PDA

View Full Version : Nube to PC Could use some help

n.h.schmidt
01-03-2017, 06:20 PM
I'm giving this a try. I'm using what I can get easily around here. HF red A Glad no 5 bole with top. No plastic BBs yet. Anyway I have water cleaned the bullets first .Put them in the bole with the red paint. Swirl and shake. Some bullets get covered ok some have spots that will not cover. Heat in the toaster oven at 400 (checked ) 10 - 15 min. Results are not as pretty as what you guys have done. How do I get the stubborn ones to coat?
Thanks
n.h.schmidt

Jr.
01-03-2017, 06:25 PM
How many boolits in the bowl? Too many and they can knock the coating off of each other. Try a second coat and then size down to desired dimension. Post some pictures some of the more able will be along shortly to help.

tankgunner59
01-03-2017, 06:30 PM
I had the same problem at first. I found you need the BB's. You can get them at Wally World in the sporting goods dept. Only use white or black bb's. When mine came out blotched I started looking for help. Found out on this forum that I needed to shake in the butter tub longer. Try shaking in the tub with the bb's for about 3 minutes. It did help mine to collect more of the PC on the bullets. I'm told the bb's create the static electricity, also humidity is not a friend to this process. Hope this helps you out some.

Beagle333
01-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Swirl a while and then shake harder. The BBs really do help. But you can do it if you shake it what you would consider a little TOO hard... that's about right.
Smoke's powders cover much better than HF red, but it will cover "okay"... with BB's. Sometimes I had to tumble/bake twice. I haven't tried it without BBs.

n.h.schmidt
01-03-2017, 07:02 PM
OK I will get the BBs and try harder. It seems like there are spots that actually repels the powder.
n.h.schmidt

vrh
01-03-2017, 07:37 PM
I wipe mine clean with a clean cloth rag before I shake. Might seem to be a lot of extra work, but all of mine come out great with even coatings.
Time involved is not a big deal, besides it is to cold to be outside shooting.

MyFlatline
01-03-2017, 07:59 PM
They may have oil on them, I wash mine in Denatured Alcohol or Acetone when they act up no water. HF red should stick.

Good luck, it's worth it.

dahermit
01-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Suggestions:
1) Use as-cast bullets, do not wash them. If you drop your bullets from the mould on an old, oil free towel, and do not handle them excessively with your hands, there is no reason to wash them in water, acetone or anything else.
2) Use a bowl with the recycle code, #5 on the bottom instead of a bole.
3) With the bullets, powder and air soft Black BB's in the bowl, use swirling motion to enable centrifugal force to keep the BB's and bullets in contact with the sides of the bowl...presumably, that is what builds the static electricity on the bullets that attracts the powder.
4) Using Harbor Freight Red, you can get sufficient coverage by doing the above, but the result will not be as visually appealing as it would if you used some of those proven powders that are mentioned.

n.h.schmidt
01-04-2017, 04:47 PM
I Do use a bowl It's a Glad brand and has the No 5 on the bottom. I haven't cast any new bullets in several years. Many are dark in places. I'm looking for the cheapest black bbs . I don't want to spend $15 or more for when all I need is a cup full.
n.h.schmidt

runfiverun
01-05-2017, 01:57 AM
I'd contact smoke and get his starter kit.
you get BB's and some better powder pretty cheap.

marky123
01-05-2017, 04:18 AM
Would a square #5 tub knock the pc off?

Grmps
01-05-2017, 05:10 AM
I've used a square 8x8 rubbermaid to do shotgun slugs, worked OK. Not so much about knocking of powder in a square container, just harder to swirl and build up static for the PC to stick.

marky123
01-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Thanks

11B-101ABN
01-07-2017, 02:47 AM
Where are you in E. IA? I'm near Anamosa. I do not shake-n-bake anymore...just spray now. Got some Black B-B's you can have.

n.h.schmidt
01-07-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm in Davenport. What spray setup do you have?
n.h.schmidt

11B-101ABN
01-07-2017, 08:32 PM
PM Sent Check your mail.