PDA

View Full Version : Send it back or try to repair

z28z34man
01-14-2017, 10:38 AM
I bought a Lee 6 cavity tl401-175-SWC to cast some bullets for a friend and I am having a few problems with it. First thing I noticed was the fly cut vent lines where way more noticeable than my other Lee molds. When I started casting with it I started picking up parting lines. I looked and I got some lead between the mold blocks. Picked it off and I was still having parting lines but not as bad but it eventually came back again and I got more lead between the mold blocks. Called it quits and cleaned up the mold again and checked for play between the mold blocks with them closed and there is a slight bit of play. Came back to the mold again this morning and picked up lead between the mold blocks again. I am thinking an alignment pin backed off slightly and that the extra deep fly cuts are causing the lead between the mold blocks. What do you think.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Send it back with a letter explaining the problem.

runfiverun
01-14-2017, 12:24 PM
keep your thumb off the handle.
:kidding:

you more than likely have an alignment pin sticking out too far on one side.

Strtspdlx
01-23-2017, 12:37 PM
ive been having a similar issue with the non tumble lube version of this mold, come to find out that any slight pressure on the handle for the sprue cutter allows the back of the mold to hold ever so slightly open and allows fins from the mold to form on the boolit and those fins leave small amount in the female pin hole. after a few pours the buildup is enough to show significant fins, I haven't quite figured out how to stop it completely but for now I keep my hand away from the sprue cutter handle and try to keep an eye on the rear female alignment pin. I still get a little buildup but its only enough that after a pot of casting I have to take a paint stick and scrape off the pin hole and resume casting.