PDA

View Full Version : CH4D Press

ocx
06-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Anyone using the CH4D Heavyweight press for reloading? Looks very nice but no one can tell me what the frame is made of. Thanks.

Bret4207
06-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Did you go to their website? I think it's www.ch4d.com Give them a shout. IIRC it's supposed to be a pretty good press.

Yup, thats the link. They have an email under "contact".

Le Loup Solitaire
06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
This version of the C&H has a die-cast (probably tougher aircraft grade) aluminum base and the die holder and shell holder carrier are made of the same stuff. Strong! The handle, power transfer bar, the guide struts and the linkage are all solid steel. Very strong. Be sure to keep everything that has a joint and moves.. well oiled/greased. I use 3-in-one-oil and white lithium grease. The press is strong and handles 4 dies of any caliber, but I would not recommend it for swaging or case reforming. No sense in pushing things to the limit. Its also pretty fast, especially with pistol calibers(short) as most are easy to shuttle/shuffle around thru the stations. Manufacturer claims 200 per hour but I have never gotten that much. I suppose that someone with good manual dexterity could, with practice, do it. It will handle rifle calibers well including the tall ones. Press requires a shell holder for each station in a four die set, or three depending on the caliber, but the total purchase is only painful one time in the beginning. I have had one of these for 12 years and its going strong. I also have 2 of its predecessors...the 3 station versions and an original one station for over 30+ years and they have always functioned well and are still working fine. They're compact and although the priming systems have evolved, nothing much else really changed in the design. Once you get the case shuffling sequence down pat, theres no more confusion or mix up especially with the 4 station and your loading speeds up; each pull of the handle produces a loaded round. Works slick! LLS

Swagerman
06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Had this one close to 20 years, its had so much cartridge brass processed on it that the roller cam is a bit noisy in its movement...but still gets the job done.

The shell holders have Collier rings with hex screws, quick change of SH.

The bottom shell holder rising plate of 4 die stations has an automatic primer catcher that rises up to catch the spent primer and then brings it back down to table top automatic opening and dropping spent primer in the primer cup.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PA060032C-Hcropped.jpg

quasi
06-24-2008, 06:20 PM
I have used the C&H Heavyweight Champion for 20 years, if that is the press you are referring to. It was purchased to replace a Rockchucker that I broke!

THE C&H is the best single stage press I have ever used, it is the most ergonomic, powerful press I have used. I would sell my Hollywood turret before selling my C&H.

Swagerman
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
The picture above is not a C-H Champion model, the Champion is the most sturdiest single stage press that C-H makes.

Sorry, don't have a picture of one, but you can find it on their catalog web site.

Jim

ocx
06-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys for your opinions.

CH4D calls it their Heavy Duty Champion Press. It appears that the frame and toggle are cast steel, like the early RCBS single stage presses. If nothing else it should be stronger than the cast iron pesses that seem to be so prevalent today.

ocx
07-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Well, I had to see for myself. The press arrived earlier today. Nearly no assembly, screw in the handle, put on the handle retaining nut and install a shell holder.

First, this thing is heavy. At least 30+ pounds and that is the frame and the toggle, which are cast steel with a beautiful pebbled black finish. The frame is set up like a typical O-frame design. Window is 3.75 inches from the top of my shell holder to the bottom of the frame. Top of frame has a choice of bushing, my choice was a 7/8-14. A full stroke only brings the handle down to a point perpendicular to the frame. The ram is 1.185 inches in diameter and feels like a bank vault door opening and closing. Truly, a beast of a press.

No, this is not an infomercial and I am in no way associated with CH Tool, I paid full price plus shipping. Actually the price was reasonable based on what RCBS A2s are fetching on E-Bay. In fact, I may not keep this since there is a Corbin CSP-1 on the way.

quasi
07-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Yes, it is a brute. Lee advertizes their classic press as having the largest ram available, it is 1 .125" and is probably made from tubing knowing Lee.

KCSO
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
If the ram wasn't tubing how could the primers drop through? Yes it is tubing with about 1/4" wall thickness. After about 5000 rounds the top adapter tends to work loose and needs to be re locktited in place, but otherwise no problems.

quasi
07-03-2008, 05:54 PM
If the ram wasn't tubing how could the primers drop through? Yes it is tubing with about 1/4" wall thickness. After about 5000 rounds the top adapter tends to work loose and needs to be re locktited in place, but otherwise no problems.

The same way the A2, A3 RCBS presses and the C&H does it , with an angled hole drilled thru a solid bar of steel.