PDA

View Full Version : Little Shiloh in .22 Hornet

OlDeuce
01-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Hi Guys..........I'm really interested in picking up one of the little guys......The .22 Hornet would be a perfect round in this rifle!!
and doing the reload it cost about 5 cents a shot! It could be tons of fun:mrgreen:

Does anyone here own one??? Chiappa Little Shiloh ........OL Deuce

Chill Wills
01-13-2017, 09:34 PM
Is that really the name of it?
I can't imagine Chiappa would use another company name in their product line.

OlDeuce
01-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Is that really the name of it?
I can't imagine Chiappa would use another company name in their product line.

Well............Little Sharps - Chiappa Firearms (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiZq5aCy8DRAhVCilQKHeu0AGwQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fchiappafirearms.com%2Fproducts%2F 80&usg=AFQjCNH5-zBC7m798_x1oiPeIXVSTYVvWQ&sig2=LHfEfSUVP0M4hIRbnj1eBw&bvm=bv.144224172,d.cGw)chiappafirearms.com/products/80

LITTLE SHARPS cal.22 LR 24" dbl trigger, octagonal barrel, engraved, white ... The Little Sharps TARGET rifle features a checkered walnut stock and forend, ...You visited this page on 1/13/17.

Chill Wills
01-13-2017, 10:37 PM
I agree - it would be a fun rifle. I do not want to assume what you know or don't know about Hornets. If you know the following sorry for preaching. The devil is in the details with the Hornet rifle. Make sure you know the twist, bore and groove size and chamber before you buy. I little homework on Hornets helps keep the buyer from getting a rifle that won't shoot.
just an opinion.
Ask me how I know.

OlDeuce
01-13-2017, 11:12 PM
I agree - it would be a fun rifle. I do not want to assume what you know or don't know about Hornets. If you know the following sorry for preaching. The devil is in the details with the Hornet rifle. Make sure you know the twist, bore and groove size and chamber before you buy. I little homework on Hornets helps keep the buyer from getting a rifle that won't shoot.
just an opinion.
Ask me how I know.

Well I kinda thought the home work started with a Question to other shooters like yourself I've been shooting some 60 years and the New this day and age
raises questions for me on these little rifles.. the Uberti Low Wall........the Little Rolling block....... ETC....

Ol Deuce

Reverend Al
01-14-2017, 03:26 AM
I bought one of the Lyman Ideal mini-Sharps in .38-55 for my wife to shoot for cowboy action rifle matches (the same rifle, but sold under Lyman's branding). It was a lovely little rifle for her to shoot with her small hands, but the trigger guard is quite small and cramped and there isn't much room in there for a big finger like mine and 2 triggers. She lost interest so I sold it to another local fellow for his wife to shoot.
I also bought her one of the little Uberti baby rolling blocks in .357 Magnum and it's a pleasant little rifle to shoot. I shoot that one more than she does these days and I wouldn't part with it. They chamber that rifle in .22 Hornet as well. I still have the vintage style 6 power Malcolm scope I bought for the mini-Sharps and I might just drill and tap the baby rolling block and mount it on there.
Just my 2 cents worth ...

OlDeuce
01-14-2017, 01:36 PM
I bought one of the Lyman Ideal mini-Sharps in .38-55 for my wife to shoot for cowboy action rifle matches (the same rifle, but sold under Lyman's branding). It was a lovely little rifle for her to shoot with her small hands, but the trigger guard is quite small and cramped and there isn't much room in there for a big finger like mine and 2 triggers. She lost interest so I sold it to another local fellow for his wife to shoot.
I also bought her one of the little Uberti baby rolling blocks in .357 Magnum and it's a pleasant little rifle to shoot. I shoot that one more than she does these days and I wouldn't part with it. They chamber that rifle in .22 Hornet as well. I still have the vintage style 6 power Malcolm scope I bought for the mini-Sharps and I might just drill and tap the baby rolling block and mount it on there.
Just my 2 cents worth ...

Al..That is really nice to hear.........I take pride in my shooters and age has a factor ! My Shiloh Sharps is a 16lbs cannon and the 'Ol Body doesn't
like to respond to the recoil like it did!! :-) shooting the .22 caliber is a relaxing round .and the Hornet reloads makes it a inexpensive way to shoot
Thanks for your good words:drinks:

Ol Deuce

Drm50
01-16-2017, 12:48 AM
I have had a couple dozen Hornets in my life and about 80% of them were big let downs. I havent
owned the Little Sharps, but had a Daniel Frasier miniature falling block. Nice gun,lousy shooter.
Ruger 77Hornet, H&R single shot, Win 43, Savage24, Springfield m6, all disappointing accuracy.
On the plus side the good shooters were Win m70, Savage 23, Savage 340, & CZ. I have had a
lot of rifles in a lot of calibres and I say the 22hornet is the most finicky of all. The best ones I
have owned were rebarreled Martini and a Hopkins& Allen falling block. Some of these rifles I
have owned multiples of, and got same results.

