PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a Honda

shaper
01-07-2017, 08:26 PM
A friend has a body shop. He occasionally buys a wrecked vehicle, and repairs it before selling it. I totally trust this man and and his work. He is also a deacon in our church.
He has a 2007 Honda CRV. It has minimal damage on the right front that he said he could complete the work in half a days time. The selling price is $2600. the price is good but I haven't owned a Honda of any kind, so I am asking those of you who have owned one, especially the CRV, for their advice. Any knowledge of mechanical problems would be appreciated.
thanks
shaper

historicfirearms
01-07-2017, 08:33 PM
I own a 2011 crv and have just over 100,000 miles on it. Its been the most reliable car that ive owned so far. The only I have done are changed the fluids, a new set of tires, and brake pars. My wife own a Honda Odyssey mini van and its been great too. Thats a good prive for tht car, I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

shaper
01-07-2017, 08:37 PM
I forgot to mention, he replaced the motor. The new motor has 70000 miles on it.

crowbuster
01-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Wife had one for a spell. Ok ride. Didnt fit her well as she is 6ft tall. She traded it of for a ridgeline to get more room. Never had a prob with the crv.

Taylor
01-07-2017, 09:13 PM
We have a 2006 crv,best car we have ever owned..period.

rancher1913
01-07-2017, 09:23 PM
honda's hold their value pretty well that should tell you something.

osteodoc08
01-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Why was the motor replaced? Any warranty? What happened to old motor? How many miles on chassis?

Personally, I'd be hesitant. Sometimes when issues creep up on a vehicle like that, it can put a strain on a relationship. Not that either side intended it to happen, but it just does (hidden problems on unknown vehicle with sketchy history)

Ickisrulz
01-07-2017, 09:29 PM
We have a 2014 Odyssey with 90K on it. So far so good; no issues at all. The mechanics say the engine is good for 300K.

B. Lumpkin
01-07-2017, 09:30 PM
My wife had a Honda CRV through high school, and for the first 4 years of our marriage. We sold it when it hit 250,000 miles. All we ever did was required maintenance at specified mileage intervals. Never had a single problem with the vehicle.

MrWolf
01-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Bought a 2009 Honda CRV new for daughter. Nasty snow storm that year when taking it for remote start. Excellent driving in snow. She really likes it.

macomber
01-07-2017, 09:33 PM
As far as Honda's value and durability, we put over 320,000 miles on an Accord and it was still running fine until it met up with a moose. Looks like a good deal to me.

NSB
01-07-2017, 09:39 PM
I worked as a quality manager for both Ford and GM and had almost forty years with them before retiring. Here's what I can tell you. I can buy any Ford product or GM product at dealer cost. I've been driving Honda vehicles since I retired. My last first was a Honda Element....same engine and platform as the CRV. I put 143,000 miles on it without putting a penny into it other than three sets of tires, one set of brakes, and oil changes. I just got tired of it for no particular reason. A mechanic at the Honda dealer bought it and is still driving it with almost 250,000 miles on it. I then had a CRV and now a Pilot. All trouble free. In owning almost fifty GM and Ford vehicles (I got two a year most years) I never had even one that ran without some warranty issues. Honda makes the best quality vehicles period. Second is Toyota followed by Subaru. At 2600 it's a great buy. Get it.

Tenbender
01-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Ever hear of the USA ? I hear they make great vehicles ?
This will bring the ricer bunch out of the woodwork .:oops:

Hamish
01-07-2017, 09:58 PM
"Honda makes the best quality vehicles period. Second is Toyota followed by Subaru. At 2600 it's a great buy. Get it."

Fact.

Houndog
01-07-2017, 10:12 PM

You might want to rethink that! I own two Hondas and they were both built in Marysville Ohio. The last time I looked Ohio IS part of the USA!

wv109323
01-07-2017, 10:26 PM
I own a 2012 CRV. Just 40,000 on it. No problems whatsoever. We did replace the tires. I know two couples that have models around the 2007 year model. One couple bought a 2012 and kept the 2007.

NSB
01-07-2017, 11:02 PM
All my Honda vehicles were made in the USA. My last GM vehicle, a "Chevy" was assembled in Canada with a Japanese engine and a Chinese transmission. During the time I worked for GM, thirty-three years, I saw over three hundred thousand US jobs move to Mexico. You really should know what you're talking about ......

shaper
01-07-2017, 11:10 PM
I told my friend I would take his deal. Can't get it yet though. I have 3 trucks. I need to sell one to buy the Honda. It is a 89 Chev. Cheyenne 4x4 with a bad heater core, which I am in the process of replacing. Just waiting for the weather to get better.

MaryB
01-07-2017, 11:40 PM
At 70k miles if it uses a timing belt I would swap it. Otherwise Honda engines are known for very long life. My garden tiller and generator are Honda powered and other than cleaning bad gas out of the generator(it had sand in it...I checked that gas can and it had sand. I went to the gas station and pumped into a gallon can and checked and more sand which I showed them) they run with minimal maintenance, just oil changes.

johnson1942
01-08-2017, 12:34 AM
all we own is toyota or honda, 70,000 miles on a honda engine is nothing. untill other cars are made as good as those two, that is all we will own.

