PDA

View Full Version : Obsolete IMR No. 6 Powder - Questions

bjordan
01-10-2017, 06:25 PM
For Christmas, I gifted myself an original copy of the Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets. Fantastic, fun read for folks like us, by the way. One of the loads I am interested in is for the .41 Long Colt. They simply list "No. 6" as one of the 4 powders. From what I can tell, it was an IMR powder. Not sure if I am right. I know Hodgdon makes HS-6 powder, but I doubt they are the same. I also can't find No. 6 on any burn rate charts.

Does anyone know anything about No. 6 powder and what may be a similar product?

And, while asking about obsolete powders, the other powders, what is "5066" powder also listed as a .41 LC load?

Thanks in advance for the help.

35remington
01-10-2017, 08:07 PM
It was never an IMR powder as IMR did not exist as a designation prefix for that powder......it was DuPont Pistol #6. Phil Sharpe gives its introduction date as 1933 but not available to the handloader until 1935. He refers to it as "multi base" likely meaning nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin. It was a very popular powder and older fellows will mention using it early in their loading careers.

Phil said "it bulks up excellently and handles nicely through powder measures."

Hodgdon does not and never has made any smokeless powder, ever. They are simply the distributor middleman of a powder manufacturer's product. Much of their current line is made in other than the U.S. with the exception of the Olin/Primex/ Winchester branded ball powders. HS-6 is one of these. It is not the same as DuPont #6.

dbosman
01-10-2017, 08:11 PM
Both powders are referenced by Colonel Townsend Whelen in his book "Why Not Load Your Own".
Page 48 of the 1949 edition.

I got the following from http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=27237

"DuPont Pistol Powder #6. This powder generally requires smaller charges than #5 and burns cleaner. It's accuracy is well established.
DuPont P-5066. This powder is the newest in the DuPont line. Despite the excellence of Pistol #6, many handloaders preferred the older #5 and demanded it's return. DuPont responded with an improved version of #5 with this new designation. It cannot be loaded charge for charge with it's older version, and little is known about it other than it is a fine performer for standard velocity loadings."

Shiloh
01-10-2017, 08:28 PM
I acquired 2 pounds of 5066 and really wanted to try it. It smelled okay, but had the fine red dust indicative propellant going bad.

SHiloh

Bent Ramrod
01-10-2017, 09:16 PM
I shot a couple pounds of Pistol#5 and DuPont #5066 up in my .32-20 pistol. Still have half a pound of #5. Never saw any #6 around. A lot of leftover old powders used to show up at Gun Shows; they've kind of slowed to a trickle any more.

Both the numbers I tried were medium burning rate powders, slower than Bullseye and faster than Unique. They burn(ed) cleanly. Not for top loads.

sargenv
12-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Interestingly enough, I happened upon about 5-6 pounds of Dupont #6 recently. It all looks and smells just fine (no red dust evident). I have some of the older Speer manuals and will likely work up any loads using those fine old manuals.