PDA

View Full Version : Powder measure expander die coupling.

abqcaster
01-09-2017, 05:20 PM
I got a mini lathe for Christmas. It has in those couple of weeks become indispensable to reloading for me. I've since made custom punches for my boolit sizer dies, custom boolit seaters (that don't deform the point) and a really nifty adapter for my Lee perfect powder measure to mate to my expander dies.
Here it is installed
It frees up a lot of space on my bench that is no longer dedicated to the powder measure and its stand, and it saves me a little time combining case-mouth expansion and powder dispensing into one step. I do have the automatic dispenser too but it doesn't measure my flake powders very well. I was going to get the Lee automatic drum measure, but for the price I didn't think it would save me much more time than this set up does. in any case it's an idea I thought was worth sharing.
-ABQ

Carrier
01-09-2017, 07:09 PM
If you don't mind what kind and how much was that lathe?

RP
01-09-2017, 07:31 PM
I have noticed on my powder drops they change when mounted on the press after a few rounds. From what I have found is the working of the press settles the powder increasing the charge by a few grains. So I set the charge and run the press as I would in normal use then check a few cases and adjust from there. Just something to watch out for you may not have any problem. Nice work on the lathe btw I really want one too but its going to have to wait.

abqcaster
01-09-2017, 09:25 PM
If you don't mind what kind and how much was that lathe?
Harbor freight 7X10", about $430 with a 25% off coupon. Keep an eye out for the coupons online.

abqcaster
01-09-2017, 09:27 PM
I have noticed on my powder drops they change when mounted on the press after a few rounds. From what I have found is the working of the press settles the powder increasing the charge by a few grains. So I set the charge and run the press as I would in normal use then check a few cases and adjust from there. Just something to watch out for you may not have any problem. Nice work on the lathe btw I really want one too but its going to have to wait.
Thanks! That's my experience too. I let it "settle" after about 5 charges and it's good.

Carrier
01-10-2017, 08:28 AM

Thank you.

OS OK
01-10-2017, 08:46 AM

I run my powder throws on a turret so you know they get plenty of vibration and settle quickly but...if you tap the side of the hopper with a rubber handled screwdriver at least a dozen times it will pre-settle the hopper before you start. You can dial in the charge weight and save time in the long run.
It is just as important to tap the charge handle twice lightly when taking a charge, it will settle the charge in the metering hole of the drum. Tapping it twice lightly on delivery of the charge will insure that there is no bridging.
This will enable you to extract the best performance from all the manufacturers powder throws (the drum style) even using bulky flake powers.

abqcaster
02-19-2017, 06:51 PM
The latest turning project. It's a more ergonomic knob for my brass tumbler. Much better than the dinky wingnut it came with.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170219/1bb93939c3c86c6ffdea5d06a7a73fb4.jpg

blikseme300
02-20-2017, 03:42 PM
ABQ,

Mini-lathe and a mini-mill is part of my reloading tool set also. Being able to make or modify casting and reloading tools expands my enjoyment of the hobby. Keep up the good work.

abqcaster
02-21-2017, 01:30 AM
Thanks, blikseme300!