PDA

View Full Version : G

iuvenal
01-02-2017, 02:58 AM
Hi guys, I came into possession of an odd, brass 130gr .309 mold with no markings. Since my C96 shoots 110gr .30 carbene jacketed bullets so well, I got to thinking about this oddball mold I have. So I wonder, has anyone here worked up a load with a little heavier bullet with .30 Mauser? Seems like the case would be ideal for a little slower powder as well, and I have heard of people using H110, any thoughts?

Outpost75
01-02-2017, 09:20 AM
DO NOT recommend attempting to load long heavy cast bullet in .30 Mauser or 7.62x25mm in which unsupported bullet base protrudes deeply below the neck. This is because base of bullet could upset, locking upset portion against the shoulder cone of the chamber so that you get a huge pressure spike as expanded bullet base tries to extrude through the neck.

These types of "nail head" blowups have been documented in .243 Win., 5.56mm and 6.5x55 Swede under certain conditions which presented in arsenal and factory loads.

Simply not worth taking the chance.

Zim
01-02-2017, 11:07 AM
Outpost75,
That is very interesting. How can I research this? I've wondered if this is the reason everyone didn't like intruding on the powder space, but didn't find it documented or used the wrong search term. This makes sense.

Another 32 fan, Zim

Outpost75
01-02-2017, 11:43 AM
US ammunition companies have had to defend product-liability lawsuits over the years due to blowups from this cause. In the cases I am aware of the technical data was sealed from public release as conditions of settlement agreements to discourage ambulance chaser copycat lawsuits. The ammunition industry and the government arsenals know how the problem occurs in order to avoid it through proper design and engineering practice. The interior ballistic and mechanical principles were thoroughly researched and have been worked around in development of 5.56mm M855 Ball, M856 tracer and subsequent military items. All I can or will say.

iuvenal
01-02-2017, 01:42 PM
DO NOT recommend attempting to load long heavy cast bullet in .30 Mauser or 7.62x25mm in which unsupported bullet base protrudes deeply below the neck. This is because base of bullet could upset, locking upset portion against the shoulder cone of the chamber so that you get a huge pressure spike as expanded bullet base tries to extrude through the neck.

These types of "nail head" blowups have been documented in .243 Win., 5.56mm and 6.5x55 Swede under certain conditions which presented in arsenal and factory loads.

Simply not worth taking the chance.

Thanks for the reply Outpost, also sorry I didn't realize the title of this thread got messed up, oh well. Anyway, yeah I was wondering about deep-set bullets, I'll steer clear. Interesting you should bring up 5.56, I am assuming that heavy bullets set deep enough to fit in an AR mag contributed to this. Is that true?

Outpost75
01-02-2017, 02:35 PM
In development of the NATO 5.56 rounds it was an issue. That is why the chamber used in the M249 machinegun has an intermediate angle of 11 degrees, 30 minutes, Basic, between the 23-degree shoulder angle and the chamber neck, to mitigate the "nail-head" effect. The German Von Hoffe series of sporting cartridges also used this feature.

iuvenal
01-02-2017, 02:48 PM
In development of the NATO 5.56 rounds it was an issue. That is why the chamber used in the M249 machinegun has an intermediate angle of 11 degrees, 30 minutes, Basic, between the 23-degree shoulder angle and the chamber neck, to mitigate the "nail-head" effect. The German Von Hoffe series of sporting cartridges also used this feature.

Interesting, thanks for the information. I guess that Idea is dead, I will make a dummy round to see if its possible to avoid having the base below the case neck, but I'm pretty sure the answer will be a solid "no". Anyway it looks like you've given me a new subject to study, thanks again for that.

Outpost75
01-02-2017, 03:33 PM
Bullets which I use successfully in my Cz52 pistol are:

Cast mold hot in wheel weights until uniformly frosted, quench from mold, lube with Lee Liquid Alox and size .311", load 5.5 grains of Bullseye in Starline cases with Federal 200 primers for 1420 fps.

Texas by God
01-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Please don't experiment with new frontiers in reloading in that C96 Mauser. Far too neat of a gun to take chances. My .02 Best, Thomas