PDA

View Full Version : Blackmon Die Pics?

BlackoutBuilder
01-05-2017, 02:09 PM
I was thinking about a set of Larry Blackmons dies, and wondered if anyone had pictures/video of his dies or the bullets made from them? I cant seem to find very much online, except a price list.

just bill
01-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Jixxerbill has a 3 part video on YouTube that shows Blackmon's dies and press in action.

Red River Rick
01-05-2017, 06:27 PM
0.406 diameter, 225 gr. RN for the .401 WSL.

RRR

BlackoutBuilder
01-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Wow, those are nice. Good work!

BlackoutBuilder
01-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Oh how I mis those old S-10's. I had bought one with a 350 in it, but it had a knock and couldnt afford to fix it. Only drove it a couple miles, but it would scoooot!

Bills Shed
01-05-2017, 08:50 PM
He built me a set to be used in the D Corbin S type press. I think Dave changed a few dimensions and so there was a bit of machine work to get the punches to operate in the S press but the dies are good and the projectiles do what they are meant to. No issues out of the 17H.
Pics are of D Corbin dies for the S press with Larrys shorter dies above them.
The other is a 20gn made from a 22LR case. The jacket alone is over 6gn so there is not much lead in there but they shoot fine.

Bill

alfloyd
01-05-2017, 09:26 PM
This is the swaging ram for the RCBS Rock Chuck press.

this is the point form die for .224 bullets.
This is the punch holder that goes in the top of your press and holds the punch that pushes the slug into the die.
You will need to drill a hole in the body of your press for the swage ram to work.
He rents a jig to locate the hole for you to drill. When you use the swage mod for the press it comes with an auto-eject system.

He also sells the other dies you will need, core swage die, core seat die and the point tip die if you want to make lead tip slugs.

I have and use his system to make my slugs. It works great and cost less that most other dies.

Lafaun

Utah Shooter
01-05-2017, 09:35 PM
What types of pictures are you looking for? I know a few of us have his .224 dies. I know there a lot of pictures out there of his dies.

runfiverun
01-05-2017, 10:04 PM
those look like the SAS press dies.

BlackoutBuilder
01-05-2017, 11:04 PM
The pictures you all provided was pretty much what I was looking for. This is a great place.

bullet maker 57
01-06-2017, 12:51 PM
I have alot of the RCBS swage rams.

BlackoutBuilder
01-15-2017, 09:24 PM
Can different bullet weights be made from the same die sets?

And what sort of raw material is used for the jackets?

just bill
01-15-2017, 09:48 PM
Yep. I had Mr. Blackmon make me a .308 B T point forming die based on 1.40 J4 jackets, I was shooting for 210 gr. I can get 225 gr. The shorter the jacket the lighter the projectile.
Copper tubing jackets are regulated by the length round over punch.

BlackoutBuilder
01-15-2017, 09:54 PM
So, get different round over punches for each bullet weight?

How do I determine the length of the punch?

Utah Shooter
01-17-2017, 12:47 AM
So, get different round over punches for each bullet weight?

How do I determine the length of the punch?
Hmm not sure if I gather what you are getting at. I am able to make different weights with my set based on different weighted cores. You will find each jacket has a certain range that you can change the weight.

BlackoutBuilder
01-17-2017, 12:56 AM
Actually, you answered my question. I wanted to know if different bullet weights could be made on one die set.

How do the Blackmon dies stack up against Corbin?

lead chucker
01-17-2017, 01:44 AM
If you want a 110 to 125 gr you would need a round over punch for that. if you wanted a 150 to 165 you would need a round over punch for that. If you want a hollow point less lead a soft point more lead. You can get a little heavier if you don't close the tip up all the way kind of like a flat point in a 30-30 tube fed lever gun. One punch wont do it all.

Bills Shed
01-17-2017, 02:01 AM
I have both Larry B, and D Corbin dies. Both do the job they were designed for. Both good quality. The advantage is the Corbin dies as I have a D Corbin press and they fit perfectly in the press. Larry B dies are also good but have different external dimensions as they were not built for the S type press. This has lead to a few issues in tooling requirements but make excellent projectiles all the same.

Bill

lead chucker
01-17-2017, 02:03 AM

I read good things about both. I think its a Ford Chevy thing.

mckenziedrums
01-17-2017, 01:34 PM

I read good things about both. I think its a Ford Chevy thing.

Horizontally vs vertically ;)

I don't think you'll have a quality problem with either.

BlackoutBuilder
01-17-2017, 02:13 PM
Ok, but if Larry doesnt respond to his emails, I will probably be going with Corbin, even if it's twice the cost. I want to feel comfortable with customer service, as well as the products, whatever they may be.

I've read that Larry Blackmon doesnt really use computers, but Mr Corbin has answered every email I have sent him. I am waiting on an answer to a question now.

In my jacketed price list, I am not sure if I need both the FJFB-3-S and the CTJM-1-S kits, or if one or the other will suffice. Otherwise, I think I have a complete list.

I saw on Larry Blackmons price list, that I would have to contact him for a price on the tubing jacket dies. If he responds, I might go with his dies. If not, it will almost certainly be Corbin.

mckenziedrums
01-17-2017, 02:20 PM
Larry is well into retirement age... I wouldn't expect instant responses and if you're the type that won't pick up a phone and call and be OK waiting for a return call he may not the person you want to do business with. Dave is certainly one of the best salesman out there, so yea you'll hear from him. BT here on the forum is very good about responding as well.

BlackoutBuilder
01-17-2017, 02:26 PM
I like Larrys prices, but Im not confident in dealing with him.

mckenziedrums
01-17-2017, 02:42 PM
You can have complete confidence in him. Judging from your posts though you picked a supplier weeks ago and you're just looking to feel good about the decision :) Just rip the bandaid off and empty the wallet already!

BlackoutBuilder
01-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Lol. It is at this point, that I have to start saving.

just bill
01-17-2017, 03:04 PM
About 4 years ago I was driving myself crazy with all the questions you are asking, so much so I couldn't remember what I asked when.
Most all the information is in these threads and posts. Cane_man has a huge post about making .308 and 7 mm which has a lot of answers about dies, both for reloading press and 2 ton manual press, reamers, polishing dies and a few other things. However he is just one of many who have successfully made dies.
Bill

BlackoutBuilder
01-17-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks Bill. I hope to help others when I get this stuff bought, and learned. There arent many videos out, so I will make some once I am confident in what I am doing to the point of teaching. I feel a responsibility to pay it forward.

Utah Shooter
01-18-2017, 12:25 AM
Ok, but if Larry doesnt respond to his emails, I will probably be going with Corbin, even if it's twice the cost. I want to feel comfortable with customer service, as well as the products, whatever they may be.

I've read that Larry Blackmon doesnt really use computers, but Mr Corbin has answered every email I have sent him. I am waiting on an answer to a question now.

In my jacketed price list, I am not sure if I need both the FJFB-3-S and the CTJM-1-S kits, or if one or the other will suffice. Otherwise, I think I have a complete list.

I saw on Larry Blackmons price list, that I would have to contact him for a price on the tubing jacket dies. If he responds, I might go with his dies. If not, it will almost certainly be Corbin.
He takes a long time to respond to emails. I would not hold out for that. You must call him if you want to talk to him. I just looked at our email exchange and it was pretty quick but seems like he may not get to his cpu too fast. After all have you looked at his website? Pretty much non existent. Call him

clodhopper
01-18-2017, 02:03 AM
Blackout, I have been watching quite a few videos on machining lately.
Showing mistakes, then talking about them, and how to avoid them in the future, makes more useful learning than just showing flawless execution.