PDA

View Full Version : Some Days the Casting Gods frown

rintinglen
01-04-2017, 05:44 PM
The last couple of months I have been shooting my 38's in preference to the 44's and 327's, which has diminished my stash to the point where I needed to do a little casting to rebuild my inventory.

So today I decided to break out an old friend and put it an hour or two to run off some wadcutters. My H&G 50 has seen more use than any other mold I have owned in the last 25 years and I usually get excellent results with it. But not today.
For some reason, I just couldn't remember the details were of what and how it liked to be filled to get good boolits. I'd get a a couple of good casts, then I'd have a one with partially filled castings or obvious air bubbles. Nearly a fourth of the boolits cast had obvious defects. Checking the mold and running a bamboo skewer through the vent lines did'nt reveal any problems. So I reheated the mold and went back at it, but with only slightly better results than before. I added a bit of pewter to the pot and fluxed again, fiddled with the mold again, and got back at it a third time.

This time things were better, fillout was good, I had found the cadence and method it takes to get best results, when the right side of the mold came off the handles and fell in my lap. Even through the FR jeans that was hot but I grabbed it with my welding gloved hand and got it up before it did too much damage. It took me about ten minutes to find the two pieces of the pin that holds the mold half onto the handles, during which time I rediscovered the ancient truth that a hot boolit looks just like a cold one. However, they can be easily distinguished by touch.

It was at this point that I determined that I had displeased the casting gods and decided that today was an inauspicious day for boolit manufacture. I unplugged the pot and called it enough. There's 8 or 9 pounds of boolits that I'll size and tumble lube, but no more hot stuff today.

shoot-n-lead
01-04-2017, 05:55 PM
I have had days like that...almost like you have never done it....nothing wants to work.

Matter of fact, I was just out trying to cast a few soft nose bullets as I am completely out of them. Everything was a challenge, so, before I got thoroughly aggravated, I unplugged the pot and gave it up...try again, later.

dverna
01-04-2017, 07:46 PM
As an engineer, I am a firm believer that there is no art to casting. It is a repeatable process IF you understand it. We can make it an "art" by using alloys that vary in composition from run to run. A known alloy running at the correct temperature, yes you need a way to measure it, will cast the same way day after day, month after month.

If a mold/alloy that has run well starts to produce poor bullets, something has changed.

Don Verns

Thumbcocker
01-04-2017, 08:42 PM
I believe that molds have personalities.

runfiverun
01-04-2017, 08:55 PM
yes they do, and sometimes they are super easy going and you can't mess them up [priceless molds]
and others that have to be picky and snooty about everything from plate temp, to alloy swirl, and sprue size.
I know it's all about mold temp and venting but the mold doesn't.

DerekP Houston
01-04-2017, 09:17 PM
I believe that molds have personalities.

i'm of the same opinion ;). I like to note down what works for my particular molds but I have experienced the same luck some days. Generally just about the time I'm ready to call it quits they start acting right.

shoot-n-lead
01-04-2017, 09:19 PM
As an engineer, I am a firm believer that there is no art to casting. It is a repeatable process IF you understand it. We can make it an "art" by using alloys that vary in composition from run to run. A known alloy running at the correct temperature, yes you need a way to measure it, will cast the same way day after day, month after month.

Don Verns

Yes...but there ARE more variables when one is working in less than a laboratory... i.e. there are NEVER 2 batches of the "same" alloy that are EXACTLY the same...and slightly different alloys have slightly different properties. Another, if you don't have PID temp control...temp can be tougher to maintain at times, depending on where you set your pot...inside or outside. Also, cold weather with a little wind will always affect my cadence with a mold...depends on the air temperature...can be a lot of difference between that and summertime casting. Those are 3 examples, but there are more. So, in theory, what you say is true, but in reality...it misses the mark...due to the the variables that are beyond your control.

leeggen
01-04-2017, 09:31 PM
All things machanical and electrical have personalities much like women. It is up to you to guess what face they have on today. Oh and do not make them mad you will never get shed of the guilt.
CD

GhostHawk
01-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Some days man is just not supposed to mess with hot metal.

