PDA

View Full Version : Do you have load changes with winter loads

TCLouis
01-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Put this here because the load in question is in a military caliber.

Shot fine the last two summers, got ready to test fire a few before going hunting and the load was "all over the place".

50:50 lube

Scharfschuetze
01-09-2017, 01:27 AM
Calibre, powder, primer, rifle, etc?

Off hand, no I don't bother, particularly with cast bullet loads. At one time I did use a magnum primer for slow-burning-powder-jacketed-bullet loads for late season deer and elk in Colorado and Wyoming in a 7mm magnum rifle. Temps were pretty darn cold in the morning at high altitudes in December.

Many of the newer powders (starting with Varget in the 80s) are formulated to minimize temperature issues.

upnorthwis
01-09-2017, 11:35 AM
My centerfire rifle loads are all "summer" loads since I only shoot competition in the summer. But my shotgun loads are an entirely different matter. Due to a shoulder injury years ago, I make them as light as possible for the 12 gage Beretta A400. Summer load can get away with a MEC #28 bushing of Hodgdon Clays. Winter load needs the #32 bushing to make it cycle.

Teddy (punchie)
01-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Temperature can change pressure. Barrels get hotter.

Adam Helmer
01-09-2017, 11:55 AM
TCLouis,

Yes, I had a Winter load for J-word rifle match loads that was about a half, or a full grain more in Winter, as I recall. Did you test fire your loads in all seasons? I am on my 14th notebook and fire loads in all seasons and, yes, there is a difference. With J-word projectiles, the differences were more profound.

Adam

gnoahhh
01-09-2017, 12:13 PM
I used to worry about such things. Then I found that it is just as much fun sitting by the fire with a glass of whiskey and a good book. I'll wait to go shooting again when the thermometer gets above 50º! :)

izzyjoe
01-09-2017, 09:36 PM
I used to worry about such things. Then I found that it is just as much fun sitting by the fire with a glass of whiskey and a good book. I'll wait to go shooting again when the thermometer gets above 50º! :)
Me two!

TCLouis
01-11-2017, 04:38 AM
Adam Helmer
No I had not done any winter testing with this load.
As I have owned up to already, I have gotten really slack about documentation and so the best load that was winter tested is has been shot up and again trusting to memory I do not even remember the powder.
With retirement I hope to go back to documenting information including Chrono data.