Plate plinker
01-08-2017, 12:47 AM
CRV is a solid economical car. I would do it.

Fishman
01-08-2017, 01:24 AM
The Honda 2.4 l doesn't have a timing belt, at least the one in our 2008 accord didn't. Great car, but met an untimely end a month ago when an inattentive dominoes driver totaled it with my wife inside. 185,000 miles and nothing but gas, oil, brakes, a battery, trans oil and filter, and tires. Never any issue. We planned to drive it until at least 300k. Bummer, but the wife is ok(still sore) and that is the most important thing.

Alstep
01-08-2017, 03:07 AM
Daughter has a 2002 CRV, air conditioner compressor went sour, otherwise a great vehicle. Wife had a 2006 CRV, compressor went on that too. Otherwise, 160,000 trouble free miles. Nephew has it now. Both Hondas get 28 mpg, great in snow here in upstate NY. Salt & rust are hard on any vehicle around here. Neither had a timing belt.

XDROB
01-08-2017, 06:03 AM
CR-V , one of Hondas best . Find out why engine was replaced. Most likley lack of maintenance. Problem with that is if the engine was replaced because of that, how as the rest the car maintained. If you can get some kind of warranty on it then buy it and drive the daylights out of it.
OR just keep looking for one that has low miles AND a maintenance record.
Once you find a good one you will NOT be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jonp
01-08-2017, 07:32 AM
I have a 97 Honda CRV and it just hit 160k. Aside from a few oil leaks around the engine it's pretty much bullet proof and I have become a big fan of them. The first generation of CRV's are very easy to work on. I replaced the tie rods and ball joints plus the struts in the driveway with no problem. Ball joints were shot but nothing wrong with the struts or tie rods, I just figured I would do the whole thing while I was there and got the parts off ebay. I would have no problem in buying it and the first thing I'd do is change the timing belt and all the fluids including the rear end. CRV's are one of the most popular AWD's on the road for a good reason.

My 2004 F150 FX4, not so much a fan. After $2000 into replacing a bent rod, yesterday it blew the power steering pump on the way to the store and I also found out I need a new rear end in it.

jonp
01-08-2017, 07:39 AM
The Honda 2.4 l doesn't have a timing belt, at least the one in our 2008 accord didn't. Great car, but met an untimely end a month ago when an inattentive dominoes driver totaled it with my wife inside. 185,000 miles and nothing but gas, oil, brakes, a battery, trans oil and filter, and tires. Never any issue. We planned to drive it until at least 300k. Bummer, but the wife is ok(still sore) and that is the most important thing.

2002 CRV's are second generation ( Gen 1 1997-2001) and have a timing chain I believe. You only change it when it stretches and that is indicated by a check engine light. The First Gen have a belt. When you get to the mileage where you should change the belt, if you have one, change the water pump at the same time, they are $60 and held on by 5 bolts. You will have the cover off anyways to change the belt.

kbstenberg
01-08-2017, 08:20 AM
Just my 2 cents. I have an 06 civic hybread. Bought new. It has 178K miles. Not 1 major repair other than normal maintenance since new. Starts everytime in extreme cold - 20/30 after sitting outside at work. We will be getting another Honda this summer, but moving up to a pilot. Wife and I are getting perty stiff to be getting in and out of those low cars, and we want more comfort.

richhodg66
01-08-2017, 10:16 AM

And they make half of them in Mexico and China and most of them do it on stolen tax payer's dollars and still have customers gullible enough to believe they are "buying American". Takes some seriously talented management to pull that off.

We have a CRV, wife likes it a lot. Everything I've ever seen and heard says 70,000 miles is barely broken in on a Honda or Toyota. The advice about straining a relationship could be true though, any vehicle can have a problem, but for $2600, I don't see how you could go wrong.

SGTM9
01-08-2017, 10:30 AM
All of my family drive hondas. We have had 4 accords 4 crvs 3 oddessys and 1 element. My wife drives the lowest mileage one with 125k. Every thing else has well over 200k. The most trouble free cars we have ever owned. Btw of those cars we still own all but 2 both got totaled. Only reason I don't drive 1 myself is theydo not have a real full sized truck.

Detroitdanm
01-08-2017, 03:18 PM
I'm on my third Honda, two CRV's, a 2007 base model that I put 55,000 on, a 2010 loaded that I put 100,000 on, and now a 2013 Pilot base model with about 48,000 on it. 200,000 + miles on them combined and the only problem I had is a stuck relay on the 2010 that left the AC compressor energized and drained the battery. Besides that, brakes, tires and oil & filter changes were it other than having Honda change the diff oil for the AWD at 50K per recommendation. If the CRV you're looking at has AWD the diff oil needs changed every 50K, other than that, no timing belt and they just keep running. IME you can't find a more durable and long lasting vehicle other than perhaps Toyota. For the price quoted I'd be all over the CRV you're considering.