PDA

View Full Version : Missouri 2016 deer season is over

smoked turkey
01-07-2017, 02:33 AM
This past deer season turned out to be good one as I was able to shoot two nice whitetail. This year started off slower than usual as it was the fourth day before I shot the doe which weighed 125 pounds. I used the 257 Roberts with J words bullets as I had previously shot up my cast and didn't realize it until too late to handload any lead boolits for it. I will say that it is not as rewarding shooting the J variety bullets compared to my own cast boolits. However, the Nosler 100 gr. ballistic tip over 40 gr. of H4350 EXT did an excellent job of putting the doe on the ground. I call my buck a last day, first light deer as I finished out our season using my 50 caliber Knight Disc using 90 gr of Pyrodex under a full bore(no sabot) lead 370 grain Maxi-Hunter. I shot this buck at 7:12 am, and while it was within legal time it was just breaking daylight. The buck was a spike and will be excellent table fare. It as been hanging five days and is still hanging in the barn and it is frozen solid since our temperatures have been very cold for the past four days. It is now zero degrees and it will be next week before the deer thaws out so I can begin to cut it up. All in all I had a great hunting season.

shoot-n-lead
01-07-2017, 02:53 AM
Congrats...on a fine season.

We had a fine season as well, my son killed a buck and a doe and I killed a buck. Our season ends Sunday...it is trying to snow here now, which is very unusual for south Ga, I doubt that it will amount to anything...but I think that I will get out for the last time of the season, tomorrow.

dh2
01-07-2017, 02:58 AM
St. Clair county MO is home to me I really missed making it home for deer season this year

mcdaniel.mac
01-07-2017, 04:49 AM
Nice take there, I got nothing this year but a nosebleed! Stalked a bit, but probably didn't do enough preseason prep, I managed to be where the deer weren't. Good nature walk, although a rifle was less useful than a stout staff would have been!

Next season I should have a little more time on my hands, and with any luck a bunch of meat to give away once my freezer fills up.

CastingFool
01-07-2017, 09:06 AM
Congrats, ST! those will make some fine eating.

nekshot
01-07-2017, 12:56 PM
congrats! Good meat for sure. You are tougher than me, I simply could not get going in mzl season. My son got a nice fat buck so we won't starve.

WebMonkey
01-07-2017, 01:55 PM
Sweet!

sharps4590
01-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Congrats & well done smoke! I couldn't get enthused this year. I don't think I hunted 4 hours the regular season and never got the Jaeger out of the safe. Too dry for my liking as I prefer to still hunt. Getting to where sitting in a tree or blind drives me out of my skull.

tdoyka
01-07-2017, 11:17 PM
way to go!!!