PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Single Seven .327 - anyone?

Triggernosis
01-11-2017, 10:32 AM
Does anyone here have a Single Seven?

BK7saum
01-11-2017, 10:37 AM
yes, and there are quite a few here with the single seven I believe. What do you want to know about them? Brad

sandman228
01-11-2017, 07:33 PM
I used to have a 7.5 inch single seven and a gp100 in 327 fed. but I sold the gp100 and traded the single seven straight up for a bisley Blackhawk 45 colt when I was trying to cut down on calibers . the single seven is a great gun I just owned too many calibers and wanted to cut down .

Triggernosis
01-11-2017, 08:47 PM
yes, and there are quite a few here with the single seven I believe. What do you want to know about them? Brad
I want to know the good, the bad, and need some convincing that I really need one.

jrayborn
01-11-2017, 09:06 PM
I own one of each model. Trust me, run away! You want nothing to do with the darn things as they seem to multiply...

rintinglen
01-11-2017, 09:11 PM
I have two. A 5.5 inch and a 7.5 Inch gun. The long barreled gun is a favorite of mine, although it did not start out that way. The early production guns were wretched. Nearly all of them had the loading gates cut too shallow to allow 327 cartridges to be feed. I sent the 7.5 inch gun back to Ruger and fixed the 5 1/2 myself. The 7.5 inch gun is very accurate. I have managed two honest 1 inch groups with it, and with my vision these days that says a lot for the gun.

They are great with cast boolits.

Guesser
01-11-2017, 09:28 PM
I suffered the loading gate problem but that is not my most dissatisfying point with mine. The cylinder is shorter than any other 327 marketed. Reason: the Single Six frame opening limits the length of the cylinder. I load the longer heavier bullets in 327; because of the short cylinder I must seat the bullets deeper in the case. The loads I had for my Taurus 327B2; the Charter Arms Target Patriot and the Ruger SP-101 can't be used in the Single 7. That means I have to maintain a separate ammo supply for the Single 7; I don't like that. I take the Single 7 to gun shows looking for something to trade it toward, it is going away, just a matter of time. Probably be replaced with a Henry in 327.

snowwolfe
01-11-2017, 11:21 PM
I bought one. Had to send it back to Ruger because it shot to far to one side. Believed they bent the barrel and fixed it. It shoots really good but I have no idea what it will be used for.

Triggernosis
01-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Thanks, guys - please keep the discussions coming.

I most likely will have to purchase one sight-unseen via the internet and have it shipped to my local FFL. Is there a way to tell, in advance, whether it's a later model that may be more refined or an earlier model that may have some issues?

Crank
01-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Triggernosis,
I have an early one (7 1/2") and haven't noticed any issues during the 100rds I ran through it, but agree that concerns have been voiced by some. I wouldn't lose sleep over it and go ahead and get one. I sold my OM .30 Carbine since they filled the same desire and I love .32's. It's a screamer in .327 and you have all of the other .32 rounds you can fire out of it when you want to tone it down. I definitely have not shot this as extensively as many others, but haven't found any reason to part with it. My love of the .327 was enough to make me build a .327 out of a S&W Model 64-7 so I could have a fixed sight medium frame. I also have the GP-100 and a Dan Wesson I converted. JMHO

Mark

Jeff Michel
01-12-2017, 01:25 PM
I also have an early 5 1/2 and 4 5/8, haven't had any problems with either. I have shot very little .327 ammo out of either, mainly stick with .32 Mag with a 325 Saeco over 4 grains of Herco or 3 Grains of WST. Mild and accurate.

Thundarstick
01-12-2017, 02:31 PM
I've both the 5 1/2 and 7 1/2. Zero problems with either.

Rebel Dave
01-12-2017, 03:17 PM
My 5 1/2 in single seven is one of my favorite revolvers. No problems, except, its a little finnicy on loading/unloading, in that you can't over rotate it at all, if you do you have to go all the way round, again. It's a great little gun, shoots what ever I feed it real good. I have no regrets on buying it.

