PDA

View Full Version : Maytag part fixes Murata headspace

Depreacher
06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
NO KIDDING, I have looked everywhere for an .008 steel washer with an ID of about 1/2" and OD of about 5/8". I was moving some of the clutter off the workbench in my shop when I spotted the used drum roller support bracket for my Maytag clothes dryer. Looking closely I saw a thin slightly curved tension washer still on the bracket. I put the calipers on it and it went .008 exactly. All excited, I disassembled the Murata bolt and the washer was an EXACT fit on the rear extension of the head. The OD was perfect also and looks like an original part. A little wheel bearing grease on both sides of the washer and everything works slick.
The bolt closes on an empty chamber with no effort, but when using the Buffalo Arms modified 45-70 case it closes with a little more down pressure than I like. Thought it might be the rim thickness or the elongation of the brass after fired in the excess headspace of the original setup (no washer). I shot 2 rounds with no problems, and a just right firing pin protrusion.
Anyhoo, I am ordering Norma 7.62x54R brass and following the Donnely forming procedure. The russian has a thiner rim so all should be well. Will have to sell something to finance the expensive dies though. I hope to give a range report when all this is over with 100 yd accuracy (if any), and chronographed loads of maybe 3 powders, and several weights, primers, and seating depths (does it ever end???).
Shot 3 rounds at a target 45 yards away last week (before I found the washer) and shot a 2 1/2" group with the HORRIBLE original front sight. 205 gr. Lee .330/20 gr. 4759. Used the porch railing for the benchrest, and a ROCKING chair for the stool. Try it sometime. It really helps your coordination. Rock back slightly, now Squeeeeeeeze that trigger. Jerk, pow!! Most folks think I just had good luck finding the EXACT washer in a cluttered shop, but I know exactly who led me to it. de preacher

Buckshot
06-27-2008, 04:17 AM
...............Twas providence! I had removed the spindle brake lever from my lathe to oil the countershaft. The lever also acts as the panic stop, and it has a short but very stiff spring on it to keep it pressed against an electrical contact switch. Naturally the spring somehow or other got sucked into another dimension after zooming off the lever.

After crawling around on the floor and looking under stuff that hasn't been looked under in a coon's age, I found a wide assortment of stuff but no spring. That afternoon I decided I was going to HAVE to find another. After considerable thought, I looked through my box of gunparts odds and ends and came up with a firing pin spring from an 1895 Steyr straight pull. The factory spring fits on a finger which extends up inside it maybe a half inch or so, goes through a hole as a guide and then contacts the switch.

While the firing pin spring was 8 times too long, it's inside and outside dimensions were a perfect match! I cut off the length needed with the Dremel, installed it and was back in business! It even feels like it has the same tension when I operate the brake lever.

............Buckshot

beemer
06-28-2008, 07:27 AM
A man that ain't got junk ain't got nuttin, how would you fix anything. Never throw away springs, washers or pins or for that matter anything else.

Buckshot, why do you always find this time what you were working on last time?

beemer

Ricochet
06-28-2008, 10:29 AM
I'll bet the commercial helical gun springs we buy are off-the-shelf ones from big hardware distributors like MSC, McMaster-Carr, ENCO, etc. Figuring out what works is the trick.

Linstrum
06-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey, there, Ricochet! Hmmm, - - - I'll keep that in mind. When I get my house built and the screen door put on the porch I've got some old kinked up Garand operating rod springs that will work great!

Since nature abhors a vacuum, including other dimensions, when Buckshot's lathe spring went missing it forced Castboolitpreacher's Maytag spring to come to the forefront and be noticed! We need to keep this in mind so that the good cast boolit folks off yonder in that other dimension don't go nuts looking for something that mysteriously disappeared. So, if you mysteriously find something you don't need or know what it is, PUT IT BACK! That way we will maintain sanity and order in the universe.

Now where in tarnation is that little pin I just had - - - -

rl362

smokemjoe
06-28-2008, 08:29 PM
You fellows want a good supply of gun threaded parts. Pick up all the old sewing machinces and part them out, I have 3 drawers of ect. and fix alot of guns out of it, Hope this helps. Joe

Linstrum
06-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Smokemjoe - - - Absolutely! Some of these modern jobs with zig zag and embroidery stitching are a real find when it comes to spare parts for smithing.

Printers and typewriters are also a bonanza of small springs, too, although if you have a typewriter that still worksl, or an old antique typewriter made by Remington, Underwood, Smith Corona, L.C. Smith, IBM, etc, check out selling it over on eBone first since some of these old writing machines will fetch you enough to buy a whole hardware store full of parts. I was going to part out an old Remington I found at Salvation Army and instead sold it on eBay for $250!

rl364

Depreacher
06-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey Linstrum, Glad to see you have a scientific mind. Hard to believe, but, according to The Scientific American, somewhere in a parallel universe (only 10X10-28th power meters away) some old buzzard who looks like me (poor soul) found a spacer ring for his Murata bolt that was a perfect fit also. If only we could see his range report. Then again, when we see mine we'll know what his is. All considering what the meaning of "is" is, of course. de preacher

Johnch
06-29-2008, 12:05 AM
...............Twas providence! I had removed the spindle brake lever from my lathe to oil the countershaft. The lever also acts as the panic stop, and it has a short but very stiff spring on it to keep it pressed against an electrical contact switch. Naturally the spring somehow or other got sucked into another dimension after zooming off the lever.

After crawling around on the floor and looking under stuff that hasn't been looked under in a coon's age, I found a wide assortment of stuff but no spring. That afternoon I decided I was going to HAVE to find another.

............Buckshot

Soon you will find the old one that you "lost "
Then you will have a spare

I took apart a pistol years ago
Forgot that there was a spring loaded detent ball

After the spring and ball bounced around my cluttered reloading room
I searched for over 2 hours and nothing

I called Brownel's and ordered the parts and paid through the nose for a 15 cent spring and a 2 cent steel ballbearing

2 weeks later I found the 2 parts
The ball was in a empty primer tray on the bench and the spring had found it's way into the ceiling light [smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Quit looking and they will fine you

John

DLCTEX
07-01-2008, 03:23 AM
I have always saved screws, nuts, springs, etc. After about 6 or 7 years after marriage my wife one day said that our son's high chair was loose. I examined it and found a screw missing. She confessed that a few days before she had found a screw in the floor when cleaning. She had an attitude about my packrat habits, so she tossed it. She has been much more tolerent since, but she still wants to spend wasted time organizing all those odds and ends. She can't relate to sorting through a pile helps to imbed in the memory banks a list of what you have, although as I get older the memory bank is getting so full it's harder to keep it seprated. Yes, thats it, I've got so much knowledge in my head I need to defrag! DALE

Buckshot
07-02-2008, 03:03 AM
...............HA! I must be de-fraging as I just KNOW I'm about to come up with the bit of info I'm needing for the project in mind. As I reach for it, the de-frag program comes along, snatches it up and puts it someplace else that takes another half hour to find :-)

..............Buckshot