PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
01-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.—Romans 12:15 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=2835fabd79&e=3dd732485b)If you were to go to Israel today, you could see olive trees dating back to the time of Christ. Some are believed to be the actual trees Jesus may have prayed beneath in the Garden of Gethsemane.

The word Gethsemane means "olive press." This was a place where olives were pressed to make oil. It was also the place where our Savior was pressed to give us life.

At Gethsemane, Jesus said to Peter, James, and John, "Stay here and watch with Me" (Matthew 26:38). What an honor afforded to these three. He took them into this holy moment of His life and asked them to be there with Him.

Notice that He didn't say, "Stay here and give me a little sermon and explain what's going on." He didn't ask for an explanation of any kind. He simply asked them to be there.

When a person is hurting, when a person is suffering, one of the best things we can do as Christians is to simply be there with them. I think far too often we feel that we always have to have an answer for everything or a little sermon to explain every situation that a person is facing. We don't realize that sometimes the best thing we can do is be there. As the Bible says, "Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep" (Romans 12:15 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://3)).

When something horrible has happened, some Christians will come along with some pat clichés, while others will say they know how it feels, but maybe they don't. Let's simply try to understand that someone is going through a time of great difficulty.

One of the best things we can do for others in situations like these is to just be there, love them, and pray for them.

USMC87
01-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Amen, Agree completely.

Blackwater
01-05-2017, 02:16 PM
Wow! Such a powerful point! "Be there!" Could anything equal that? We're all imperfect and often don't know what to do or say. But we always CAN just "be there." And nothing can ever be more important than that. In WWII, millions enlisted after Pearl Harbor. They decided they'd be there for the nation. Every day, people choose to either be there for each other, for family, friends or even total strangers, and nobody notices. It never makes the news, so folks tend to think it doesn't happen if it's not reported on, or that it's not important, because it didn't hit the news. But nothing is or ever COULD be more important than just simply showing up and serving, however inept we may be at it sometimes when it comes to actually helping. But we CAN always "be there." Makes me ashamed when I remember some things from the past. But that's gone, and all any of us can do, is keep our keels and rudders active, and correct our course when we get off to any degree.

Thanks for a wonderful example and reminder that sometimes, just being there is all we really CAN do, but it's still so very crucial for so many, many occasions. Kids today are bored because parents don't spend any time with them, or talk to them openly and honestly like adults. Consequently, they never really grow up to be adults - just overgrown children, who need disciplining. Life always disciplines these types, but do the parents ever really learn? That is the big question and just "being there" for them makes SO much difference.

I know a man who's of limited mental faculties, but he's always willing to do whatever he can to support himself and his family. They all love each other, and they're always there for each other. They may not know a lot about what to do when sorrows or challenges come, but they are always there for each other, and they're willing to go looking, and ask others what they think they ought to do. Very humble. They know they're easily confused. But they handle it, and they love each other, and their friends, and are always there for them all to lend a helping hand, or simply to laugh or cry together, whatever is facing them at that moment. And a happier and more thankful and appreciative family you'll never see. I love this guy and his family. What a great example they set for anyone who's just not to "fancy" or "uppidy" to see what they truly have among them. The wonder of love, and always being there for each other.

buckwheatpaul
01-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Sometimes they dont want us to solve their problem because they know we cant. They just want to verbalize, vent, their problem and are content for someone to just let them have their say without us putting our 2 cents worth in. Great points rl69...thanks. Paul

Pine Baron
01-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Thank you rl. It's tough sometimes. I think most of us here are "problem solvers" and when confronted we like to "fix" things. Wisdom dictates knowing when to listen and knowing when to act.

smoked turkey
01-05-2017, 06:49 PM
Great Post. So true. We can do a lot to help someone just by being there at their time of need. Prayer is such a powerful force and probably the best thing we can do to help someone in need.