Rebel Dave

Triggernosis
01-12-2017, 03:30 PM
So many people talk about the .327 being a "screamer". That's not what I want, I have a .357 Magnum for that. I'm more interested in medium to soft loads to enjoy pleasurable plinking with.

Crank
01-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Triggernosis,
I just want you to know, I didn't make that reference to pigeonhole the cartridge and apologize for any confusion. It's like owning a quality vehicle that also has a powerful engine, the daily driving can be very satisfying, but is always nice to have power on tap when needed. I also have .32 H&R Magnums, .32 Longs and .32 ACP's. I just love them all and the .327 is just the latest incarnation. As I type this, I patiently await the release of my Colt Officers Model .32 from CA. gun jail and it's destined for regular use, not some fluffed up safe queen. Until someone offers a quality DA revolver with a barrel longer than 4.2" (GP-100), your best bets are the SA guns out there and the Ruger is an excellent choice in a reasonable size.

Mark

Triggernosis
01-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Understood, Mark - thanks.

rintinglen
01-12-2017, 08:50 PM
I would point out that even with a 'screamer" load, the Single 7 is pretty mild to shoot. I do not load the heavier boolits in mine. Most of my shooting is done with the two 100 grain boolits shown in the pic up above, 2nd and 3rd from the left. The MP 314-100 Hp and the NEI 32-100 SWC both shoot very well and I have no problems with leading even with warmish loads. That 32-100 SWC is very accurate over 11.8 grains of H-110, and I mean very.

However, given that you can shoot the everything from the 32 S&W up through the 32 H&R, in addition to the 327 itself,you can certainly find something to entertain yourself with.

WALLNUTT
01-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Didn't care for the one I had. I'd rather have the 32 H&R. At the same pressure levels there's very little difference between them considering they're the same frame and cylinder. Mine went back to Ruger and didn't return..

BK7saum
01-12-2017, 09:39 PM
I have never tried to ring out max velocity. In fact, to this point I have only loaded and shot 32 h&r ammo. I have 1k starline 327 fed brass that is still bagged up.

John Allen
01-12-2017, 10:49 PM
I got three I like them the only gripe I have is what was said above about the having to rotate all around if you do not line it up just right. I load mine light. I like the ability to load it hot but have never done it yet. I shoot mainly 32 hr mag in it. It is fun to shoot that way.

saleen322
01-13-2017, 01:30 AM
I have two 327 mags, a Blackhawk and a GP-100. Both of these have the long cylinder so you can load many different bullets and I have no plans to sell either one. My concern about the Single 7 has been cylinder length limiting you to lighter bullets than you can load in my two 327s. I don't have a Single 7 on my wish list but I do plan on picking up a Henry rifle in 327 magnum when they come out this year. Great round the 327 and it has multiple applications.

wrench
01-13-2017, 11:51 AM
I would love to have one of these, but it's got to be blue, and it's got to be a Bisley...that limits my choices a bit:(

dragon813gt
01-13-2017, 01:08 PM
I have the complete set. The indexing really annoys me but I've learned to live w/ it. None of mine had loading gate issues. But two of the three have suffered from base pin jump. It's not all the time but they will jump from time to time. If I didn't like the round and the guns themselves I would have sent them packing.

WALLNUTT
01-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Mine was a single seven so that is what my opinion is based on. A Blackhawk or SP101 might be a different matter. Ruger did however take good care of me.

Triggernosis
01-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Can the timing problem be corrected?

Guesser
01-13-2017, 09:38 PM
It's not a timing problem, it is the indexing. They kept the 6 round indexing and put a 7 round cylinder in it. That's all, just an inconvenience, as you must hold the cylinder in exact position when inserting or extracting from each chamber. if they had made it a 6 shot it would have been exactly right.

