PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what forum to ask.

44man
01-13-2017, 01:25 PM
2003 4 Runner starts right up but get up town and shut it off, no voltage to starter. Lights come on and radio.
I hear a click from a relay in the fuse box. A starter does not use a relay or fuse but if I remove the cover and rap all in there with my knuckle, the car will start.
Anyone know what would stop the starter?

smokeywolf
01-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Starter solenoid maybe.

44man
01-13-2017, 01:56 PM
Starter solenoid maybe.
No, voltage is not reaching it. Don't know if the puter is involved or not. I have no schematic to follow.
Carol says to hit the unlock button on the key fob that I did not try. This thing has an alarm system that drives me nuts. It might shut down START!

smokeywolf
01-13-2017, 02:00 PM
It might shut down START!

That's a good bet.

bdicki
01-13-2017, 02:14 PM
There appears to be a starter relay controlled by the PCM/ECM
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Joecamel90/2009-01-22_215248_toy_4runner_relay_fuse_95.gif
Google is your friend.

44man
01-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Doesn't look like mine, will look more. No relay is labeled as a starter relay.

roadie
01-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Is the ignition or key well worn? The anti theft can cause problems if they are. Could also be the chip in the key not communicating with the anti theft.....seen that if Fords.

daloper
01-13-2017, 02:55 PM
Seen what roadie said in a Chrysler that my son-in-law had.

bdicki
01-13-2017, 07:20 PM
How about this one?
http://circuitswiring.com/circuit-diagrams/1/2014/03/2003-Toyota-4-Runner-Fuse-Box-Diagram.gif

runfiverun
01-13-2017, 07:26 PM
if you can tap in the fuse box and it starts, you either got a relay issue or a corrosion issue under it.

jsizemore
01-13-2017, 11:29 PM
I have found sockets or fuse/relay contacts with plastic melted so that contact couldn't be made or barely made especially high current circuits like starter or halogen lights.

myg30
01-14-2017, 08:36 AM
44 man, I found this and seems to be same as yours.

I bought my 2003 T4R new and never had any problems. Starting last year, I began having trouble with it because it would start just fine, then it wouldn't start at all. No starter, no turning over, nothing. After time passed, it would start just fine but later that day or the next day it would leave my wife stranded (not good). I replaced the battery but that didn't fix the issue. The behavior was so sporadic I didn't want to take it to the dealership because I knew they wouldn't be able to fix it or make it fail. I read in these forums that replacing a relay in the fuse box would fix the problem so I bought a new one ($80) and replaced what I thought was the failing relay. A few days later, it failed again in our garage so I asked my wife to open the hood to make sure the relay was seated correctly. As soon as I touched the fuse box cover under the hood it started. I opened the fuse box and re-seated the relay but it was in tight. As I began pressing the other fuses, the 4Runner sputtered and stopped. I asked her to try it again and I pressed the other fuses and it sputter and stopped again. This time, I saw a spark come out of the EFI fuse. I checked the fuse and it was good but one of the pins was bent inwards. I replaced the EFI (10) fuse and it stopped sputtering. I removed the EFI fuse and it had the same behavior we were having (no starter, no turning over, nothing). I'm thinking the fuse was losing contact when the vehicle warmed up. Either way, we have not had the starting problem again. I hope this helps someone who may have this problem. If anything, it may save you the money of needlessly purchasing a costly relay.

If not the fuse then as R5R said wiring under the box or connections, dirty or corroded contacts on fuse or relay contacts. Pull each and inspect for corrosion, melted plastic around the slots where the contacts seat. A fuse that looks discolored inside the colored plastic case, hairline crack where fuse arcs but not completely blown.. A bright flashlight looking into the contact slots might help show corrosion

Good luck. Mike

44man
01-14-2017, 09:09 AM
The picture shown is different too but MYG30 has the best answer. I will check all when the freezing rain goes away.

popper
01-14-2017, 12:51 PM
EFI has to start the fuel pump before the starter can run. I have the factory repair manual in zip format i can email if you want it. Forget which site i got it from. IIRC it was a toyota user forum.

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2017, 07:09 AM
if auto it could be your neutral safety switch. if a stick your clutch safety switch. Sounds though like its a relay. Id check the main power relay first. You can take a chunk of wire and make a jumper and keep trying the different relays till you find the one giving you troubleSounds though like its a relay. Id check the main power relay first. You can take a chunk of wire and make a jumper and keep trying the different relays till you find the one giving you trouble
2003 4 Runner starts right up but get up town and shut it off, no voltage to starter. Lights come on and radio.
I hear a click from a relay in the fuse box. A starter does not use a relay or fuse but if I remove the cover and rap all in there with my knuckle, the car will start.
Anyone know what would stop the starter?

Lloyd Smale
01-16-2017, 06:52 AM
did you find the problem?

44man
01-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Been working and too cold to fool with it and we are getting rain again.
I will let you know what I find.