PDA

View Full Version : 30-40 and Collet Die

BeeMan
06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I would like to try neck sizing 30-40 Krag brass. Not many options are available. I recall someone using shims on common calibers of Lee Collet neck dies. This allowed sizing cases with slightly different lengths.

I've compared 30-40 case drawings to 308 and 30-06. It looks like it might be possible to size a portion of the 30-40 neck in a 30-06 die. I can't quite wrap my mind around whether the 308 with its shorter neck would work, although I think it would require a spacer between the shell holder and die.

Has any one tried this and what results did you get?

Thanks for any help,
BeeMan

KCSO
06-24-2008, 11:16 AM
I just use and old 310 die in an adapter. These are failry common on Gunbroker and E Bay and shouldn't run more than $10 for a single die and $7.50 for the adapter. I got mine years ago at a gun show for 50 cents.

fourarmed
06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Somebody (CRS) - maybe RCBS or Lyman makes a universal .30 caliber NS die. Actually, they make two - one for the short stuff, one for the long. I think it divides at about .30-30.

Morgan Astorbilt
06-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Just back off the full length sizing die a turn or two.
Morgan

scrapcan
06-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Morgan had it best, you already have a die that will let you try it out. IF you are set on the collet die sizing you will have to buy a set for 30-40 or use the method of adaptation that you have suggested. Hornady also makes a set of neck sizers and a dead length bullet seater. I use hornady dies to reload an ackley improved.

jhrosier
06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
FWIW, Lee used to make custom collet dies for not too much money.
I don't know if the service is still offered.
Worth checking though.

ETA: yep! check here: http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/custom.html

Jack

4570guy
06-24-2008, 01:43 PM
I use a .303 British collet die. However, my Krag has such an over-sized bore and throat I can get away with it. Your's may not. I've read somewhere about someone using a Lee Classic Loader in .308 Winchester to neck size Krag brass. Backing off the FL die also works, but it will work the brass a bit more than the collet die. I do this for my .270 as I don't have neck sizing die in this caliber and I haven't had any issues with the brass (yet).

WineMan
06-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I use the LEE 308 Collet die and a brass spacer made from a half inch threaded pipe nipple. It is 0.305 high . It works great and even leaves an unsized portion to help orient the case in the chamber. The brass spacer might eventually smash down but it was easy to make. A steel one would not be a real issue with a good shop. It will not decap with the spacer in place but I use a universal decap die or if you are careful you can decap with the collet die and then add the spacer and NS.

Wineman

BeeMan
07-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I finally got a little time on a lathe this evening and modified a 30-06 Lee collet die. With a shorter collet and mandrel, most of the 30-40 neck gets sized. A custom M type die then preps the case for a .310 boolit. This sure beats the various options I tried while loading for Friday's Independence Day mil-bolt match.

The next step is figuring out why my 180 FP castings stick when sizing down a measly 0.001 in my RCBS lube sizer.

BeeMan