hendere
01-13-2017, 09:39 PM
I have a 5-1/2" Single Seven and I like it a lot. No problems at all with loading or unloading, but I did have base pin jumping issues with heavy loads. I picked up a Belt Mountain replacement and it works perfect without using the lock screw. I've had excellent results with 311316 (gas checked) and Arsenal 98 gr SWC PB Keiths. My notes are in the garage and it's too cold to go look but I remember that the Keith crimps in the groove with no length problems, won't swear to the 311316 but it seems like it was fine. Both worked best for me with hefty loads of 2400. I tried quite a bit to find a mid range load with the Keith and Unique but never found the right spot. I've not found the love with RCBS wadcutters. I'd love to hear what others have been getting with those. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Lee TL314-90 SWC seems to like light loads with Bullseye. I just started messing with that but have been pretty happy so far. Fun gun!

hendere
01-13-2017, 09:45 PM
I'll also add that heavy loads don't feel that heavy. The main reason I've searched for lighter loads is a fantasy of being incredibly cheap to shoot. I guess even the heavier loads are cheaper than 357 though....

Triggernosis
01-13-2017, 09:48 PM
Thanks, Guesser, for the timing explanation.

So y'all, maybe I'll be just as well off getting a regular Single Six in .32 H&R since I'm not really seeing myself wanting to shoot much .327 Fed Mag in it anyway. If I need to get some occasional "magnum jollies", how hot can I load the .32 H&R? The Single Six frame and cylinder should obviously accommodate about the hottest .32 H&R load possible since it's the same frame as the Single Seven. 327, right?

wdr2
01-13-2017, 10:04 PM
I have one of the first production Single 7's with 7.5in barrel. Zero issues and very accurate. My max OAL is 1.490in. This is not an issue with available jacketed bullets but some of the older cast designs are too long to use the crimp groove. Here's what I do: moderate loads use the Accurate Molds 31-105C, a 105gr. PB bullet that fits the cylinder perfectly using the crimp groove. Loads are 5.5gr. of Longshot for 1250fps or 3.0gr. of WST for 890fps. For full power loads, I use Miha's 115gr. GCHP and crimp at the 1.490in OAL ignoring the crimp groove. Load is 12.5gr. of 296 for 1470fps. All these loads shoot 5-shot groups of 1.0 - 1.25in at 25 yds. Note - since recoil is so light, a heavy crimp is not needed. Bottom line - these Single 7's are great!

WALLNUTT
01-13-2017, 10:25 PM
Trigger, that's my thought. If you're not going to hot rod it, what's the point.

Triggernosis
01-13-2017, 10:54 PM
OK, so I just found a NIB Stainless Single Six .32 H&R with 5.5" barrel (Davidson's Special) on GunBroker. I hit the "Buy it Now" button and will soon have it on the way.
And one thing I like from the pictures is that it has a fluted cylinder.
Total impulse buy that I hope I don't regret. :(

shooting on a shoestring
01-13-2017, 11:04 PM
To answer how hot can you go with a 32 H&R Single Six....
My 5.5 inch SS has pushed the RCBS 98 grain wadcutter to a little over 1400 fps. No problems. Not hard to get there.

I've never heard of anyone regretting a 32 H&R Single Six. Heard several bemoan not getting one.

Triggernosis
01-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Well, I've always wanted a single action gun, WITH ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS for crying out loud, and seeing that one in SS just sealed the deal.

Von Dingo
01-14-2017, 02:10 PM
OK, so I just found a NIB Stainless Single Six .32 H&R with 5.5" barrel (Davidson's Special) on GunBroker. I hit the "Buy it Now" button and will soon have it on the way.
And one thing I like from the pictures is that it has a fluted cylinder.
Total impulse buy that I hope I don't regret. :(

Those are nice, going by everyone else's measurements mirroring the ones on mine. Throats at .314, and barrel grooves about .313-.3135. Down side is they are rare, maybe a few hundred made (no real production numbers known at this time. (Chad?) Over on the Rugerforum.com, a S/N thread was started on these for the collectors.) No other stainless, adjustable sighted .32 H & R Mag SingleSixes were ever made beside these. You might want to scrounge up another set of sights, the SingleTen, fiber optic sights are less than praise worthy in my eyes, but an easy fix, two screws and a pin and the sights are changed for about thirty dollars.. My grips didn't fit like a fine custom either,... But enjoy, they are great little pistols, Have been thinking about an alloy grip frame, so the weight is in line with the blued guns, for the light weight the holster...

