PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold (TL356-124) for 9mm

Lakehouse2012
01-10-2017, 01:00 PM
I am a bit confused... I ordered the TL356-124-2R for 9mm Luger last night. But they also reference it to be used for 38 Super, 380 ACP? This is a new HK VP9 that I'll be shooting them through and I measured the bore exit last night at .3565 at the rifling. So technically this is the wrong mold for my gun, correct?
Second question- I probably shouldn't be running them through a sizing die, cause I'll only further reduce them, I'm thinking that I will be powder coating everything, so I think that will add a few 10th's back onto the size? Any thoughts appreciated, I've been lurking for months and you guys are awesome to each other, for the most part... :drinks:

runfiverun
01-10-2017, 01:29 PM
settle down a bit.
you need to know a few basic things about how this all works.
powder coating is just that a coating, you need to still follow the basic rules of fitment for it to works it's best.
your mold is probably going to cast close to 358, your going to add about .002 to that diameter.
I don't think 360+ is going to chamber.
so you will need to size.
or use the lee fcd to size everything for you, but you'll then be taking the risk of it sizing it all down too far.
which leads us back to my first point, and you'll end up chasing your tail around in circles until your frustrated.
everything we do depends on measurements in the .001 range.
.001 too small and you have leading trouble, .001 too large and you don't get them to chamber. [extreme examples]

you'll probably have good luck with a final diameter of 357, or more likely 358.
but you don't know what diameter your boolits come out of the mold yet.
so we need to start at step number-1 and work our way through each step to the end of the process.

454PB
01-10-2017, 01:31 PM
As with any mould design, there is a diameter range. Most of the Lee moulds I own cast a bit over advertised diameter, which allows the owner to size to the desired diameter. Diameter can also be tweaked by adjusting alloy recipe......more antimony content equals greater diameter.

If we were limited to an absolute diameter, it would be extremely hard to match a mould to a gun.

As to powder coating......yes, it will add to the diameter, I've generally found it adds .002", but it depends on the caliber.

Lakehouse2012
01-10-2017, 01:40 PM
duly noted R5R - I was planning on running through all the steps, I'm home sick today, bored and got thinking, thats most of the problem....

Once I receive mold from Midway, I'll get some good casts and start measuring. I may as well slug the barrel while I'm there, then I can determine if boolit sizing will be necessary...

Thanks for the feedback, I'm sure there will be more.

settle down a bit.
you need to know a few basic things about how this all works.
powder coating is just that a coating, you need to still follow the basic rules of fitment for it to works it's best.
your mold is probably going to cast close to 358, your going to add about .002 to that diameter.
I don't think 360+ is going to chamber.
so you will need to size.
or use the lee fcd to size everything for you, but you'll then be taking the risk of it sizing it all down too far.
which leads us back to my first point, and you'll end up chasing your tail around in circles until your frustrated.
everything we do depends on measurements in the .001 range.
.001 too small and you have leading trouble, .001 too large and you don't get them to chamber. [extreme examples]

you'll probably have good luck with a final diameter of 357, or more likely 358.
but you don't know what diameter your boolits come out of the mold yet.
so we need to start at step number-1 and work our way through each step to the end of the process.

sandman228
01-10-2017, 01:45 PM
your over thinking it just cast ,lube , load, shoot, enjoy, repeat . the mold your talking about was the very 1st mold I ever bought /used. I put thousands of them down range out of multiple 9mm handguns and carbines . just because the mold says it can be used in 38 super or 380 acp don't necessarily mean it should . ive since acquired other 9mm molds but still on occasion use this mold . as others said the bullet will probably drop larger than .356 . if your just starting out I wouldn't worry so much about powder coating right away I would suggest shooting the bullet unsized and tumble lubed .

rsrocket1
01-10-2017, 02:36 PM
I have both the 6 cavity 356-120-TC traditional lube groove mold and the TL356-124-R. Both molds drop at 0.358" and after powder coating are right about 0.360". I bought both a 0.356" Lee push through sizer (my M&P slugged at 0.3545") and a 0.358" sizer for my Ruger Service Six and it turns out, my Baretta 92FS which slugged at 0.356". It turns out that if I size everything to 0.358" and seat to where the cone meets the vertical for the TC bullet and the top of the TL ribs, the loaded cartridges will pass the plunk test in all my 9mm guns. The seat depth is a little deeper than typical so I've reduced the charges accordingly.

I doubt that you will have a "too small" problem with your molds if you PC the bullets. Just size them after you PC them to 0.358" and you'll be GTG.

