PDA

View Full Version : Best father in-law ever

jessdigs
01-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Hello guys. I'm new here, and this is my first post. I want to say how much fun I am having reloading and shooting, and tell the story of how I got into this hobby. I have been reloading for a little less than a year now, and it is all thanks to my father in-law. He likes guns and knows how much I enjoy them, and we sometimes shoot together. So last year we were at Scheels buying ammo and mags, and I started looking at the reloading section. Having never hand loaded before, or even researched it, I was completely overwhelmed and had no idea what I was looking at. I just knew that it was all expensive and more than I wanted to spend to find out if this was for me. When the salesman came over I let him know that I was just browsing, but started asking questions. He asked how much I shot, and how much I spend on ammo, and I told him it was a lot. He told me that I would probably benefit from reloading. At that point my father in law stepped in and asked the salesman what would it take to get going? The salesman starting pointing things out, explained the difference between single stage, turret, and progressive, and my father in law asked what he would recommend, then he just started putting stuff in the cart. I figured that my wife's dad was going to take up a new hobby, and I might get to use his equipment, but then he told me that he has been looking for something nice to get me for a while but he had no idea what to get me. My father in-law pretty much bought my entire reloading setup, a Dillon RL550B, caliber conversions for .223 and .40, Dillon primer flip tray, lee balance scale, Scheels powder dispensing digital scale (powder charger 1500), Frankford Arsenal case trim and prep center, case lube, calipers, bullets, brass, a reloading book, and a bunch more little things. Close to 3k worth of stuff,
and it felt like supermarket sweep.... Like we were running down each isle with his arm extended and raking in one of everything. Everything to get me started.
So far I have added a rotary case tumbler, media seperator, 3 quick change kits with powder measures, and additional dies and caliber conversions for 9mm and .45 and of course more "boolits," primers, and powder. Oh, and a bullet puller for the mistakes. I have each caliber set up where I just change the tool head and leave the dies adjusted, and install the shell plate and Brass pins. I really like that feature of the Dillon.
I am very thankful to my father in law. I am not normally the kind of person who is comfortable taking gifts, and especially a big gift like that, but I am very grateful and happy I took him up on his offer. I have loaded several thousand rounds now, have made some mistakes, learned a lot, and have a whole lot to learn. I haven't had any squibs or FTF, but I have forgot to prime a few cases and put powder in them making a huge mess. So far I am glad that I started with a progressive press, and I can kind of use it as a single stage when I want.
Anyways, I just found this forum and like having a whole board dedicated to reloading. Looking forward to taking to you all.

Taylor
01-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Welcome,and I'm glad you have family like that.

Personally,I do not like my SIL.

lefty o
01-13-2017, 09:13 PM
does he have any more daughters?

jessdigs
01-13-2017, 09:41 PM
Thank you Taylor. Lefty I'm sorry, no other daughters. Just a son.

PaulG67
01-13-2017, 10:00 PM
Well he certainly got you started off right with a Dillon, The kind of father in law I wish I had. Be careful and learn well and welcome to the forum.

Taylor
01-13-2017, 10:04 PM
does he have any more daughters?

Must be getting old,didn't even think of that.

Pee Wee
01-13-2017, 10:43 PM
Congratulation, I had a great father in law also. He was like a father to me, sure do miss him.

Minerat
01-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Hope you are feeding his guns too. Just remember "You'll save money reloading" and wait till you get into casting. You'll save so much you will be making deposits in the bank daily.[smilie=1:

In all seriousness you got a first rate setup that should last you forever. Welcome to the group!

Bzcraig
01-13-2017, 10:58 PM
That is awesome! Never had a FIL and don't like either of the SIL'S, but I sure admire those relationships. And welcome aboard!

GlockGuy
01-13-2017, 11:07 PM
That is awesome!

Plate plinker
01-13-2017, 11:42 PM
Lucky guy welcome aboard. You better be treating the wife well.

