PDA

View Full Version : Historic First!

Bent Ramrod
01-10-2017, 10:30 AM
I managed to do the impossible last weekend at our BPCR Silhouette Match, by "ringing" a Turkey. The load was R-P .45-70 cases, Federal GMM Large Pistol primers with punched card over-primer wad, 66 gr of Olde Eynsford 1-1/2 Fg, a cardboard wad, compression Q.S., and the Paul Jones Creedmoor GG boolit, 20:1.

I'd heard of ringing Rams with minor calibers before, but the Ram is a heavy target with two bases, and far away. Turkeys are lighter, closer, and have a smaller, single footprint. The bird pirouetted around on its base, came to rest facing me, and stuck its little iron tongue out.

No hope for it--I may just have to get a bigger caliber. I'll be ringing Chickens next if I continue to use these marginal cartridge pop-guns.

Anyone have any hard-hittin', brush-bustin', wind-buckin', tack-drivin' loads for a .50-140-700? :mrgreen:

(I did knock down all ten Rams with the same .45-70 load, for my first-ever Ram pin, so maybe there is hope yet.)

.22-10-45
01-10-2017, 03:47 PM
My first time out at a handgun silhouette match..all I had was a 6" K38 with cast 150gr. semi-wadcutters. Managed to hit turkey...and turn it 180* edge-on facing me!...Didn't matter..I was hooked!

kokomokid
01-10-2017, 06:32 PM
I think the 50 would need 3f powder to start with.
I have spun a chicken when I just cliped its neck. The 50 might have got more meat.

Chill Wills
01-10-2017, 08:29 PM
I would guess you hit it with half a bullet?

I have seen a pretty good looking splat put on the edge of bird with just driving bands.

Always good for a groan and a few hoots in the peanut gallery.