PDA

View Full Version : Infrared thermometer will it work for casting.

Dadswickedammo
01-06-2017, 01:54 PM
So I try to buy things I can use for more then one task.
What's your thoughts on an infrared lazier type thermometer. I understand it is only good for surfaces but mix the pot should be ok.

Phlier
01-06-2017, 02:08 PM
i use it for checking sprue plate temps ( I know one of my molds will cast really well from the first cast if the plate is 415F, the other at 375f), but the surface of the melt is either too reflective to get a temp, or if you have a surface protectant on top (burned wood), doesn't give you an accurate reading.

obssd1958
01-06-2017, 02:24 PM
I have two of the IR thermometers, and found the same thing Phlier did. Doesn't work at all on the surface of the melted lead, but can be used to get an idea of what temp the mold is at.
I quit using mine - just wasn't handy enough to bother with.

dragon813gt
01-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Simply put, no.

Here are tests I did a few years back: https://www.goodsteelforum.com/forum/reloading-equipment-and-processes/3251-ir-thermometer-test

Bob in St. Louis
01-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Nope. I wasted money for that exact purpose.
To reflective I guess. Mine was reading from 300 to 900 depending on the amount of trash floating on top.
If it was just fluxed and very shiny it read WAY cold.

StratsMan
01-06-2017, 09:19 PM
I used mine in the garage for awhile, then switched it to the kitchen... works great for getting the cast iron at the right temp for cooking...

...Sorry if that's taking the conversation astray.....

Bob in St. Louis
01-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Hello Neighbor!
Good idea about the cast iron, I'll use that for sure. Thank you!

wyofool
01-06-2017, 10:06 PM
I use one for the oven to do PC but (a big BUT) I put an old rusted washer on the shelf to point at. I have compared it to several oven thermo's and it is fairly accurate. I have done the same with the casting pot but now use a pid. It also works (some what) in the smelting pot when pointed to a dark spot floating on the surface. So I would say they do have a use in the casting room if you remember their limitations.

Engieman
01-07-2017, 03:02 AM
I use one for the oven to do PC but (a big BUT) I put an old rusted washer on the shelf to point at. I have compared it to several oven thermo's and it is fairly accurate. I have done the same with the casting pot but now use a pid. It also works (some what) in the smelting pot when pointed to a dark spot floating on the surface. So I would say they do have a use in the casting room if you remember their limitations.

Using it for the oven.....would shooting it at the secondary kitchen thermometer (the housing) be a good refence point? Reason I ask is between the oven gauge and the kitchen thermometer on the cooking shelf, I'm trying get as close an accurate reading as I can. The first two mentioned are way off....

jmorris
01-07-2017, 09:28 AM
As above, I have several and they are not even close vs a thermocouple or regular thermometer on something reflective.

jcren
01-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Could you float something like a penny to read the temp of?

TexasGrunt
01-07-2017, 11:51 AM
All the newer pennies are copper washed zinc.

dbosman
01-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Wyofool, Thank you for that rusted washer tip!
I don't keep rusted washers at present and never would have thought of that.