PDA

View Full Version : .357 win 94 AE feed problems

fecmech
06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Recently my win94 AE has started to feed cartridges out of the magazine tube under the carrier locking the gun up. Everything is clean and lubed, any ideas whats going on here?? I'm wondering if the stop on the end of the link is bad, it does not appear worn.

fecmech
06-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Got the answer over on the Lever Gun Forum, disregard this post.

NickSS
06-26-2008, 01:16 AM
I had the same trouble. They installed a new stop at winchester when I first had the problem. I later had one occure also with the new stop. Both times it occured I was working the lever really fast and both time I broke the lifter off. When I bought me last lifter it was from the outfit that Browning transfered all the factory parts to when they closed the New Haven plant. Rather than have the problem again and paying $35 for the part I sold the rifle.

JRR
06-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Same problem here. After ordering a new cartrige stop link, it still failed to keep rounds in the mag tube. Since I then had two of those parts that didn't work, I used my torch and brazed the stop up useing work hardening nickel silver rod. I then carefully shaped the stop with small fine files to the original shape plus a few thous in heigth and length. Made some dummy rounds with no primer or powder and tested for function. Now the rounds would drag on the stop coming out of the magazine tube so I slowly worked it down with a jewlers file until I got perfect function. It's been working great for three range trips now and approx 500 shots.

There also is a small chromed sheet steel guide (?) attached to the lever that is only used on the 357s due to the narrower case. If it is bent at all it will also cause feeding issues. Order a few of them now while you can.

fecmech
06-26-2008, 07:53 PM
It appears that the Model 94 Winchester and the .357 cartridge are not a good fit. Maybe it's just Winchesters quality control, I don't know for sure but I noticed that the sear is very soft. I'm guessing the carrier is the same. I've ordered a new carrier and the sheet metal cartridge stop from Browning and plan on welding up the old carriers stop and fitting it with a harder welding rod. The cartridge stop is only in the .357's and when it breaks it prevents you from adding ammo when the gun has shells in the mag tube. If I get another lever gun it will either be a '92 clone or a Marlin.

JRR
06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
With all it's faults, my Win. 94 is a pleasure to shoot. It is more accurate than any 357 Marlin I have used. Very smooth and beautiful barrel interior with no constrictions. Sure it pissed me off when I discovered the problems. I just have to remember that it cost me $269.95 new at Big Five! A beautiful thing...

I wonder if reducing the strength of the mag tube spring would help in keeping a cartridge from over-riding the stop?

fecmech
06-28-2008, 12:45 PM
JRR--I have no complaints about the gun from an accuracy standpoint. In my load development so far using the Lee rnfp, 50 yd 10 shot groups run 1 1/4-1 3/4 at 1100 fps with Unique and 231. Using 358429 and the RNFP @ 1400 fps with Blue Dot I get the same size @ 50 yds for 10 and average just slightly over 2"@100 yds for 5 shot groups. The gun will shoot pretty well.

Poohgyrr
07-02-2008, 03:25 AM
My .44 & .45LC Winchesters are trouble free; they are sweet. Dittos for the 30-30 & .356 M94s.

My 16" .357 Winny M94 was finally replaced by two M92s.

As much as I like Wincesters, their .357 cartridge stop for the M94 must have been designed, tested, and QC'd after too much liqour or dope during lunch. My opinion. I am very disappointed. The new people need to fix this when they resume production.

JRR
07-02-2008, 03:06 PM
John,
What part of N. Calif are you in. I'm in Santa Rosa, about 55 miles north of SF.

I also have a 45 Colt, Win 94, 16". The large diameter of the case allows the link stop to work perfectly.

Several of the 94's parts were re-shaped for the narrower 357. The guides, attached to the receiver, the extractor which must reach in further and the adapter screwed onto the lever. Too bad the rifle wasn't designed for a rimmed, necked round like the 357 Bain and Davis.

Poohgyrr
07-02-2008, 05:02 PM
JRR,

Sacramento, for a few more years... ;)

The Trappers are my favorite length and I'm always surprised at how velocity is added to pistol rounds by using rifles.

Slowpoke
07-02-2008, 05:20 PM
I bought my 357 legacy in 1994-- 95, Zero problems to date.

good luck