PDA

View Full Version : Quality Bore Brushes?

54bore
01-13-2017, 10:40 PM
The stuck Bore brush thread got me to thinking about good quality Bore brushes, Does anyone know a source for Good ones? Like the one in the photo below that twists through the shank and will not pull apart. All of the brushes i find around here are the cheap press fitted kind that will pull apart. I would like to find a source for the Good ones. Thanks

curator
01-13-2017, 11:12 PM
54Bore:

Brownells carries a line they call "Beefy Bore Brush" made with the threaded through wire core. The also make it in .54 caliber:
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/brushes-amp-bore-snakes/bore-brushes/beefy-bore-brushes-prod1278.aspx

idahoron
01-14-2017, 12:03 AM
Do you remember me telling you about the two types of brushes? The twisted ones and the crimped ones?
I have used several types the last ones I got on Amazon from Pro Shot Products.

izzyjoe
01-14-2017, 12:29 AM
To tell the truth I've never used a bore brush in a muzzleloader, I've not read the other thread, but the only way I would use one is in an inline, and currently I don't have one.

swathdiver
01-14-2017, 12:55 AM
I don't use them anymore either but if you must, Track of the Wolf and EMSS have those kind if memory serves. Stick with 10-32 threads too.

54bore
01-14-2017, 12:55 AM
Do you remember me telling you about the two types of brushes? The twisted ones and the crimped ones?
I have used several types the last ones I got on Amazon from Pro Shot Products.

I do remember you telling me that Ron, i thought the ones i had gotten from buffalo arms were the good ones but they are NOT, they are the crimped on ones. The only good brush i have is a Pro shot .50 Cal, its the one in the picture i posted here, all of my other Pro shots are the Crimped ones, so they DEFINITELY sell more crimped junk ones than good ones. Many Years ago (12-15 years) i bought all Pro Shot cleaning equipment, brushes, jags, and their 1 piece solid Rods, i have 3 different size 1 piece long Rods, and 2 short 1 piece pistol rods. I just checked all of my Pro Shot Rifle and Pistol brushes and only this one .50 Cal is Twisted through, the rest are crimped like the ones from Buffalo arms. A few are brand new unopened in the Pro Shot packs. So BEWARE Pro Shot does sell the crimped ones, i have Pro Shot brushes from .17 and almost every Caliber up to .50 Cal and they are ALL the cheap crimped ones

Good Cheer
01-14-2017, 05:28 AM
54Bore:

Brownells carries a line they call "Beefy Bore Brush" made with the threaded through wire core. The also make it in .54 caliber:
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/brushes-amp-bore-snakes/bore-brushes/beefy-bore-brushes-prod1278.aspx

Over the years the good ones keep getting harder to find. Thanks for the link.

rfd
01-14-2017, 07:26 AM
54Bore:

+1 ... best bore brushes by far.

54bore
01-14-2017, 09:52 AM
To tell the truth I've never used a bore brush in a muzzleloader, I've not read the other thread, but the only way I would use one is in an inline, and currently I don't have one.

Ok, but i didnt ask if you did, just wanted to know if you knew a source for good quality brushes? Thats all.

izzyjoe
01-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Sorry, my bad.

triggerhappy243
01-14-2017, 06:03 PM
I looked at all of mine. I buy all tipton brushes and they are all crimped. There must be more to this because looking back..... I have worn my brushes out before they separated.

mooman76
01-14-2017, 06:13 PM
I always heard people talk about use only quality brushes but they never stated why. I always figured, so it's a cheap brush, it will just wear out quicker. Good reason here to make sure it's quality.

54bore
01-14-2017, 07:55 PM
I will confess as embarrassing as this is, with the 'stuck brush' thread going on and all, i had a brush pull apart and get STUCK BAD in my new TC Scout pistol! And it was a BAD one, i was using a smaller 33 Caliber brush down in the Ante chamber/patented breech, the brush slid right in, it was a little tight so i started to turn it to change the direction of the bristles, i felt it get really easy all a sudden, my heart sank! Sure enough i pulled the SOB apart!! And this wasnt an easy one, this was stuck in the patented breech! This TC Scout pistol has a deep small diameter Ante chamber, I got DARN lucky and was able to get it! I will NEVER use crimped brushes again!! I found a bunch of Traditions brushes today at a big sport shop and they are the GOOD ONES, These were in the Muzzle loading supplies and were the ONLY good twisted thru brushes in the store. I checked all of the rifle/pistol cleaning supplies (a wall full) and every single one of them were the cheap junk pressed fitted brushes. These cheap brushes work ok for thru barrel applications but are GARBAGE for a sidelock muzzleloader where you have to pull the brush back out.

Good Cheer
01-14-2017, 09:30 PM
Fellas, this really is pretty simple...
If you want something to go away then stop buying it.

GoexBlackhorn
01-15-2017, 03:03 PM
54Bore:

Nice find!
Have you ever found these in 5/16 thread? The fatter base means it's less likely to bend the stem.

Also need a new black nylon brush in 5/16 Both in 50-cal.

edit
-----

I found the 5/16 online.

54bore
01-16-2017, 06:52 AM
I went on Traditions website and all of their brushes are the GOOD ones, at least the pictures of them are of the good ones.

idahoron
01-17-2017, 07:50 PM
We used to get traditions brushes here at Sportsman's Warehouse. They quit carrying them. I explained to the manager about the brushes. He didn't care one bit. He said lots of guys buy them.

54bore
01-17-2017, 10:57 PM
We used to get traditions brushes here at Sportsman's Warehouse. They quit carrying them. I explained to the manager about the brushes. He didn't care one bit. He said lots of guys buy them.

Now that i know what to look for i will check with North 40, that sporting goods store you and i stopped at on our way to Buffalo Arms. I know they carry mainly Pro Shot, but like i said in an earlier post i have all Pro Shot stuff from many years ago for rifles/pistols, and all of the brushes are the press fitted type.