PDA

View Full Version : .401 molds question on design measurements that I'm trying to find

Strtspdlx
01-04-2017, 01:06 AM
I recently purchased a Lee 6 cavity 401-175 mold and while it is great, it's bevel base which I prefer not to have and I'm having problems pan lubing which I think may be related to the shallow groove and the lube I prefer to use which is beeswax Vaseline and paraffin in equal parts by weight. I'm currently looking at the Lyman mold comparable to this and the rcbs 40-180-fn. the Lyman is a bevel base and the lube groove looks about the same as the Lee from the pictures I've seen. I haven't found anything with dimensions yet. The rcbs looks to possibly be the same but it is a flat base which I do prefer. If anyone could point me in the direction of published blueprint on either mold so I know what I'm getting into or if they could take measurements of bullets if they have one of the molds I'm considering is greatly appreciate it. Thanks

RobS
01-04-2017, 07:53 AM
Considering the cost of a new lyman or rcbs mold you can go to accurate molds and choose a design there that you prefer. The cost on two cavity molds are at par with one of the other two production mold companies.

Comparible cost would be in an aluminum mold construction if that is a deal breaker I don't know but at least you can get exactly what you want. He also does brass molds and iron but at a higher price.

www.accuratemolds.com
Or you can go direct here to page 8 the start of 40 caliber molds
http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=8

Strtspdlx
01-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Thank you for the link. I tried navigating their website awhile ago and I didn't have much luck. I was also trying to order a custom mold and didn't understand it. Maybe I'll give it another go. Thanks again

popper
01-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Or you could just remove the BB part of the mould. I did it with a pocket knife -exacto works also. Go slow.

Strtspdlx
01-06-2017, 07:54 PM
I tried removing the bb part on a 2 cavity mold I have an I wasn't happy with how it turned out. if I could find a reamer in the correct size I would do it without a doubt. I emailed NOE as they have the molds I want listed on their site but they do not show any in stock so I wanted to see if they may be making them soon or if I have to see about a group buy. I really want more molds. I'm selling all my other molds for different calibers to fund this project. or atleast I'm attempting too.

gwpercle
01-08-2017, 11:22 AM
I tried removing the bb part on a 2 cavity mold I have an I wasn't happy with how it turned out. if I could find a reamer in the correct size I would do it without a doubt. I emailed NOE as they have the molds I want listed on their site but they do not show any in stock so I wanted to see if they may be making them soon or if I have to see about a group buy. I really want more molds. I'm selling all my other molds for different calibers to fund this project. or atleast I'm attempting too.
A really dedicated , seriously addicted boolit caster never sells a mould. You just never know what your going to need in 10 - 20 years. Right now your focused on this one project but believe many more will come along. Hang on to those paid for moulds you just might have a use for them one day.
I started in 1967 so I'm sharing some real world experience . And used Lee moulds don't command much on the open market .
Gary

Strtspdlx
01-08-2017, 01:41 PM
That isn't the first time someone's said that. You'd think I might take that bit of experience and put it to good use. For me right now 10mm covers everything I'm setup to load within pistol calibers. Including 45acp 40s&w 357/38 and 44 magnum in respect all to lead bullets. Cast may be a bit different. I was going to attempt a 45acp load that mimics 357 magnum but the pressures I'd generate to get to about 1300fps are going to be too unrealistic. I have no idea what the numbers are. But to get to 1300 from about 800 seems like a significant increase. So I'm ASSUMING that pressure would likely be the same. I could be wrong. And like everyone says the molds I have don't owe me anything. But then I have to come up with $200 somewhere else. Once I'm settled in my house it may change but right now $200 is money well spent on necessities.

A really dedicated , seriously addicted boolit caster never sells a mould. You just never know what your going to need in 10 - 20 years. Right now your focused on this one project but believe many more will come along. Hang on to those paid for moulds you just might have a use for them one day.
I started in 1967 so I'm sharing some real world experience . And used Lee moulds don't command much on the open market .
Gary

rockrat
01-08-2017, 01:45 PM
Check out NOE and Arsenal moulds. I bought a 40 cal SWC to try, from Arsenal.

Strtspdlx
01-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone. I have to contact some of the manufacturers to see if they can either make a mold they show in their catalog but not in stock, or if they can slightly modify the design of a mold I want. I was looking for something with hp pins that could either do hp's or rnf profiles. noe shows them but not in stock and arsenal has the overall design I want but I don't see it listed in hp

denul
01-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Mihec has a very nice 2 cavity 40 cal mold in stock now that runs 165 gr in PB, HP configuration. I have one, and like it, but he doesn't currently list a 4 cavity in stock

Strtspdlx
01-15-2017, 12:02 PM
I had seen that and for my uses id prefer something a bit closer to a 200gn, however If noe doesn't do a inventory run soon I may be buying the mp mold just to have something.

Mihec has a very nice 2 cavity 40 cal mold in stock now that runs 165 gr in PB, HP configuration. I have one, and like it, but he doesn't currently list a 4 cavity in stock

Strtspdlx
01-15-2017, 12:17 PM
So if one of the vendors or good mold makers doesn't run something id prefer to own I've though about buying a lee 2 cavity 401-175 and working the mold to get good usable bullets and removing the bevel base as well as making hp and fp pins for it. I've removed the bevel base on another mold and while I'm not overly satisfied with the results they're certainly usable and I"ve learned a lot from it so I think it can be done again. as for the pins and profiles I know I could do it with a tool post grinder or even a grinder setup so the fence has more of a specific design more or less a jig, which is simple enough, think drill bit sharpener. so in cost it would be about $38 for the mold and my time for the modifications and I'm almost positive I have some form of high lead or hardened steel in my shop that I can make the pins from and then I have to figure out handles for the pins, I don't think I want to do floating pins as that's entirely too much precise work to make two pins work in harmony so drop out lyman style pins is what I'm thinking, if anyone has opinions please voice them. This sounds like a fun new project, and I'm definitely in need of a new project.