View Full Version : REAL ID Compliance

dragon813gt
01-05-2017, 10:43 AM
I'm putting this here instead of the Pit so more people see it. So please keep political discussions out of it. I will simply say I support the law that PA passed that does not allow us to comply w/ the REAL ID act.

If you're unaware there are federal guidelines for state issued driver's licenses. Most states are out of compliance or have extensions. What this means for states out of compliance is that your DL will not be accepted to board a plane starting 1/22/18. By 10/1/20 everyone needs an ID that conforms to the REAL ID act.

Here is the current info from the DHS: https://www.dhs.gov/current-status-states-territories

This also effect access to federal facilities. As of 1/30/17, this year, if your state is out of compliance your DL will not be accepted to enter a federal facility. This is what started my research as I work in federal facilities.

Most people aren't aware of this act. There is still plenty of time for you to obtain an alternate form of ID if you're a casual traveler. Passports are acceptable so if you have one you don't need to do anything.

TSA info regarding acceptable forms of ID: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

popper
01-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Why not comply? Just a hard to fake DL/ID with alien status marked. The insurance marker is sort of stupid as many get ins. for a card, then drop it. Heck, put a chip on it like a CC that has authentication.

dtknowles
01-05-2017, 12:09 PM
I think we are noncompliant here in Louisiana and our site had to get a waiver to use LA drivers licenses to issue access badges. I am also interested in why States are not compliant and why that might be a good thing.

Tim

popper
01-05-2017, 12:46 PM
alien status marked & insurance proof & digital pic. The last one is cost to re-issue DL/ID. Anti-counterfeiting issues. Basic same problem that CC have.

dragon813gt
01-05-2017, 02:02 PM
National ID database is one reason why states are not complying. Undue financial costs are another reason. If you look into why they aren't complying I'm happy they aren't. This is another federal over reach. But that's gets us into a political debate which I want to avoid in this forum.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-05-2017, 03:15 PM
MN is noncompliant, much to the chagrin of our Governor. Minnesotan's (of all political flavors) have a independence streak a mile wide and demand that of our State legislators. I believe for MN it's a State's Rights thingy along with the citizen privacy, but I am not up on it enough to argue about it? It will surely be talked about in the 2017 MN legislative session, which started this week.

I believe in MN, when you apply/reapply for a State DL, there is an option for getting one that is REAL ID compliant. Mine is almost expired, so I will find out soon enough.

waksupi
01-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Well, I guess that eliminates any of us sitting on federal court cases in the future!

smokeywolf
01-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Greater enhancement of the government's ability to identify and track your movements and activities.

This, like every other choice in our lives boils down to "risk vs reward". Which constitutes the greater risk to the American public? Increased and more detailed government snooping or spying on Americans or the muslim threat?

The risk is giving gov't yet greater ability to track your movements and interests. The reward being the increased possibility that terrorists are spotted before they can murder.

Geezer in NH
01-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Show us your papers!!! shouted loudly by a minor bureaucrat is what it is about, control.

shooter93
01-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Maybe the states should pass a compliant id for the Feds. If it doesn't comply with ours they can leave.

starmac
01-05-2017, 06:11 PM
This has been pushed for several years, just more proof that Osama won the war of 9/11.

dragon813gt
01-05-2017, 06:38 PM
There are a lot of other acceptable forms of ID. I realize not everyone travels internationally but passports are easily attainable. The passport card is the same size as a DL. But of course it has a RFID chip. If you travel often TSA PreCheck is pretty much a necessity. Global Entry isn't much more money and gives you more benefits. One of them is an ID card the size of a DL. Of course it has a RFID chip as well. TWIC will allow you to access federal buildings.

These all cost money. I'm lucky as my employer pays for all of them. My state issued DL costs $35 so that's not free. It just happens to be the cheapest.

I posted this as a warning for people that don't travel often. You'd never know about this because of sparse media coverage. I don't want to see anyone denied while trying to go see their grandchildren or trying to escape on a vacation. The lines at airports are already bad enough and denials will just slow everything down.

Geezer in NH
01-05-2017, 07:05 PM
And to keep us safe Obama deletes the muslim list.

It's about control not safety as what he did proves.

dragon813gt
01-05-2017, 07:21 PM
The REAL ID Act was passed in 2005 before Obama became president.

Sosruko
01-05-2017, 07:39 PM
In Minnesota, there is a $15 fee on top of the DL fee. I recently renewed and had to make the choice. Since I have a valid passport, I chose not to pay the extra fee...

MN is noncompliant, much to the chagrin of our Governor. Minnesotan's (of all political flavors) have a independence streak a mile wide and demand that of our State legislators. I believe for MN it's a State's Rights thingy along with the citizen privacy, but I am not up on it enough to argue about it? It will surely be talked about in the 2017 MN legislative session, which started this week.

I believe in MN, when you apply/reapply for a State DL, there is an option for getting one that is REAL ID compliant. Mine is almost expired, so I will find out soon enough.

runfiverun
01-05-2017, 08:25 PM
is this the same drivers license/ID card you give them to purchase a firearm?

tomme boy
01-05-2017, 08:33 PM
It also because of the digital picture as mentioned. It is because of facial recognition programs. You can't wear glasses as it messes up the scanning software.

Down South
01-05-2017, 08:49 PM
My passport and TWIC card are paid for by my company. I renewed my Passport in 2016 so I have a little better than 9 yrs left on it. I need to renew my TWIC card. I do have to travel international.
I also have TSA Pre.

