PDA

View Full Version : power source for a tablet.

seppos
01-04-2017, 06:10 AM
As I travel a lot, I sometimes run out of power from my tablet. Can any of you suggest good power source for Huawei tablet as I hate to connect the cable to the 12 volt car plug.

S

dragon813gt
01-04-2017, 06:41 AM
Charging from a vehicle isn't going to hurt anything. All of my devices are charged this way all the time. But if you want a portable power supply look at Anker's product line. Their larger ones can charge tablets multiple times w/ one charge. I carry one for international trips so I don't have to mess w/ power adapters outside of hotel rooms.

seppos
01-04-2017, 06:43 AM
Thanks!
Already checked.

S

Petrol & Powder
01-04-2017, 08:01 AM
It's really a "round the barn" method but I've seen several people just get a small 110VAC inverter and simply use the standard wall charger.

You take 12 VDC, convert it to 110 VAC and the power supply converts it back to 12 VDC. Not efficient but it works.

Randy Bohannon
01-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Have you considered one of the external lithium/USB external battery packs ? Amazon has an outstanding deals on highly rated 5.4 amp battery packs.The one I bought will do like 3 tablets,9 iPhones with power to spare $40.00.Then you just recharge the external battery pack and your other devices when convenient.Supposedly the charge in the external battery packs will remain 100% for a week.
I won't see mine until Fri. I bought mine to do one specific job, to run my new Lab Radar chronograph.It takes 6 AA batteries or a USB port that accepts the external battery packs.
Looking on Amazon there's a myriad of different battery packs and surely there's one made that will fit your devices.
This is the one I just bought, it lists your laptop as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G1XH46M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kayala
01-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Just out of curiosity - what's wrong with charging from the car plug ?

Good Cheer
01-04-2017, 10:23 AM
If the electrons spin the other way in the southern hemisphere what do you need on the equator?

Bad joke... apologies, I couldn't resist.
Got a Soundlogic power stick (no doubt that's the wrong product name) for Christmas, waiting to try it out. Have no idea about your power requirements or connections but maybe something similar would work for an on the stop quick recharge.

Walkingwolf
01-04-2017, 11:07 AM
My wife has a hootoo that powers her hard drive for her tablet. It can also be used to charge a tablet.

garym1a2
01-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Make sure its sized for air travel as they have limits.

seppos
01-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Yes.. good point!

S

Soundguy
01-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Just out of curiosity - what's wrong with charging from the car plug ?

That's my question too.. why not the car plug. It's just dropping the cars 12-14v down to 5-5.1 with a simple vreg circuit.

Heck.. i have taken those cheap stubby car plugs that cost 2$ from the chinese tool stores, they have no wire just a usb slot. you can hook a regular 9v battery to them and they work JUST FINE. really.

You can pop open the plastic slug and there is just a piece of wafer board about the size of a dime. I've seen a couple types, one with a single TIP cased vreg and a led, and one with a small multi pin surface mount IC and a led.

Solder a 9v battery cap with a couple inches of leads, and insulate the circuit board and you can have a portable power supply for anything needing usb power for some time depending on the batteries you use. Many of those chargers will run on as low as 6.5 volts.. especially the cheaper ones. Some of the more expensive ones have 8-10v battery saver cutouts built in.

You could take a elastic sleeve that was sewed to slip on a 9v battery, sew in a pocket to hold the dime sized wafer board leaving a hole for the usb port, run the wires out of the sleeve to the 9v battery cap, and have a little 'cuff' that you simply slip a 9v battery into and pop the cap on and poof.. you have usb power available. Get smart and use a rechargeable NIMH or LI battery.. and you have renewable power on the cheap. I made a proof of concept 'fun project' a little while back after watching a youtube video on a prepper site.

I took a small tin.. I think it was altoids.. but it may have been some other type of mint. cut a slot in it, hotglued in that dime sized usb board, with 9v bat cap wires on it. put a piece of foam in the tin so that a 9v battery didn't slide around, and could attach to the battery wire. PS.. the tin will hold 2 batteries.. if you wanted.. plus the dime sized board.

Then you find some junk calculators with the little solar cell on them.. many are 1.5v, though I have found 3v versions.

scavenge enough to exceede your rechargeable cells nominal voltage and used sticky double sided tape and glued them to the inside of the tin lid, so that when open, it would charge, and when closed, the delicate solar cell strips were safe. sure.. it takes forever to recharge the batteriy.. but.. it works.. ( for reference. many cheaper rechargeable 9v batteries are only 8.4v.. thus 6 1.5v cells will charge them well. ). For the non electronic types.. don't worry about open circuit cell voltage and getting 'exact'. the rechargeable bat load will be quite sufficient to keep charging voltage safe if you are anywhere close to the correct voltage of cells, and if you actually use the rechargeable battery any.. you likely won't be in a charged state often / long. Also remember.. if your usb circuit is one of the dumb ones that will run on as low as 6.5 v or so.. that even if your battery is only charged at 7.2v.. ( reduced number of solar cells / discharged and not yet recharged ).. that it will still work , but at a reduced runtime capacity.

Fun little project to waste time. ;) But much less waste than inverting 12vdc to 120vac, to then just TRIAC it down to 5.1vdc from your home charger....

seppos
01-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Yes..
Nowdays they have the solarsells even in backbacks so you could be in internet everywhere with a tablet or mobile phone.

S

Soundguy
01-04-2017, 12:21 PM
PS..

If you have access to lots of electronic junk.. ( enclosures, battery packs out of some device, etc ) you can build this for less than 5$ ( the cost of the cheap usb cig plug ) rechargeable usb power pack.

However if you like the concept but don't like the electronics design part.. you can hit walmart or amazon and get a solar rechargeable lithium ion or NIMH usb rechargeable battery pack for 13-20+$ pre made.. no soldering. :)

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-04-2017, 12:23 PM
12 Ah
this thing is awesome
http://www.harborfreight.com/lithium-ion-jump-starter-and-power-pack-62749.html

garym1a2
01-04-2017, 08:10 PM
This solar power charger/battery is good for is good for 15000mA and charges in a usp port or wall power. Only $18.99.

ToHLo Solar Charger Power Bank 15000mAh, Solar External Battery Pack, Dual USB Portable External Solar Power Bank Charger

Tom W.
01-04-2017, 08:13 PM
I bought a small tower from Sharper Image. It has 4 plugs .We take it when we go to keep the tablet and phones charged. I believe I bought it at T.J. Maxx.

brassrat
01-05-2017, 01:13 AM
I use and maintain a ton of rechargeable cells of all sizes. Went out and bought battery packs in AA and D and wired them to 12V and some 6V into a 12 V plug. I just plug in a car charger or various auto plug-ins and walla stuff will run or charge with power to spare. The battery packs connect with a 9V connection to the plug and I used some wire sheathing and hot glue to keep it all solid.

Soundguy
01-05-2017, 10:43 AM
I bought a small tower from Sharper Image. It has 4 plugs .We take it when we go to keep the tablet and phones charged. I believe I bought it at T.J. Maxx.

Cheap USB hubs with their own power source will work too. you are limited to 500ma per port.. but they work.. no pc needed. just plug the hub into power, and then the power ports are active.

Half Dog
01-05-2017, 11:05 AM
I too have used a portable battery jump starter. It even has a USB port.