PDA

View Full Version : What is the heaviest 45 cal DEWC you know of?

Whiterabbit
01-10-2017, 08:16 PM
.451 to .460, I don;t care the diameter, just 45 cal.

Heaviest possible, but must be a DEWC. Or frankly any design that is reversible, it could be a TC/BT for all I care, though that would be a weird design, no? I assume the only reversible bullet out there is a DEWC.

What's the heaviest you've seen? DEWC seems to be more of a 38 cal thing, not a 45 cal thing...

----------------

I'm really looking for something well over 300 grains. 370+. frankly, the 370-450 gr range is my dream.

I know I could have Accurate make me something, but I want to try one before I have a custom mold made. I assume anything I could find would be a steel 1-cav or similar.

waco
01-10-2017, 08:46 PM
I'm curious as to why it HAS to be a DEWC? Just asking![smilie=1:

paul h
01-10-2017, 08:50 PM
It would help to know what case you are using, 45 acp, 45 colt, other? You can make one as long as you want, but the question is how much room do you have in the case before you hit the case web.

jmort
01-10-2017, 09:03 PM
Look at the Accurate Mold catalog. Send Tom an email and discuss if necessary.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-320W-D.png

runfiverun
01-10-2017, 10:16 PM
knowing rabbit he is gonna dome some 45-70 bulls-eye shooting.

Whiterabbit
01-10-2017, 10:20 PM
I'm curious as to why it HAS to be a DEWC? Just asking![smilie=1:

I'm using the Ranchdog 460-425 now, and it's a great bullet. Pushing to 1430 fps. But it needs a gas check, and of course is uni-directional.

I'm now moving toward progressive reloading, and the biggest bottleneck to speed at this time is loading bullet tubes which require touching ever bullet. Every other operation is a batch process (dump brass into hopper, for example. No need to touch every piece of brass).

If I can qualify a DEWC, then I can load bullet tubes in bulk. Either with a funnel, or a grooved board that will self-align bullets in a row. Then I push groups of bullets by finger into the tubes. A single-ended bullet would have to be collated. DEWC, no problem.

It also helps that I would be ditching the gas check, also speeding up casting.

So the goal here is to find an inexpensive mold to use as a proof of concept, and if the bullet works, fine tune the design (or not) and farm it to Tom at Accurate to make me a mold with as many holes as I can get.

It would help to know what case you are using, 45 acp, 45 colt, other? You can make one as long as you want, but the question is how much room do you have in the case before you hit the case web.

Using the 460S&W case in a BFR. Bullet diameter .4525, +/- .0005. Current bullet will drop at .458-.460 depending on alloy used, and sizes to .452 just fine. Great bullet. Just time consuming to properly gas check, and time consuming to load in bullet tubes.

-----------------------

Frankly, if I could come up with a cheap way (cheap as in funnel, grooved board, etc) to collate single ended long bullets, I would forget about the DEWC design requirement and shift entirely to just ditching the gas check.

That gets me to the same place. But I don't want to mess with motors to do it. Like the LEE case collator vs the Dillon. Sure the Dillon is automatic, but LEE did it for 12 bucks and it is still batch processing, just in batches of 40, not 400.

But I have not been able to come up with a good way to do that. Ultimate goal here, technically, is to eliminate the need to touch every bullet as I load bullet tubes.

Hardcast416taylor
01-11-2017, 06:47 AM
Not a DEWC but I use a Saeco #453 that drops at about 230+/- gr. in my .45 LC.Robert

35remington
01-11-2017, 08:04 PM
If 50-60 yard range capability is sufficient by all means pursue the idea. Due to deep seating in a 45-70 case 400 grains is about as heavy as you can go with somewhat reduced velocity potential but the 50 yard targets won't care about that.

If in a smaller case you will have to seat out and the front end has to fit in the cylinder. But that would eliminate the double ended ability most likely so you gotta define near flush with case mouth seating I think.

Artful
11-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Hmm, couldn't you just buy the Lee block blank and drill/mill cylindrical cavity then powder coat - no gascheck lead either direction and if you did make it TC / BT it would be self aligning into the case.

USSR
11-02-2017, 08:30 PM
I've got a NOE mould that casts 250gr wadcutters.

Don

Hamish
11-04-2017, 01:20 PM

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=488_493&osCsid=2cjc149pvrsdo1a9jc23o1ufu4

Whiterabbit, why the desire for the heavyweight?

Whiterabbit
11-04-2017, 09:30 PM
May have to settle for light ones. Will probably try anyways for 45 colt.

I like heavy-for-cal because (for me), it's less sensitive to loading variability. Thus, I get better shooting consistency and ergo downrange results with less effort at the reloading bench (who trims, trickles, or chargemaster charges for bulk pistol?). The reason for the DEWC is for loading into tubes. with double-ended, the bullets do not need to be aligned. Makes for better productivity.

As for taking up case capacity, I have found with lots of driving band case tension is enough, even with stout charges of H110. So I don't mind loading with the bullet sticking out a bit if that is what gives me good internal ballistics.

Again, it's clear I'll have to start with a standard weight and probably have a custom mold made if there shows enough promise in the results. 250 would be great for that, 300 better, but sometimes a guy has to take what he can get.