer don't know synthetic motor oil smell from turnip greens. AND I only use conicals in a musket. Deer are hunted w PRBs in flintlocks.

rfd
01-15-2017, 08:02 PM
dunno about michigan deer but texas whitetails are just spooky wired and unless you really know where to aim a longbow arrow they'll duck to the ground every time as the dart flies way over their back.

.45 to .54 flintlocks with the 1:48 "compromise" rifling twist handle most bullets just fine, greased or patched.

54bore
01-15-2017, 09:13 PM
dunno about michigan deer but texas whitetails are just spooky wired and unless you really know where to aim a longbow arrow they'll duck to the ground every time as the dart flies way over their back.

VERY TRUE rfd!! I have an old Primos video where they were trying to show how much a whitetail deer moves at the shot with a bow, they drew a red line on the deers back and its belly, it is ABSOLUTELY amazing how much a whitetail moves before the arrow gets there! They drop down, WAY down as they gear up to bolt. In the video they say that everyone of them aim for the heart, if the deer reacts you will get lungs, if the deer does not react you will hit the heart.