The DL doesn't surprise me as many illegals have been able to obtain them. Other forms of ID that I mentioned above require an FBI background check. The standard DL doesn't.

shoot-n-lead
01-05-2017, 09:01 PM
This will be a non-issue for most...they will not turn people away at the door or gate of most Fed buildings, due to this. IF it even starts to happen, Trump will kill it...quick..as it would pose a problem for a lot of necessary functions.

dragon813gt
01-05-2017, 09:03 PM
is this the same drivers license/ID card you give them to purchase a firearm?

Yes, but you don't present it to the TSA when buying one.

Stewbaby
01-05-2017, 09:24 PM
I've got the TWIC, but surprisingly for once Mississippi is ahead of the curve and compliant, so no worries here. Agree though, feels like fed overreach.

starmac
01-05-2017, 09:29 PM
I do not know what all info is available to those that scan the bar code on a dl, but I have several times been in line waiting to get on base when they scanned a persons license and pulled them aside and held them until civilian police showed up.
I ask a guard about it and was told that any warrant shows up when they scan it, I don't personally know if that is a fact or not.

JimB..
01-05-2017, 10:15 PM
I've had Global Entry for years and never got a wallet sized card. What is the benefit if you still carry your passport, or is the card able to be used for North American travel without a passport?

What is TWIC?

dragon813gt
01-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Transportation Workers Identification Credential. I need it to get into maritime facilities.

Global Entry Card: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/card

I've never used it. But it's a valid form of ID for people that live in noncompliant states.

maxreloader
01-05-2017, 10:52 PM
The REAL ID Act was passed in 2005 before Obama became president.

Yes, Maine was and is non-compliant and was a pita for me travelling to MTL and QBC from Maine every week. An ID would have made it quicker in the short-term but who knows in the long-term. OP is onto something that stinks here.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-05-2017, 11:27 PM
In Minnesota, there is a $15 fee on top of the DL fee. I recently renewed and had to make the choice. Since I have a valid passport, I chose not to pay the extra fee...
thanks for the info. Now to decide "to", or "not to", spend $15...I hate flying, and love the idea of telling anyone that wants/needs me to fly...to go fly a kite...LOL.

JimB..
01-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Transportation Workers Identification Credential. I need it to get into maritime facilities.

Global Entry Card: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/card

I've never used it. But it's a valid form of ID for people that live in noncompliant states.

Thanks, I seem to recall discussing the card and I passed on it because it is only for land entry which I don't use, and not being a transportation worker...

I am continually amazed at the depth and breadth of knowledge on this forum.

dragon813gt
01-05-2017, 11:33 PM
It's not just for transportation workers. I'm a service technician. Last time I used my TWIC card was to gain access to a Coast Guard Cutter that was in port. They have a bunch of our units on board. If you don't work at maritime facilities you have no need for one.

Greg S
01-06-2017, 01:53 AM
I had my AK driver's license rejected at Anchorage airport. I whipped out my TWIC card and the idiot would recognize it either as he is wearing one on his shirt as identification. Duhhhh, here your F..... sign. I ended up digging out my passport then I brought the TWIC card up again. There alittle more in depth than a PP.

It's just really hard to find good help these days.

starmac
01-06-2017, 05:23 AM
Twic card really doesn't mean much at an airport.
They used to let us on base with them, but stopped that several years ago.
I have a passport for going into Canada, but now you can get a passport card that fits in your wallet for about half the price of a passport.

dragon813gt
01-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Twic card really doesn't mean much at an airport.
They used to let us on base with them, but stopped that several years ago.
I have a passport for going into Canada, but now you can get a passport card that fits in your wallet for about half the price of a passport.

The little I could find from the DOD says the TWIC card is accepted as a secondary form of ID. So show them your noncompliant state DL and the TWIC card to back it up.

The passport cards are really only good for getting into Canada over land. Still need your full passport when flying. Most don't seem to be aware they even exist and I can see someone attempting to fly w/ one.

Down South
01-06-2017, 11:21 AM
I've used my TWIC card a number of times instead of Drivers License at airports for ID and never had a problem when flying domestic.

I really don't have any need for a passport card. If I'm heading overseas, the real deal is what is needed. LOL, It would tough for Customs to stamp a card...

bedbugbilly
01-06-2017, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the post dragon.

Heck, this has to be a really good idea 'cause the Feds came up with it. Personally, I have no problems showing my ID but if the Feds instituted this to get on board an airplane or into a Fed facility, etc. - i.e. have a "conforming ID" - seems to me that the same requirement should be followed for everything - like PROVING you are a citizen before you can vote! But hey, I'm just one of the "deplorable people" who wants to step on the civil rights of others when it comes to checking to see if someone is a citizen before they have the right to suck my tax dollar away with freebies. Really upsetting . . . . guess it's time to go to my sanctuary room and have a hot chocolate and color in my coloring book . . . .

Just another example of the Feds wanting the "control" but at the cost of the states having to do their dirty work for them.

Blackwater
01-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Forrest Gump said it: "Stupid is as stupid does!" The current (for only a few more days, thank God!) administration has done all sorts of idjity things like this. No thought of how it will affect normal life, and I honestly believe they laugh at the results, and find glee in it!). And NOW, they're releasing some MORE at Gitmo! C'MON TRUMP!!!! PLEASE remove as much of this idjity nonsense as possible!

What happens if you're subpoenaed to Fed. jury duty, and your DL won't allow you to enter the bldg???? It's clearly unworkable and .... well, idjity!