PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dot and 41 Mag

Art in Colorado
01-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Have several hundread handloads for 41 Mag that were loaded before all the warnings came out. Load is a 215 cast and 12 Grains of Blue Dot. Have just bought into a S&W no dash 57. Would you all have any concerns using these loads in it? or should I just pull them. I used to use these loads in a Freedom Arms Model 83 which I no longer have. Figured no harm would be done to that 5 gun.

LUCKYDAWG13
01-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Just for my own peace of mind I would pull them probably ok to shoot them but why risk it

376Steyr
01-05-2017, 10:19 AM
+1 on probably okay but why risk it. They don't make 57-no dashes anymore. Justified or not, it will bother you every time you pull the trigger.

Art in Colorado
01-05-2017, 09:44 PM
I was pretty sure I would pull them. Just wondering if I was thinking right. I remember reading Paco Kelly on the 41 Mag. I think he was using 15 Gr of Blue Dot. He called Blue Dot the champagne of powders for the 41 Mag.

GLynn41
01-06-2017, 12:24 PM
-- long a go bob Mileck-- a gun writer used BD in the .41 while he liked it
he also warned that it should not be used in cold weather --think out west-- because the safe loads became very unsafe-sticky and cratered primers
I used BD off and on for a while --it was ok but peaked very fast and I never could get the claimed performance
I too read and sometimes reread-Paco -- but I have never been able to load any of my six guns .41,44 like he does-- for me BD has been at best not as champagne but more like maybe root beer(I do not drink :)----
Are your loads safe--do not have a clue-seems they were in your FA----the powder maker says no --as reloaders all of us should understand your problem --as well made revolver rounds can be a pain to pull