PDA

View Full Version : Martini cadet takedown version

andym79
01-11-2017, 05:34 AM
Hi guys, for a while I have been mulling over what to do with shot out martini cadet.

I find myself really struggling to narrow it down to 1 cartridge.

Has anyone had a Martin cadet done in takedown/switch barrel?

I assume that this would be done with interrupted threads, but how is the plate/barrel locked in place, with a pin?

A take down/switch barrel would allow me to have it in different calibers for different a

Thanks

Reverend Al
01-11-2017, 05:53 AM
I've had a few take down Martini .22's and they actually use a fully threaded barrel, not interrupted threads. The action is slotted (split) at the bottom of the receiver and there is a large slotted head screw that pulls the "split" action back together tightly gripping the barrel threads. There are witness marks on the barrel and action to line them up the same each time. I don't know how well this system would work with centerfire cartridges, but it might depend on how "stout" the cartridges were?

pietro
01-11-2017, 11:06 AM

I would definitely advise NOT converting a factory takedown Martini (they're usually small actions, like the Model 12, 12/15, etc) to ANY centerfire cartridge.

I would advise, however, selling it & buying a solid frame rifle if a CF is what you really want.

gnoahhh
01-11-2017, 11:44 AM
A takedown Cadet is an interesting idea to me too. Having multiple barrels is an age old desire among rifle loonies. Were I to do it, I would go at it a couple of ways. Either a system based on the old Savage Model 1899 takedown system (dispensing with the interrupted threads which I never felt were needed- Savage felt the same way and went to uninterrupted threads halfway along too), or a system requiring the use of a barrel vise and action wrench to bring the barrel in the last degree or two for perfect alignment. The vise/wrench system may seem like overkill, but in reality a barrel switch can be effected in a matter of minutes, so no big deal. A nifty closely fitted set of tools can be included in the case with the extra barrels, adding to the allure. (If fitted properly and used properly there would be little if any chance of marring any of the parts- we're only talking enough torque for a solid joint, not like the torque of an old milsurp barrel setup.)

Old-Win
01-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Here's a project that you can marvel at! Martini Takedown.
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=455034&page=1

Horsefly
01-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Small action Martini rifles have a varied and interesting history. While most were rimfire, there were some produced as centerfire. Lots of the No. 4 (Australian Cadets) were butchered when the were imported to the US thru ignorance when they were rechambered to 32-20 Winchester. This was because the .310 cartridge actually used a larger diameter bullet.

Some take downs were made but not in the Cadet model. There were about a dozen different small action models produced by BSA, but only one was the 'Cadet'. Several other companies also produced a small single shot action.

Here's a great source of information for anyone interested in the variations.

http://rifleman.org.uk/index-24.html

Horsefly
01-14-2017, 01:38 PM
I marvel at the vision and craftsmanship. That is an artist of high caliber.