PDA

View Full Version : Anyone making a Lyman 356404 copy?

Wheelgun
01-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Is anyone making a copy/clone of this boolit? I just picked up a very nice Colt Mustang .380. I haven't had one in a while, and I'd like to start casting for this one. I can't seem to find a lyman 356404 anywhere. From what I've read this is an excellent boolit for the .380. If no one makes a close copy currently, I'm thinking of having one custom made.

Thanks for any help

dkf
01-12-2017, 03:23 PM
None that I found. Though maybe it is in the Accurate catalog by now. Me and several others tried to get NOE or Mihec to make some a couple years ago but it got pushed aside and forgotten about. Since NOE has the new site up you could always see if there is enough interest to get a buy started over there. I have a 2 cavity of the 356404 so I could send him some samples. NOE can do hollowpoint molds which is nice.

There was a 4 cavity on fleabay the other month that I was watching. I already had a 2 cavity and the price was getting up there so I let it go. They come up for sale sometimes in the classifieds here but not too often. The Lee 356-95RF is a good .380 bullet too and is available in a 6 cavity. I use that bullet in my .380 too.

Wheelgun
01-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Ok thanks. I'd love to have a Mihec or NOE version. I'll look at the Accurate website and see if they do. I've never had an Accurate mold, but have only heard good things. If you can get enough interest for a group buy, I'd definitely be in for one, maybe two.

What size/weight is your lee dropping?? Ill look into the lee mold, I like lee molds, it's just a little lighter than I was wanting. But at least it's not a round nose like most other 380 molds.

Thanks again

dkf
01-12-2017, 11:49 PM
My Lee drops .360" on the one band if memory serves me right. It should drop at least .358" really. NOE has the TLC358-100-RF which is close to the same as the Lee but is 100gr instead of 95gr. It is the Ranch Dog design just with no 3 degree nose draft. From what I can see the difference between the 95gr and 100gr bullet is the ogive and the 95gr being just ever so slightly shorter.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=34_384

rintinglen
01-13-2017, 09:45 PM
^^^What he said. I have an older Colt Pocketlite Mustang that eats the original Ranch Dog 358-100's like a nine year old eats M&Ms. It is a TC mold designed for tumble lube. I think this will meet your needs, no problems.

Wheelgun
01-15-2017, 08:35 PM
Ok thanks guys. I think I'll start with the lee, and then probably add the the NOE Ranch Dog copy later. I'll still keep my eye out for a 356404, there's just something about that boolit I really like. Both the lee and the NOE both have a nice wide flat nose, so I think they should work well for me.

Thanks again

tazman
01-15-2017, 09:00 PM
I have been using the Lee 95 grain in my 9mm with excellent results. I don't own a 380 so cannot say for sure about that cartridge, but see no reason why it wouldn't work equally as well.