PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary testing of new Knight inline

Maven
06-25-2008, 07:27 PM
The weather today was just about perfect for a trip to the range to try my new Knight Bighorn .50cal. inline (open sights), which I did. Since I didn't have any conicals to test*, I had to settle for RB's, which I was told wouldn't shoot well in the 1:28 twist. Well, that advice was 1/2 right. The .495" RB's shot poorly, while their slightly smaller brethren, .490" RB's were quite accurate. Past experience with muzzle loading rifles has taught me to try a larger RB (.495") with a tight patch (.018") for optimum results. Indeed, this has been especially accurate in my Lyman Great Plains (1:60 twist or slower I think) as well as my Dixie flintlock. However, there was no joy with that combination in the inline, even when using only 50grs. Pyro. RS. Groups were 4" - 5" @ 50 yds. Actually, that was the second load I tested. The first one, using a .490" RB + .010" patch put 3 or more touching @ 50 yds. with 50grs. Pyro. RS. All patches were lubed with Ox-Yoke's Wonder Lube, btw. Moreover, instead of #11 percussion caps, I tried Win. shotshell primers with & without the discs (no difference in performance) since I had quite a few on hand from an earlier shotshell disassembly/component recovery project. As the rifle came with 5 black [vinyl] sabots + ~230gr. HP lead boolits (swaged?), I saved them for last, but boosted the powder charge to 80grs. They were only slightly more accurate than the not-so-good .495" RB load chain plus they left some vinyl fouling behind so I wouldn't forget how poorly they did.

Cleaning: I thought inlines would be a snap to clean, but this one is more labor intensive than cleaning my muzzle loaders! The action was absolutely filthy from primer residue as was the bolt/hammer. The barrel wasn't too bad, but Knight wants you to completely remove the barreled action from the stock (very easy) and the trigger group (very easy) and bolt/hammer too (ditto) to clean it. Except for the trigger group, you clean as you would any muzzle loader and then reassemble the piece. Start to finish took me ~20mins. and I wasn't rushing.

Who'd have guessed that a slightly smaller ball & patch combination (.490" + .010") would perform as well as it did, and on the first three firings to boot? I didn't expect it, but am very happy that it did!

P.S. The two R.E.A.L. molds (250gr. & 320gr.) I ordered from Lee Precision arrived about 2 hrs. after I returned from the range. Degreasing, casting and possibly lapping (polishing) them will start tomorrow.

Junior1942
06-25-2008, 08:17 PM
That 320 gr REAL bullet really shoots well in my Lyman GPH 1 in 32" twist.

Geraldo
06-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I've got a GM 1:28 .45 barrel that shoots roundball very well, so I'm not surprised that you fast twist inline does as well. What does surprise me is that .010" patches were part of the combo. I've never had good luck using a patch that thin. The last time I used them my fifty yard group looked like a shotgun pattern.

corey012778
06-25-2008, 11:42 PM
great to hear, and thanks for the tip on the patchs, I got .010". may give them a try next time out

Buckshot
06-26-2008, 02:35 AM
..................Paul, howze about some 425gr paper patched slugs to liven things up a bit?

..............Buckshot

Maven
06-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Rick, Great minds (?) think alike, as I tried to PP some CB's for the .45-70 to that end. Unfortunately, 2 wraps of very old Eaton erasable typing paper (.003" thickness, same as a $1 bill) brought the diameter up to .471" from .459". If you're offering, I'd be very pleased to try a few. Btw, the saboted bullets I wrote of yesterday were .510" prior to inserting them into the bbl., but they weren't especially accurate. Also, my Lee R.E.A.L. molds are in a pot of soapy boiling water as I write. Ergo, you'll be hearing from me in the next week or so re the lubing die.

Corey, I was quite surprised to discover that the .010" patch/.490" ball combination worked as well as it did. 100% cotton pillow ticking or pocket drill of that thickness is pretty easy to find at your favorite fabric store if you bring a micrometer with you. (Store personnel are quite helpful once they see the mike.)

corey012778
06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
once I get a little time, I'll hit some stores

Maven
06-26-2008, 01:39 PM
All, I was surprised by the .010" patch myself, but such a patch performed very well in my Dixie flinter last week with a slightly larger RB. Moreover, I experienced no blown patches either, so I'm quite pleased. As for the R.E.A.L.'s, I finished lapping the molds and casting a few hours ago and got virtually perfect castings with very little effort. They literally just fall out of the mold when I open it. I'll weigh them prior to heading to the range, but I don't know how well they'll perform. In my .45cal. T/C Hawken 1:48 bbl., 5 R.E.A.L.'s would touch @ 50yds. using 70grs. - 80grs. Pyro. RS, so I'm hoping they'll perform as well in the Knight.

Sights: The fiber optic sights (Williams) that came with the rifle are OK, but I may remove them and add a Williams receiver sight to improve (defuzz) my sight picture. Also, since you have to dismount & disassemble the rifle to clean it (muzzle in pail of hot, soapy water routine), I'm a bit hesitant to mount a scope on it. If you're interested in the Williams receiver sight, their (Williams') stock no. is #54252 (FP Legend Silver), but they're out of them at present (45 - 60 day wait according to them) and Brownells doesn't ordinarily stock that model, but it is available via their special order desk, ext. 5392.

freddyp
06-28-2008, 01:35 AM
I have a Ruger 77-50 that will shoot roundballs very well. I use a Hornady Hard Ball plastic patch/sabot and a .490 pure lead ball. I load it with 85gr of Pyro P and clean between shots. At 75 yards it will group then around one inch. The twist of the barrel is 1-28, so I quess every barrel is a rule onto itself.