PDA

View Full Version : The finish of P.C.

vrh
01-04-2017, 10:08 AM
Is the baked finish of a P.C. bullet as smooth as a factory jacketed bullet ? Some people say yes and some say no.

daloper
01-04-2017, 10:18 AM
Mine are smooth and you can feel that they are slick.

Smoke4320
01-04-2017, 10:20 AM
If you electrostatic spray I would say yes ..
If you shake and bake no .. some will be close but most will have some very minor surface imperfections (minor bumps in finish)
it will NOT affect accuracy in any way

GRUMPA
01-04-2017, 10:24 AM
To be a bit more precise.....I size mine and that area is like a mirror finish. The rest of the boolit has an egg-shell finish to it, although very slick to the touch it'll have a very slight uneven look to it. I only tumble mine and don't use the electrostatic method.

Dragonheart
01-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Grumpa is correct the substrate can make a difference. If your bullets have mold marks or a rough surface they will telescope through. Since the polymer flows, some molds that are highly polished like my NOE Brass molds and my old H&G molds turn out very bright smooth bullets and the overall PC finish will tend to be more uniform and smooth, but all my PC bullets are slick as far as the finish.

TexasGrunt
01-04-2017, 03:17 PM
It depends on the powder too. I have powders that even done through a gun give a textured finish.

Dragonheart
01-06-2017, 10:45 AM
It depends on the powder too. I have powders that even done through a gun give a textured finish.

Yes, some powders are intended to have a textured finish or some powders, like the illusion powders, are intended to have a top coat and will look completely different after the top coat is applied. Point is there are thousands of colors and several different types of polymers with many variations in additives to the polymers. For bullets I think a quality high gloss solid color powder in the primary colors works the best, but with all the powder choices it is what ever floats your boat.