Fishman
01-15-2017, 07:29 PM
I have pushed my .32 mag with a 115 gr gc design from NOE over 10.0 gr of h110. There is load data with this load on the net. It is a nice shooting load that shoots to the same poa as my Rcbs 98 gr/bullseye loads in my ruger .32 mag birds head with a short barrel and fixed sights.

WALLNUTT
01-15-2017, 09:39 PM
If you don't like it, get a hold of me.

P Flados
01-15-2017, 10:00 PM
I bought the 4.2" SP101 last November even though I would have preferred a single seven (the standard product was an easy order for my local dealer, I would have had to purchase the "special" single seven and then arrange the transfer). My primary use will be high volume offhand shooting practice with target loads.

Now that I have a 327, I find that I am a little disappointed. I have some decent target loads, but I get bigger velocity swings from powder position than I like. I am working to find a better solution. However, it sure would be easier with a shorter chamber & cylinder. The 32 H&R length chamber allows shooting S&W Longs with a 90 grn bullet that will engage the throat before the bullet leaves the case. This allows loading target loads with a deep seated bullet and much better load density (less free space). Some 327 users are happy with Longs. I just do not like the fact that the distance from the end of the case to the start of the throat is more than the bearing surface of most bullets.

To the OP, I think you will like your 32 H&R. Unless your really need the smack of a 327, the 32 H&R just does all the target & plinking stuff better. A 32 H&R with book loads is plenty for any small game or "more than 22" plinking needs. A 32 H&R with "Ruger / TC" only loads can get pretty close to 327 levels, but I have gotten reluctant to load anything hotter than the book says (I do not like the looseammo in the wrong hands concern).

I just lament that H&R wanted such a low pressure. A 32 H&R case is all the 32 caliber needs, it just needs the 327 pressure to go along with it.

rintinglen
01-15-2017, 10:15 PM
To answer how hot can you go with a 32 H&R Single Six....
My 5.5 inch SS has pushed the RCBS 98 grain wadcutter to a little over 1400 fps. No problems. Not hard to get there.

I've never heard of anyone regretting a 32 H&R Single Six. Heard several bemoan not getting one.

I bought my single sevens because I couldn't get a 32 H&R SSM. My Brother has a 6.5 inch Bisley that would look real nice in a holster on my belt....just in case he's reading this and needs any ideas for next Christmas.

hendere
01-15-2017, 10:17 PM
If I end up going out and buying a 32 H&R, my Wife is gonna kill you guys.

rintinglen
01-15-2017, 10:20 PM
In that case my name is Barack Obama Nancy Pelosi Soros.

northernlead
02-10-2019, 08:23 PM
yes,but cylinder wont turn with loading gate open,anyone know what can be cause?

frkelly74
02-10-2019, 09:02 PM
I have always had a desire for the 30 Carbine blackhawk but never pulled the trigger.

Guesser
02-10-2019, 09:58 PM
If the cylinder center pin is not fully seated that will stall the cylinder, even with the gate open.

northernlead
02-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Thanks, i'll try that

megasupermagnum
02-11-2019, 09:19 PM
After being able to shoot a single six 32 H&R, and a single seven, I am underwhelmed by the single seven. The short cylinder is a killer. No bullet mold I have has a nose short enough to fit. Cartridge max OAL can be 1.490", and that's about it. Any longer and you better make dang sure you don't have bullet pull. 1.510" is about flush. Seated that deep, you are giving up so much potential you are just as well off shooting hot 32 H&R. This is well and good for compact power, but this gun isn't compact, it's not light, it's just a waste. The one I held is a pretty good match size wise to my GP100, and weighed one ounce less. If you want a single action 327 federal, buy a used Blackhawk. Hopefully Ruger brings the Blackhawk. All the single seven is doing is keeping manufacturers from loading good ammo, or making good bullets. Bullet casters are not effected, but the outright lack of good bullets for 327 is killing the cartridge.