I was taught this by an old rock hound and silver smith who owned a rock shop full of curious things.

I walked in one day as he was pouring a cold one, he looked up, saw me, grunted something to the effect of "emm, thanks for reminding me" as he walked past me, locked the door, and flipped the open sign to closed at 3:30 in the afternoon.

Is there a reason for this"

Yep, god's don't want no one working hot metal today. Some days no matter how good you are, how careful you are stuff just does not work right. It doesn't go.

Over the years I have learned that he was right. Some days the flux does not flux, the joint you think is perfect will leak. And anything that is less than perfect won't solder at all. Boolits don't fill, sprue doesn't cut right, murphy's law is kicked into gear with full force and double penalty's.

All you can do is walk away. Hope for a better day tomorrow.
Does not seem to matter if it is gold, silver, lead, solder, I think it may effect welding to a lessor effect.

sw282
01-04-2017, 10:00 PM
And boolits have a mind of their own too...Try firing a 5 shot group. There's ALWAYS one boolit with a mind of its OWN..

That's why l prefer 3 shot ones

Mitch
01-04-2017, 10:20 PM
I have been casting for 4 years now.You all have made my day with this thread.For a long time I had a hard time casting.It seems foinf from a beginner to a decent caster comes down to knowing to knowing when that bad day is.And Thank God there are a lot less of them now.I find casting to be very relaxing if it is not it is one of those days.Shut everything down and try again in a day or 2.Again thanks for letting us all know it is just the way it is some days.

Bullwolf
01-04-2017, 11:19 PM
I like to note down what works for my particular molds but I have experienced the same luck some days.

Generally just about the time I'm ready to call it quits they start acting right.

I do the same thing with the fussy ones. Toss a note in the box saying that this mould wants X, Y, or Z done, to cast nice boolits with.

And I totally agree with you about the last line.

Just about the time that I'm ready to give up on a fussy mould, and put it away... THAT'S when it will start to cast nice, and then I really don't want to stop until there's large pile of boolits in front of me.

- Bullwolf

country gent
01-04-2017, 11:27 PM
I would be lost with out my notebooks and the information they contain pertaining my alloies moulds and equipment. Same with my load notebooks. They keep me going strong with out having to remeber everything. A quick read thru of my notes the evening before and Im refreshed and going.

dverna
01-05-2017, 12:07 AM
Ask yourself how commercial casters manage to produce good bullets consistently.

They do not use whatever scrap they can get at the cheapest cost possible. They use foundry lead that is consistent. They also control the process.

Don Verna

shoot-n-lead
01-05-2017, 12:14 AM
Ask yourself how commercial casters manage to produce good bullets consistently.

They do not use whatever scrap they can get at the cheapest cost possible. They use foundry lead that is consistent. They also control the process.

Don Verna

What does that have to do with hobbyist casters on this forum?

Most people understand that given an ideal setup that near perfect consistency can be achieved. You are not "enlightening" anyone.

Wild Bill 7
01-05-2017, 12:27 AM
Just got home from work and read this thread and had a big laugh. The laugh was from hot and cold boolits look the same but are not the same temp. Ask how I know. �� Glad you didn't get hurt though.

reloader28
01-06-2017, 01:31 AM
Its funny how one night everything is right and going perfect and without touching ANYTHING, you cannot make a usable boolit the next night.
I'm a firm believer that humidity, air pressure, wind outside, the alignment of the moon and possibly ocean currents have an affect on casting.
I always go for 3 hours in a session to make as many consistant boolits in a night as I can because of this.

shoot-n-lead
01-06-2017, 01:51 AM
Its funny how one night everything is right and going perfect and without touching ANYTHING, you cannot make a usable boolit the next night.
I'm a firm believer that humidity, air pressure, wind outside, the alignment of the moon and possibly ocean currents have an affect on casting.
I always go for 3 hours in a session to make as many consistant boolits in a night as I can because of this.

It ain't funny at all, when it is one of those nights...Aaarrrggghhh!