PDA

View Full Version : Marten family

seppos
01-02-2017, 01:43 PM
Women are always complaining that men are not good in multitasking.
I had a pile of steel in front of the small CNC lathe so no way to get access to it until they where finished.184126
While doing them I run bitween the lathe and the computer to sketch up the possible caliber conversions to .32 S&W long. While doing that I was thinking possible name for the cartridge family. As the .38 special turned to .30 is called .30 Badger, I though that name should be from same family as both are originally rimmed revolver cartridges. I checked it from wikipedia, and find out that badger is from the marten family, so what would be better name than Marten.. As it is the little brother to badger.
From the left: 6mm, .224, .17,.14 and .12

The prototypes are from steel as I will make reamers from them so that I can do the neck reducing dies.
The lenght will also change as the drawing down will stretch the case growing the powder space.

S

seppos
01-02-2017, 02:08 PM
The base for the design was 6mm PPC. I scaled it down according to the caliber change. There might be a need for the neck turning as we go down with the size. This is due to the percentual increace of the wall thickness in the mouth of the case. That might lead to the increase of retention force or its instability.

S

Valornor
01-02-2017, 05:03 PM
With the .12 cal you'll be in the same boat as me and trying to get a rifle barrel. No one currently makes one from what I have found though there may be some coming in the future.

JWT
01-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Cleaning rod for a .12 will be interesting as well. Probably have to be a pull through.

seppos
01-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Tight hole I know, but as it is man made so there should be a cure for it.

S

Valornor
01-02-2017, 10:42 PM
I'd totally go for it, they are a good looking.

seppos
01-03-2017, 03:52 PM
It is a pitty that we dont have the reamer rental here as you guys in the States. Would be so easy to to just rent a reamer from the company and return it back after you have chambered you DIY barrel. I have not checked the reamer rental as I do belive that they will not send the reamer way back to Finland. There should be one place here wo sells and rents the reamer. That would ease up the gunbuilding.

S

map55b
01-03-2017, 03:58 PM
I've thought of making a 17 Fireball Rimmed using 357 Max brass. Figured I'd use a standard 17 Fireball reamer and put it in a falling block. Yours might be a 17 Fireball Rimmed Short. ;)

seppos
01-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Good child has many names as we say here.:drinks:

S

seppos
01-03-2017, 04:13 PM
I have many times said to my friends that they should show they own made rifles to others as that really would courage other to keep up the good work.
Why buy ready contoured and polished barrel from Midway when you could taper that by yourself.
Those should be shown to others so that they could compare the handywork and be encuraged to do it by themself.

S

seppos
01-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Sometimes my old eyes are so tired of too much stearing of computer screen that I have to use magnification lense as aid
Well.. there is cure for it.
Nothing that can not be fixed.

184311It is always wice to keep the hand close..

S

paul h
01-04-2017, 06:54 PM
I've thought of making a 17 Fireball Rimmed using 357 Max brass. Figured I'd use a standard 17 Fireball reamer and put it in a falling block. Yours might be a 17 Fireball Rimmed Short. ;)

A buddy had a contender barrel made in 17 fireball rimmed. Great little round, no recoil and 4000 fps. He used 360 DW brass, so right sized brass vs. having to trim 0.20" off 357 max brass.

seppos
01-05-2017, 08:36 AM
I was suppose to start from the smallest one today, but as you know I do my hobby projects in my friends machine shop.
He is a bit different than me as he is more talented in marketing but does also use the machinery here.
This company is little like the skunk works of machine shops.. Many kind of projects going on all the time.

Hopefully he will finish quick so that I can start to make the reamer.
The barrel might be a problem. hard to find a barrelmaker wo could do such a small caliber barrels.
If somebody knows a barrelmaker who makes .12 barrels, I would like to get a PM from it.

S

Hamish
01-05-2017, 12:48 PM
seppos,

Now you're talking! I have discussed a .22 Badger with Badgeredd a few times, your prototype with the nice long neck is exactly what I had envisioned. A 6mm would also be a dandy in my book!

Very interested to see where your project will go!