NorthMoccasin
02-13-2019, 12:27 AM
Accurate molds makes several molds specifically for the single seven I have one that casts a 107 gr PB and another that casts a 118gr GC. They both work as intended and crimp in the crimp groove.. Velocities far in excess of reasonable 32 H&R loads are possible. I prefer midrange loads myself, 1000 to 1300 fps. Crimping Lymans 31108 and the RCBS 98 swc over the 1st driving band seems to work just as well, in spite of theoretical objections to the practice. The single seven is a fine accurate revolver, however, for most uses the 32 H&R will do whatever a 32 needs to do. That said, I like my single seven and it is not going anywhere.

Green Frog
02-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Ruger got it right with the Blackhawk 8-shooter in 327, but they couldn’t take yes for an answer and discontinued it in favor of smaller models to satisfy perceived market demand... but try to buy the Blackhawk now though! :o

A K-frame S&W also has a sufficiently long cylinder to chamber 327s with good long nosed bullets... but S&W hasn’t seen fit to build one. I had to build my own to prove the concept. :brokenima

We have to be dedicated and/or crazy to search out a suitable platform for the 327 FM, but keep looking! :coffeecom

Froggie

wdr2
02-13-2019, 12:20 PM
I suspect this mold will be just perfect for my Single 7:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?359537-ACTIVE-MP-Molds-327-Single-Seven-Mjolnir-Group-Buy

Mine is now on the way.

alamogunr
02-16-2019, 07:09 PM
I've been waiting for that mold too. I've had my Single Seven for several months. When I checked the throats they came in at .315. I ordered a mold from Accurate and got it in short order but life interfered and I haven't done anything other than shoot one box of factory ammo. That was somewhat satisfying but not like shooting cast.

My better half had some health problems and then the holidays put a stop to any projects. So, I've got a mold, waiting on another and have some of Smoke's powder and a NOE expander that I hope will allow me to load to the .315 throats. I do know that if nothing works, that the gun will go to a custom smith and get that cylinder replaced and maybe the barrel Taylor throated. Other than that I'm thru with Ruger after they, essentially, told me to pound sand, that the gun was within their manufacturing tolerances. I suspect they would have told me that even if there had been no throats. There are too many other gun manufacturers to go with one that does not pay attention to what they manufacture.

I've got 9 Ruger single actions including the Single Seven and three that have been converted. The Single Seven is the only one bought in the last 18 years. The ones bought back then had no issues with tolerances although I don't remember about the ones that had the cylinder rebored or replaced.

If I go the custom route, I'll see if the new cylinder can be longer, just in case. I appreciate the comments made here about the limitations of the stock Single Seven.

megasupermagnum
02-16-2019, 11:53 PM
I've been waiting for that mold too. I've had my Single Seven for several months. When I checked the throats they came in at .315. I ordered a mold from Accurate and got it in short order but life interfered and I haven't done anything other than shoot one box of factory ammo. That was somewhat satisfying but not like shooting cast.

My better half had some health problems and then the holidays put a stop to any projects. So, I've got a mold, waiting on another and have some of Smoke's powder and a NOE expander that I hope will allow me to load to the .315 throats. I do know that if nothing works, that the gun will go to a custom smith and get that cylinder replaced and maybe the barrel Taylor throated. Other than that I'm thru with Ruger after they, essentially, told me to pound sand, that the gun was within their manufacturing tolerances. I suspect they would have told me that even if there had been no throats. There are too many other gun manufacturers to go with one that does not pay attention to what they manufacture.

I've got 9 Ruger single actions including the Single Seven and three that have been converted. The Single Seven is the only one bought in the last 18 years. The ones bought back then had no issues with tolerances although I don't remember about the ones that had the cylinder rebored or replaced.

If I go the custom route, I'll see if the new cylinder can be longer, just in case. I appreciate the comments made here about the limitations of the stock Single Seven.