Drew P
01-14-2017, 12:19 AM
Isn't it interesting how a guy could be so fond of a younger guy who is sleeping with his daughter. Sounds like a pleasant fellow indeed.

skeettx
01-14-2017, 12:27 AM
Welcome and Well done
Keep up the fun reloading
Mike

tigweldit
01-14-2017, 12:34 AM
jessdigs, you lucky dog! Welcome to a site that will walk you through all the problems you will encounter in this new adventure/hobby. You have a great start, equipment wise, and a wonderfully generous father in law who believes in you. Look at reloading as a hobby, how well you can get your firearms to shoot through your efforts, and not how much money you save by reloading. Be safe. Don't cut corners. Collect all the information that you can. Have fun.

runfiverun
01-14-2017, 01:00 AM
keep your eyes open for a used single stage press.
even with the Dillons i use the heck out of my O-frames and the summit i have.
just pre-sizing the rifle stuff so i can clean the lube off the cases before running them through the 550 turns out to be a time saver in the long run.
it's also great to set the Dillon size-trimmer up on a single stage.

jessdigs
01-14-2017, 01:55 AM
keep your eyes open for a used single stage press.
even with the Dillons i use the heck out of my O-frames and the summit i have.
just pre-sizing the rifle stuff so i can clean the lube off the cases before running them through the 550 turns out to be a time saver in the long run.
it's also great to set the Dillon size-trimmer up on a single stage.

Funny that you should say that, I am heading to Scheels this weekend to get something to de-prime and size before tumbling. I was going to just buy one new though as there are slim pickings as far as used equipment out here in Commifornia. The liberals out here think that just holding a can of gunpowder is a felony here. They are probably going to ban reloading in the next two years.

jessdigs
01-14-2017, 02:03 AM
[QUOTE=Minerat;3910139]Hope you are feeding his guns too.

He likes 9mm, but the prices are so cheap right now that I didn't really have a need to load them. I went ahead and bought all of the materials to lead 9 so that he could shoot some ammo that I made for him, and I have been shooting it too.

jeepyj
01-14-2017, 02:39 AM
Interesting how different family relations can be . Let's just say I'm a bit jealous not so much for what he bought you just that how much he must respect you. It sounds like to me you must take care of his precious daughter. Enjoy your hobby!

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2017, 05:45 AM
you must be a pretty good young man if he likes you that much.

lightman
01-14-2017, 07:47 AM
you must be a pretty good young man if he likes you that much.

Thats what I was going to say. Anyway, Welcome aboard! I knew one of these guys was going to ask about a sister! Ha!

Taylor
01-14-2017, 07:53 AM
I would venture to say the father in law is the fortunate one.By getting a son he can trust to be brought into his family,and to love and care for his daughter and grandchildren.

Randy C
01-14-2017, 08:29 AM
Your in the right place at the right time, You have a good Family and a good hobby. Welcome aboard.

XDROB
01-14-2017, 08:49 AM
That is kinda the way I started. BUT, I had to buy most of it myself. Had a few things donated , but all is well.
Congratulations on having a great relationship with your FIL.
An old Reloaders (older then me) LOL told me you are always learn something new as you progress through the YEARS of reloading. It's soo sweet when you find that perfect recipe for your peticulur gun.😎

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

XDROB
01-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Isn't it interesting how a guy could be so fond of a younger guy who is sleeping with his daughter. Sounds like a pleasant fellow indeed.
Now that's too funny.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jessdigs
01-15-2017, 01:31 AM
:wink::shock:

Maybe he forgave me when he got his grandkids������

shoot-n-lead
01-15-2017, 02:06 AM
Yep...he's a keeper!

Just mind your manners and don't make your wife mad.[smilie=b:

starmac
02-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Man the price a guy has tp pay to keep a guy from sending his daughter back home. lol
Just kidding, sounds like you have a great relationship going.

TNsailorman
02-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Welcome aboard. Be forewarned though, there is no known cure for the disease your are playing around with. I've had it for 57 plus years now and even as an antique myself, I just can't quit. I have been known to get busy in my reloading room and look up at the clock to find it says 1 or 2 in the a.m.. I am still chasing the perfect load, it just has to be out there somewhere. Enjoy your misery, james

CHeatermk3
02-22-2017, 12:01 AM
Definately get yourself a single-stage press, and the Lee universal decapping die--then tumble and re-size on the o-frame--tumble again and then off to the races on the 550.

That's how I do it anyway--for rifle ammo.