PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
01-06-2017, 07:51 AM
He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will."—Matthew 26:39 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=d22a4dc30a&e=3dd732485b)When my sons were growing and one of them had a few dollars to spend, I would take him to the toy store. My son would look around, select a toy he wanted, and then ask me what I thought.

At that moment I would have a vision of his closet and all his broken toys. I knew the toy he was considering also would go that way. So I would tell him, "Well, buddy, I don't think that's a good toy to buy. I recommend you get something different."

"But I want this one."

"Why don't you just wait and think about it."

"Why don't you choose for me, Dad?"

I loved it when my sons would say that. Of course, you know what I ended up doing. I usually ended up spending a little more money on them. I liked to get them great toys.

That is God's attitude toward us, illustrated in a simplistic way. When we ask the Lord to choose for us, He will go above and beyond what we can ask or think. Many times we limit God through our unbelief. He wants to do more than we're asking for. So don't be afraid to say, "Not as I will, but as You will."

D. L. Moody said, "Spread out your petition before God, and then say, 'Thy will, not mine, be done.' The sweetest lesson I have learned in God's school is to let the Lord choose for me."

We don't always know the will of God in every situation. And then there are times when we know it but don't like it. There are also times when we know the will of God but don't understand it. However, we must never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God

USMC87
01-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Great lesson.

square butte
01-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Thank you rl69 for the lesson and your continuing devotion - It's a great story and lesson. Sometimes putting my will aside - God brings me better than I ever could have imagined.

johnson1942
01-06-2017, 12:31 PM
ill be a amen charlie to that one, good point.

smoked turkey
01-06-2017, 12:42 PM
Yes a great lesson. May His will be done in our lives today. He sees the BIG picture and He wants the best for His children too, just like the toys old dad wanted for his children.

Pine Baron
01-06-2017, 01:11 PM
"God brings me better than I ever could have imagined."
When will I ever learn.

Blackwater
01-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Usually, most of us pray for what we WANT, but God wisely gives us what He knows we NEED to get what we truly want, sometimes even more than what we prayed for. He never fails to answer prayers. He DOES sometimes say "No," just like any good parent HAS to. And sometimes, He gives us much MORE than we were actually praying for. He sees so much clearer and more completely and farther down the line than we ever can, that He always gives us what we truly need. It's just up to us to realize that sometimes. We are all His children, and like our children, we can be willful at times, but if we're even half-way intelligent and paying attention, we'll always come to realize that He is always right in how he answers our prayers, and we are often limited in what we ask for by our desires, rather than our wisdom. This is where Faith comes in, and is so very useful and instructive. If we let it, it just makes us ask what we asked for that was out of line, or not quite focused on our REAL problem at hand. I for one am SO glad He says "no" to us at times! Look at kids who are given everything they ask for. Do we REALLY want to be like these???? I doubt it. God always has the discipline and wisdom we often lack, and I for one am VERY thankful for that! VERY thankful!