PDA

View Full Version : Seating Depth of NOE-311-202-RN...

BCB
01-12-2017, 05:37 PM
I got my MGM Encore barrel today in 30-40 Krag…

I am planning on shooting the NOE 311-202-RN out of it…

Since the 311-202-RN is a bore rider I am curious as to how far the nose of the boolit should be into the rifling—if at all…

I seated a few just messing with it and I am getting marks on the nose even when the boolit is seated deeper than the crimp groove (although that front groove may still be classified as a lube groove also)…

I wonder if that boolit is to be seated over the front driving band and crimped at that location…

Without doing fairly precise measuring, I think if the boolit was seated that deep into the case, the rifling might not contact the nose of the boolit…

How much is too much for the nose to actually contact the rifling?...

Thanks…BCB

w30wcf
01-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Ideally, the whole bore riding nose should be into the barrel with the first driving band close to or touching the rifling. If the diameter of the nose won't permit that then the best option would be to have a sizing die made to size the nose to the proper diameter.

Otherwise, seat the bullet so that it will still chamber ok and see how that works, being mindful that if the base of the bullet goes below the case neck there is always the possibility of telescoping into the case unless you are using a capacity load of slow burning powder.

w30wcf

BCB
01-13-2017, 07:25 AM
w30wcf...

Would you happen to have a pic of a nose-sizing die? Anyone else have a pic...

How do they work?...

Thanks...BCB

w30wcf
01-13-2017, 08:13 PM
The one I have used is like a bullet size lube die in the lubrisizer. I run them in nose first into the die hen the ejector pin pushes the bullet back out. If you still have your RCBS lubrisizer that would work perfectly with the proper sized custom die.

W30wcf

BCB
01-14-2017, 09:18 AM
The one I have used is like a bullet size lube die in the lubrisizer. I run them in nose first into the die hen the ejector pin pushes the bullet back out. If you still have your RCBS lubrisizer that would work perfectly with the proper sized custom die.

W30wcf

Sounds good...

I will check to see if they make a sizing die in what I need, otherwise it might be to get one smaller and have it machined to proper size...

NOE might also be an option as suggested on another thread...

Thanks...BCB