PDA

View Full Version : What was factory finish on TC stocks?

roots911
01-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know what type of finish the factory put on the wood stocks? Thanks!

bubba.50
01-09-2017, 05:11 PM
very early guns had a tru-oil type finish, later guns had a slightly heavier kind of cloudy spray-on finish, towards the end they had a cheap Savage type finish prone to flakin' & chippin'.

Maven
01-09-2017, 07:29 PM
What bubba.50 said! To wit, I dinged my T/C Hawken stock and later tried to steam the dent out. To my surprise, the steam lifted/removed the finish in that area very quickly. I later refinished the stock with boiled linseed oil (took at least 4 months) and later yet sold the entire rifle.

roots911
01-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Thanks Bubba. I just finished a kit stock with Tru Oil and it came out great. Now my buddy wants me to redo one of his stocks and I was wondering how hard it was going to be to get the old finish off. Now I know. Thanks again. Frank

tomme boy
01-11-2017, 12:38 AM
I have had 2 new NewEnglanders. Both had a oil finish. One of the stocks cracked and was replaced. The new one came back with a oil finish as well. So not all are a tru-oil type finish. My uncles Renegade also had the oil finish.