11B-101ABN
01-10-2017, 02:38 PM
I have used that TL-356-124-2R in 9mm, 38 special, and 357 mag. I size with a .358 Lee push-through sizer and get good results. I don't load .38 super so no advice there, but I think that boolit would be heavy for a .380...again not sure. You have to play with sizing to get ammo your weapon will reliably eat. If your HK VP9 will reliably eat factory ammo but chokes on lead boolits it may need to have the chamber reamed. That Lee boolit mold was designed for 9mm so technically it is the correct one for your weapon. You will see a lot of posts advising a boolit at least one thousandth an sometimes two or even three thousandths larger than your slug measurement because most of the leading problems people report are caused by projectiles that are too small. Try the .358 sizer first. It is easier to size down rather than try to make fatter boolits, but powder coating will sometimes give a better fit too. I size ALL boolits before loading, no matter what lube is used (PC or Alox), it does not take long and gives uniformity. I also drop every loaded round into a Wilson case gage before putting in a box. Tell us what works for you, and ask for help on what does not work. Welcome to the addiction.

HeavyHev
01-10-2017, 02:47 PM
I disagree with everyone completely. That mold will be a complete disaster for you. Send it to me as mine has many miles on it and I could use a new one.

In all seriousness I recommend buying a different mold and sending the new one to me as well.

Give me your stuff.

Lakehouse2012
01-10-2017, 03:15 PM
Thanks rsocket1, I can tell you understood the perspective I was angling towards. It's good to know that others have thought about this and the evidence looks now like I will be ok.

I have both the 6 cavity 356-120-TC traditional lube groove mold and the TL356-124-R. Both molds drop at 0.358" and after powder coating are right about 0.360". I bought both a 0.356" Lee push through sizer (my M&P slugged at 0.3545") and a 0.358" sizer for my Ruger Service Six and it turns out, my Baretta 92FS which slugged at 0.356". It turns out that if I size everything to 0.358" and seat to where the cone meets the vertical for the TC bullet and the top of the TL ribs, the loaded cartridges will pass the plunk test in all my 9mm guns. The seat depth is a little deeper than typical so I've reduced the charges accordingly.

I doubt that you will have a "too small" problem with your molds if you PC the bullets. Just size them after you PC them to 0.358" and you'll be GTG.

Lakehouse2012
01-10-2017, 03:23 PM
HH- put your address on here for everyone and I'm SURE you will get lots of packages from us in the near future....

I disagree with everyone completely. That mold will be a complete disaster for you. Send it to me as mine has many miles on it and I could use a new one.

In all seriousness I recommend buying a different mold and sending the new one to me as well.

Give me your stuff.

Shiloh
01-10-2017, 08:50 PM
I'd be thrilled if that boolit dropped at .358.

Shiloh

runfiverun
01-10-2017, 10:25 PM
after seeing how this boolit normally performs [based on the number of posts it has started] the P/C is IMO a great idea.

gpidaho
01-10-2017, 10:54 PM
Lakehouse; You're going to get a lot of good use out of the TL356-124-2R, it's one very versatile little Boolit. I powder coat it and then size it to fit various guns in my accumulation. I use it in both 9mm pistols and carbines, 38spl and 357mag and even shoot plinking rounds using this one out of my 35 Remington Handi rifle (thanks for that one Larry Gibson) Good choice and Welcome along with the rest of us. Gp

Lakehouse2012
01-10-2017, 11:16 PM
Thank you Sir! I'm actually an old(er) school reloader, used to only be into BB revolver, but "bit-the-boolit" and picked up this VP9 and now I can't wait to start dropping boolits by the 1000's. The idea of producing rounds for $0.08 each is wild.

Lakehouse; You're going to get a lot of good use out of the TL356-124-2R, it's one very versatile little Boolit. I powder coat it and then size it to fit various guns in my accumulation. I use it in both 9mm pistols and carbines, 38spl and 357mag and even shoot plinking rounds using this one out of my 35 Remington Handi rifle (thanks for that one Larry Gibson) Good choice and Welcome along with the rest of us. Gp

Lakehouse2012
01-30-2017, 02:14 PM
Ok- I'm needing more consultation... NOTE: this is in my new HK VP9 - Past Sunday I went out and shot 1) my step loads and 2) 50 boolits I made as a "production trial run". The Step loads worked good, I started at lowest charge per load data and small cast only boolit (356 sized). That shot fair but didnt eject all rounds (assume too low pressure) then stepped up to 2/10's more powder and 356 sized boolit with Powder Coat. I can see there is a slight bulge in the case outside the seated boolit, and outer case is measuring 380ish. Most every shot I couldn't get it into battery position. Does anyone think that 380 diameter would really be causing the problem, or might this be because I didnt crimp enough? I do notice there is an edge on these at the case mouth, but it doesnt appear to be much and when it gets hung up to battery, it's only 3/16" from position, so doesn't look like the spot to be hung up from lack of crimp. Any thoughts, please go ahead beat me up now... :)

454PB
01-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Since the only difference was the powder coating, one possibility is that the coated boolit is slightly longer. Did you try seating them a few thousandths deeper?

Lakehouse2012
01-30-2017, 02:59 PM
454PB - You rock, I was making up loads for my 44mag that night also, and forgot to check COL when I went to run the 9mm batch... Luckily I got tired of smacking the rear to get into battery and still have some unfired rounds. I measured just now and COL is 1.125" mine are coming in at 1.130 to 1.140". I will re-seat and at same time turn up the crimp and see if that solves. I just didnt think the case bulge should cause. Thanks for the reply!