PDA

View Full Version : Frosty vrs shinny ingots

Dadswickedammo
01-07-2017, 12:58 AM
Yep new to this.
Have been collecting equipment, lead and reading and asking all the dumb questions.
And got another.....
So cast about 100 ingots from different types of scrap lead. The lead sheeting and x ray lead super shinny the reclaimed bullets and other scrap is frosty.
Is that a heat problem or other alloys?

RogerDat
01-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Mold temp and melt temp an impact how much shine or gloss the ingot has. Hot mold and melt yields frosty, in ingots and in cast boolits. Hotter the melt typically the hotter the mold after a few casts, applies to ingot molds same as bullet mold. Cast fast and you typically cast toward frosty.

I forgot to say not a problem either way. Ingot 'look" isn't going to make any difference once you re-melt it to make bullets. To much heat can tend to cook out the tin and antimony more, that gray haze skin on the top of the pot that you may have been having to skim off can be rich in alloys you don't want to throw out.

Throw a bead worth of wax in and see if it doesn't go back in. But other than that don't worry about frosty or shiny ingots. Just watch out for the ones covered with white dust. Lead oxide which is toxic to breath in. White oxide dust is made safe if you melt it back in you just don't want to be spreading it around on your skin or breathing it.

Bama
01-07-2017, 01:17 AM
Also remember that the composition of the alloy also determines the exact melting point of the alloy. What is hot for one alloy may be on the cold side for another.

RogerDat
01-07-2017, 01:21 AM
Also remember that the composition of the alloy also determines the exact melting point of the alloy. What is hot for one alloy may be on the cold side for another. good point. plain lead sheeting has a lot hotter melt or good casting temp than linotype or even wheel weights.

Dadswickedammo
01-07-2017, 01:39 AM
Their is so much more I went to learn. Been on this road prepping for a while.
Just want to safely make a quality boolit.
Thank you for all the info and please keep it coming.

flyingrhino
01-12-2017, 11:11 AM
I like a frosty bullet. I powder coat and also have started using Hi-Tek and feel that the frosty surface might be better for bonding the coating. No scientific proof but it makes me feel good.

HeavyHev
01-12-2017, 11:52 AM
No scientific proof but it makes me feel good.
Epic words to live by.

gwpercle
01-12-2017, 02:42 PM
If your melt gets a little hot and you get "frosty" boolits , no harm , they shoot just fine. I like to keep mine just at the frosty look , they cast better for me on the warm side.
I've been at this since 1967 and still learning, keep on casting and asking , you'll do fine.
Gary

TexasGrunt
01-12-2017, 04:55 PM
I've been casting pure lead or a 98/2 alloy and with my Lee six banger I can't make a frosty boolit no matter how I try. I thought you needed some antimony in the mix to get them frosty?

Tenbender
01-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Pure lead will be shinny with a little blue tint. All other lead if hot enough will look frosted.

William Yanda
01-12-2017, 08:01 PM
I believe that white dust, lead oxide, is water soluble also, which is bad news if it is on your sweaty skin.
Danger! Will Robinson, Danger! Danger!

GlockGuy
01-13-2017, 11:20 PM
Good info guys -- thanks.