PDA

View Full Version : New Mountain Mold

crabo
06-25-2008, 08:25 PM
I decided to take the plunge and try a custom mold. (acting as if I actually knew something about boolit design) With a little help from Bass Ackward, I think I came up with a winner.

It is a 180 grain gc for my 357 revolvers, Marlin 357 lever rifle, and 357 Max handgun. I can't wait to start doing some load developement. It has a tangetial
ogive and a 73% meplat. (I stole that number from Glen Fryxell's article on the 357 Max)

I was wanting an all around hunting, pistol cartridge silhouette boolit. Only time will tell if I got lucky. It also had to feed from the tube with my lever rifle when crimped in the crimp groove. It does.

Oh, by the way, what a nice mold. It really casts well. I think the mold is easily worth the $90.

Crabo

GLL
06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
VERY pretty ! Let us know how they shoot in the .357MAX!

Jerry

miestro_jerry
06-25-2008, 08:42 PM
I have been shooting a Lyman 215gr SWC in my Max and my 586. This is an older mold, it came out about the time the Max did. I never owned a Max revo;ver, but it is the perfect round for the Conternders, which I have the 10" and Super 14 barrels.

That is a nice bullet design, please post your results of loading and shooting these. I am sort of looking for a slightly lighter bullet for my Max.

Thanks,

Jerry

Glen
06-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Nice looking bullet! I've got something similar in 200 grains that I'm playing with this summer -- specifically designed for the S&W N-frame, the Marlin levergun and the .357 Maximum.

Blammer
06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Very nice looking bullet!

Hope it shoots well for you!

Meatco1
06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Terrific looking bullets.

BassAckward did the design for my Clements .50 ROA conversion bullet mold.

Without his knowledge, I would still be trying to figure out Mt. Molds design chart!!!

Richard

dragonrider
06-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Nice lookin boolit, I may just have to pull the trigger on an MM mould soon.

yondering
06-25-2008, 10:56 PM
How did you get the MM software to give you a lube groove directly over the gas check shank instead of a driving band? I've been looking at something similar, but in .452, and it wants to put the gas check up against a rear driving band.

GLL
06-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Crabo:

Would you be willing to share your specs from the MM design form??

I for one would love to get a duplicate of your mould !

Best Regards,

Jerry

crabo
06-26-2008, 01:49 AM
I couldn't copy and paste so here goes

180 grains from WW Secant bullet design

As cast bullet diameter .360

Front and bottom bands .360

Front band length .100

Nose length .325

Crimp groove .055 long groove

Meplat 73%

Bore ride N/A

.3415 step shank for Hornady/Gator check

length of base or shank .110

Groove to band ratio .8

groove angle 45 degree

I ordered the XL Block 2 cavity 14 oz and he sent me back a $10 and said the 12 oz would work fine, and it did.

stud and locknut

2 body bands and one lube groove. The stepped shank gives you the lube space above the check.

That's what I put in and out popped the mold. If anyone else orders this mold, I would love to hear the results. I am not going to have any time to test for a couple of weeks, but I'll let you know how the boolit shoots in my 586 and my Marlin.

There are bigger meplats to be had, but if it gets too large, it won't chamber in the lever gun. the LBT FN is a good example of this. It won't chamber when crimped in the crimp groove of a 357 case. As I understand it from Bass, the larger meplat is going to hurt long range accuracy. Glen says the 73% is a good number for a combination of hitting hard and accuracy. I also think this is very close to what 45r is shooting, but I deleted the info I got from him.

Crabo

GLL
06-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Crabo:

Thank you very much!

I will feed in the data and see what I get.

Best Regards,

Jerry

475/480
07-09-2008, 08:34 AM
How did you get the MM software to give you a lube groove directly over the gas check shank instead of a driving band? I've been looking at something similar, but in .452, and it wants to put the gas check up against a rear driving band.

You can tell the sofware how long a gas check shank you want. If it is .110" change the length to .120".

S