PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 a "Flash in the Pan"??

TCLouis
11-03-2005, 10:55 PM
I don't know. I'm asking!

Went to their website and could NOT find any information.

I wonder if if the denderfusses in most corporations realize a clean, neat, easy to navigate web site with product information may well lead to more sales more than some other dunderfuss in NY ad agencies campaigns.

Especially when NEITHER dunderfuss knows what the company makes or how it is properly used.

Just watch some of the ads in print and on television and see if the person producing or approving/paying for the ad have a clue.

Stepping down from soapbox to get back to the question at hand . . .

Where can I find out about this rifle and does it look like something that will be around five years from now!

David R
11-03-2005, 11:38 PM
I might be able to help, I bought one. GO to wally world and ask for the gun catalog behind the counter. On page 45? you will see the stevens model 200. Its nothing more than an old stock 110 with out the accu trigger. I had one before, and it was OK. My dad has an old 110 in 270. It shoots J boolits awesome. I think that savage is selling these from old stock, that is why the are now a "stevens".

Look in the factory guns section for a long thread on this here gun.

David

StarMetal
11-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Heres the short action webpage: http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm

Here's the long action webpage:
http://www.savagearms.com/st_200long.htm

Joe

TCLouis
11-04-2005, 11:09 PM
I thought I had searched that site fairly well and never found the 200 listed. Just AFTER posting, I went back to the site and there it was, right in front of me.

Oh well it is attractively priced is it not!

Good way to use up old parts also . . . if that is what they are doing.

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 12:29 AM
TCLouis

Well I see how rumors get started. David r says it's nothing but the old 110 Savage left overs.

David, do you know that for sure? Did someone at Savage tell you that for a fact? I doubt it. Savage sure as hell isn't going to make the Stevens the flagship of their company especially when the company name is Savage.

TCLouis...they are new rifles and they are not inferior...just that don't have all the whistle and bells, but they had good intentions with their pillar bedding and such. I won't doubt that if they catch on even more they will get the new trigger.

Joe

David R
11-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Star,

Its identical to my old Savage 110 and my dads cept the stock.

David

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 12:02 PM
David

Yes I realize that, but that doesn't mean they are old stock. That means they either have the old machinery yet or the program for the new computer controlled machines. Probably too the old style action is easier/cheaper to make, after all this is an economy line of rifle, which has nothing to do with their shooting just fine. I'm sure if Savage had old 110 actions left over that someone like Gun Parts Inc. would have bought them up or they'd show up for sale somewhere.

Joe

Jumptrap
11-05-2005, 12:22 PM
What is a 110 leftover? They're still making them!

This 200 isn't anything but a 110 in work clothes. As cheap as a Savage 110 is to begin with, I'm surprised they even offer a stripped version.....how far can you strip something? From where I am standing the only difference I see in the Stevens marked guns is that new trigger mechanism they put in the Savage marekd rifles.

I always liked the old Stevens guns.....some old line brands don't deserve to fade away because they get bought out. Just like H&R...hell, half the boys I knew growing up had Topper shotguns....they went through bankruptcy a few years back and came out with that stupid NEF moniker.

Scrounger
11-05-2005, 01:38 PM
David

Yes I realize that, but that doesn't mean they are old stock. That means they either have the old machinery yet or the program for the new computer controlled machines. Probably too the old style action is easier/cheaper to make, after all this is an economy line of rifle, which has nothing to do with their shooting just fine. I'm sure if Savage had old 110 actions left over that someone like Gun Parts Inc. would have bought them up or they'd show up for sale somewhere.

Joe

It's marketing, guys. You sell all you can at $400, then you make some cosmetic changes and sell some more at $300. Everybody just takes a little less profit. Then maybe you license it to some chains like Western Auto or Sears and put their name on it and sell some more at $250, with a very small profit. This is pretty standard operating procedure.

Oldfeller
11-05-2005, 01:52 PM
These are current production rifles made with older tooling that make an action that does NOT/CANNOT mount the new accutrigger arrangement. The stock mold is an old standard Savage rifle mold (well worn) shot with natural color non-dyed styrene (gray) to save money.

They are using old molds and old tooling (by definition the new stuff is the accutrigger stuff).

New low end price point has been set by Mossberg with the AT-100 rifle -- and Savage isn't going to give up any market share to Mossberg. So, they pull out an old brand name that died years ago (Stevens) and dust off the old pre-accutrigger action line -- obviously they are going after Mossberg again.

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 01:56 PM
....and there we have it from noneless a savage himself...Oldfeller. I call Oldfeller a savage because have you noticed how he scapled all the pointy tops off all the bullets he designs? Could Oldfeller be.....the Last of The Casthicans?

Joe

Oldfeller
11-05-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm a working on scalping "guessing Joe"s right now ... it is a form of indoor hunting, I guess and is as on-topic as sheep dipping anyway.

BTW you up to driving up to visit Jumptrap sometime soon? He's done invited us again ..... this time he's got takers.

Oldfeller

StarMetal
11-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Yeah, doesn't seem like a bad ideal to go see old Jump.

Joe