Why would you be so upset at .315" throats? All 4 of my 327 federal Rugers are .314" throats, and I shoot .314" bullets, which I consider ideal. .315" should be no big deal. I don't see how you can fault Ruger here. If .001" over is unreasonable, I wouldn't be buying $600 revolvers.

alamogunr
02-17-2019, 12:46 AM
Why would you be so upset at .315" throats? All 4 of my 327 federal Rugers are .314" throats, and I shoot .314" bullets, which I consider ideal. .315" should be no big deal. I don't see how you can fault Ruger here. If .001" over is unreasonable, I wouldn't be buying $600 revolvers.

I guess I got spoiled in the past with Ruger revolvers. I just remembered that 2 of those Bisley's had undersized throats and I sent them to a member here who used to ream throats. He discontinued that service several years ago and DougGuy picked up the slack. It sounds as if .314 is the normal rather than .312-.313 that were being quoted when the Single Seven first came out.

We will see what the Accurate mold will do when powder coated or the Mjolnir mold when it arrives. To be honest I don't really want to spend a lot of extra money on this revolver. To many other things have dibs on my money.

Thundarstick
02-17-2019, 06:54 AM
Wow, just wow!

I have 3 single sevens in 327 that all shot like a laser with the Mo bullet Co..314 cowboy bullet riding all the H110 that will fit under them. The Bisley is the cream of the crop as far as fit, finish, and function, one has a little tighter loading gate cut so you have to stop at just the rite place for loading and ejection, but they all shoot great. Out of the 2 SP101,2 GP100, 3 single sevens, and the big black hawk, they all shoot fantastic with no mods. My only 327 that needed the throats opened was the S&W 632, and I did it myself.

EMC45
02-17-2019, 09:24 PM
I size all my .32 bullets at .314 for all the wheelguns.

wdr2
02-18-2019, 11:51 AM
My 7.5in Single 7 is the most accurate Ruger handgun I own (I have about 10, all single actions). Lots of 25yd groups in the 1.25in range. I size to 0.313 and the throats are 0.314. Of the revolvers I have, only my S&W K22 and 629DX will out shoot my Single 7.

Green Frog
02-18-2019, 04:55 PM
I size all my .32 bullets at .314 for all the wheelguns.

My custom K-32 is tight chambered with .313" throats, so now I'm sizing all of my bullets accordingly. I may be losing a little bit with my other guns, but at least it's consistent. I still have a .314" die if I change my mind. ;)

Froggie

1/2 Yuman
03-01-2019, 12:10 PM
I have been following this thread because of my interest in a single seven. Not trying to steal the post, but what seems to be the preference 5.5 or 7.5 inch barrel? Most of my single actions are 5.5 or 6, but I am thinking about a 7.5.

RJM52
03-01-2019, 10:24 PM
5.5 or 7.5...that was my question also.... While I was trying to decide a Freedom Arms 97 came up for sale at an excellent price and it had a special order 6.5" barrel which is what I really wanted but Ruger didn't make.

A few months later a LNIB 7.5" S-7 came up for sale for $399.95 at a local shop. I almost bought it but passed as I already had the FA. My friend, who is big into .32s, bought it a few days later and it is a great shooter.

This is the Accurate 31-120S that runs 1400 fps from the 6.5" FA...

FA 97 with a Ruger OM .30 Carbine...

Bob

RJM52
03-01-2019, 10:30 PM
ps...I would go the longer barrel with the .327....

https://www.gunblast.com/Freedom-Harton327.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhbJc-uQ9K0

barnabus
03-02-2019, 07:23 AM

i agree ruger can be difficult to work with and their new stuff is garage.i looked at the single seven and was unimpressed so i bought a early model 32 HR mag and said forget it.

1/2 Yuman
03-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice on the 7 1/2 inch. Wow, a single seven for 399 at the LGS. You guys are lucky to have LGS's, everything here is internet.
Normally, we spend part of the winter in Yuma where I can at least handle models and drool. This year we stayed home and I spend most of my time blowing snow.

engineer401
03-02-2019, 07:47 PM
I saw one in the case and had to have it. I haven’t shot it yet but it looks as good as my single six from 30 years ago.