Reverend Al
01-16-2017, 02:10 AM
Years ago I had a custom built baby Martini in .22 K Hornet and it was absolutely deadly with the .45 grain Speer Hornet bullets in the smaller .223 diameter and the old Hercules production 2400. (The barrel was a re-chambered .22 rimfire barrel with tight bore dimensions.) Those lightly constructed Hornet bullets were absolute murder on gophers ...

:)

Chill Wills
01-16-2017, 11:28 AM
I have had a couple dozen Hornets in my life and about 80% of them were big let downs. I havent
owned the Little Sharps, but had a Daniel Frasier miniature falling block. Nice gun,lousy shooter.
Ruger 77Hornet, H&R single shot, Win 43, Savage24, Springfield m6, all disappointing accuracy.
On the plus side the good shooters were Win m70, Savage 23, Savage 340, & CZ. I have had a
lot of rifles in a lot of calibres and I say the 22hornet is the most finicky of all. The best ones I
have owned were rebarreled Martini and a Hopkins& Allen falling block. Some of these rifles I
have owned multiples of, and got same results.

Yes! I have not had that many rifles chambered in Hornet as you, not even close, but your experience above is my worry too when getting any Hornet.
Did you by chance do any chamber or barrel measuring of those rifles to try to track trends! Anything common to the rifles that shot well that could be applied to looking for a new rifle like this little sharps in question?

Nothing worse than a new rifle that won't group well. A chamber on a rifle that won't shoot accurately is a hole we pour time, money and components into for no return.

OlDeuce
01-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Yes! I have not had that many rifles chambered in Hornet as you, not even close, but your experience above is my worry too when getting any Hornet.
Did you by chance do any chamber or barrel measuring of those rifles to try to track trends! Anything common to the rifles that shot well that could be applied to looking for a new rifle like this little sharps in question?

Nothing worse than a new rifle that won't group well. A chamber on a rifle that won't shoot accurately is a hole we pour time, money and components into for no return.

My current .22H is a 219B savage and a really nice ol single ! Finding a falling block that shot as well as the 219 would be a good lick!

OL Deuce

Shawlerbrook
01-16-2017, 02:10 PM
Have contenders in 10 & 16" versions and both are one hole shooters if I do my part. Would love to have a Marlin 1894 or Winchester 1892 in a 22 Hornet if only they made one.

Blackwater
01-19-2017, 05:21 PM
I don't own one, but I got to handle one in .22 LR not long ago in the LGS. It was a beauty! The one I handled was slick as glass, and wood to metal fit was excellent. Didn't get to shoot it, but know the fellow who has it. I was truly impressed with it, at least from what I saw of it. And a Hornet would be my choice as well. Lyman cast manual lists loads with cast from 1060 fps. to 1800 or so, and that's a very useful range of velocities for a little .22. At 2 gr. per .22 LR equivalent, you'd get 3500 rds. from a single pound of powder! It just can't get much cheaper than that, and would probably work out LESS than 5 cents a round. A mold without a GC would REALLY be cheap! And it'd probably (surely?) be a real hoot to shoot, and even hunt with as well! It'd probably be hard to miss with it. Chiapa, from what I hear, doesn't have the BEST reputation for quality, but all I could see looked pretty top notch, and it was so slick in operation that I couldn't help but think it'd do a good job. It sho' was purdy!!!

OlDeuce
01-19-2017, 11:30 PM
I don't own one, but I got to handle one in .22 LR not long ago in the LGS. It was a beauty! The one I handled was slick as glass, and wood to metal fit was excellent. Didn't get to shoot it, but know the fellow who has it. I was truly impressed with it, at least from what I saw of it. And a Hornet would be my choice as well. Lyman cast manual lists loads with cast from 1060 fps. to 1800 or so, and that's a very useful range of velocities for a little .22. At 2 gr. per .22 LR equivalent, you'd get 3500 rds. from a single pound of powder! It just can't get much cheaper than that, and would probably work out LESS than 5 cents a round. A mold without a GC would REALLY be cheap! And it'd probably (surely?) be a real hoot to shoot, and even hunt with as well! It'd probably be hard to miss with it. Chiapa, from what I hear, doesn't have the BEST reputation for quality, but all I could see looked pretty top notch, and it was so slick in operation that I couldn't help but think it'd do a good job. It sho' was purdy!!!

Blackwater... you sure could push a guy into the creek!!! :-) Chiappa was one but there lots of importers and I feel it is a Buyers market just not to jump to fast!! Been talking of one in my home town and guys say they are around!! The High End is made in Montana ! I'd rather own 2 shooters than one SHOW Rifle:roll: The Low Wall also grabs my eye ..................I'm a Winchester Guy all the way with a really Nice
Shiloh Sharps the little Sharps would just fit right in:mrgreen:

OL Deuce