PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity Killed The ....

ChristopherO
01-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Muzzleloader deer season opened cold and quiet. Frozen toes notwithstanding I stayed the course in pursuit of filling my last tag. I've nearly always used cast boolits out of my muzzleloaders. T/C Maxi Hunters of my making always served me well. Even gave my Knight inline and sabots to my brother years ago as I rather use the side hammers and open sights, at least as long as my eyes will allow. This year I wanted a second try with a 50 caliber patched round ball. Only used this combo once 3 seasons ago with aplomb on a large doe 30 steps away. Was that a fluke or? The rifle is the Blue Ridge long rifle sold by Cabelas inherited nearly 20 years ago from a long lost friend. He cast the round balls I would be using, as well.

Quietly stepping to the edge of a sizable field revealed 3 does grazing at least 150 yard out. I am good with this rifle to 100 yards on milk jugs off hand but this was just too far. Then, one of the does started angling toward another group of does far to my right. Her path was leading her closer by the step. Something about that other group of deer further down the field just made her want to check them out. On she went. I decided if she stepped into 100 yards I'd shoot. She did, and then I did.
The thump was nearly as loud as the gunshot. I could instantly see why as her left front leg was flopping loosely as she ran off toward the woods. Darn, I'm not that confident of the round ball making it into the chest cavity after breaking a leg on a 100 or so yard shot. Not a drop of blood on the snow to follow, either.
I search long and hard. On the grid search following the ridge lines looking down in to the creek bed I started crossing the hilltop to look into the drainage ditch on the other side. Stopping to pray that my Father in heaven (not my earthly Dad) would show me where she was I happened to look to my left and there, to my utter amazement she lay on the top of the ridge. I would have never believed she would have run uphill after a hit like this but was pleased as can be to have recovered her.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt167/WoodenBows/Various%20Muzzleloading%20Pictures/2017%20PRB%20Doe%20with%20Blue%20Ridge%2050%20Cal_ zpsgeoicifs.jpg (http://s608.photobucket.com/user/WoodenBows/media/Various%20Muzzleloading%20Pictures/2017%20PRB%20Doe%20with%20Blue%20Ridge%2050%20Cal_ zpsgeoicifs.jpg.html)

The ball did indeed shatter the foreleg just above the knee. From there it veered back into the chest cavity. The heart showed no trauma nor did the lungs have any gaping holes, but the lungs did appear to be blood shot, which led to her demise. The ball was nowhere to be found in the chest cavity. I wouldn't want to chance that shot with a round ball again but thankfully it did it's job well enough. Jerky is on the menu again!

CastingFool
01-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Congrats on the ML doe, Christopher0! Isn't it great to have help from our Heavenly Father? He helped me find my buck this last fall. To make a story short, I looked for blood, found none. Said a quick prayer, and I immediately saw blood where I had just looked a moments before. Buck was found under a blowdown, not very far from the blood.

tdoyka
01-11-2017, 06:49 PM
congrats!!!

Smoke4320
01-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Congrads on a kill and a good story

Multigunner
01-11-2017, 07:31 PM
A relative shot a 90 lb whitetail straight in the heart with a 338 magnum, blasting the heart completely out through the exit wound, and that deer still managed to run about 50 feet.

One of the fastest dogs I've ever seen was an old female that lost one hind leg at the hip joint.

Animals can show amazing vitality even after massive wounds.

shoot-n-lead
01-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Congrats!

And, thank you for giving credit, where it was due...GOD.

hc18flyer
01-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Congrads on a kill and a good story
I couldn't agree more! Something about taking a nice deer with a traditional sidelong or flinter that is hard to explain, but satisfies the soul. I rarely take shots that long with 60 year old eyes, but a few years ago while shooting my French Tulle smooth bore a LOT!, I took a very nice 5 x 5 at 70 yards off a good rest. I never have to shoot another buck!
hc18flyer

richhodg66
01-11-2017, 08:39 PM
I like hunting with muzzle loaders. The Kansas ML season is in September, so warm weather and unalarmed deer. People have talked a long time about moving it to January, I hope they don't.

Nice job on the doe. Should make some good eating.

TXGunNut
01-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Congrats on a good hunt! I put a .54 1/66 barrel on a T/C percussion rifle years ago with the intention of hunting with her someday. I enjoy shooting this old smokepole but she's never been hunting. Thanks to your story I may put that rifle back on my project list. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us, nicely done!

smokeywolf
01-13-2017, 02:34 AM
Very nice job ChristopherO. The Lord helps those who help themselves. You were putting food on the table for yourself, family, neighbors or all of those.

I especially like that you went old school and did it with a muzzle loader.

Thumbcocker
01-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Congratulations on a nice long head.

CITYREPO61
01-13-2017, 11:08 AM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who asks God to help him track!

smoked turkey
01-13-2017, 01:04 PM
I would like to add my congratulations to you for a well done hunt with a happy ending. I used my Knight along with the TC 340 gr Maxi-Hunter boolit to shoot a nice size (body weight) spike during our Alternative Weapons season. I don't have the mold but would like to have one because I do like the terminal effects of that big 50 caliber hunk of lead.
I too give thanks to our Heavenly Father who owns the game on a thousand hills for a successful meat harvest. I had to track this particular buck further than I thought and did ask for His assistance in finding it. This particular one was really dead on his feet, but as has been said, they can take a lickin and keep on tickin. They have tremendous go power sometimes. I have done a bang-flop, but it is rare for me. they usually go 40 to 60 yards before giving it up.

ChristopherO
01-13-2017, 04:17 PM
I appreciate all the well wishes, gentlemen. It was a very good day in the field and am glad to have contributed to this forum. All the best,
Christopher

skeettx
01-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Outstanding
God is good!
Congrats on the harvesting of the deer
Mike

rodwha
01-13-2017, 05:31 PM
I too give thanks to our Heavenly Father who owns the game on a thousand hills for a successful meat harvest.

Nice! Made me think of the Third Day song titled These Thousand Hills:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hb2Dnph9sI0

Texas by God
01-13-2017, 05:39 PM
God knows. When you pray he shows. Good show old chap! Best, Thomas.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-13-2017, 05:54 PM
Good work! I too, inherited a very similar smoke pole that I have been trying to make meat with, but no luck to date. Maybe some day...

MT Gianni
01-14-2017, 11:29 PM
Breaking a front leg will cause an animal to remove the weight off of it by transferring it to the rear legs. IOW, they go up if possible. Good job on the deer.