PDA

View Full Version : Very first casting try

KirkD
06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Gents, I've got a couple questions. I live up here in the Northern sticks and have no one to actually cast with in order to learn, so it will be 'learn by doing' (the old 4-H motto I learned as a kid). I'll be using a Saeco double cavity mould to cast 500 grain 45-70 bullets for my old Trapdoor. Three questions:

1. I got some 'mould prep'. What do I do with that? Do I smear it all over the mould, or in the two cavities, or just on the mating surfaces of the mould.

2. I imagine I should heat up the mould prior to pouring the first scoop of lead in (melted wheel weights). I'll be using a Coleman stove burner. Should I hold the mould in the flame for a bit before the first cast?

3. How long should I wait in between castings? (i.e., after I drop the first two bullets, do I have to wait, or can I just go to town and pour the lead in as fast as I can drop the previous two bullets?)

As you can see, I know sweet tweet about casting, but I'm planning to cast for all my old guns once I learn how to.

P.S. I just thought of another question ..... I got a Lyman thermometer to tell me hot hot the molten lead is. What is a good temperature to start pouring?

docone31
06-23-2008, 05:46 PM
You are right, you know notin. You are not afraid to ask. That will make you a good caster.
That Saeco 500gn looks like it is going to be easy to cast. Knowing Sweet Tweet about casting and asking and reading and trying, you gonna cast like an addicted pro.
Just wait untill you paper patch! That is a ball! It is simple, and works great.
I cast with aluminum molds. I smoke them after cleaning them, heat em up, get my lead good and hot, and cast away. Tin is good in the melt. Not a lot, but it helps with mold fillout.
The best way to have questions to ask, is to cast away. Your rejects will help with answers.
Do the same things, and make gradual changes if needed. I like my mold hot enough that the sprue takes a little time to freeze. I keep casting. When the sprue is liquid after I cut the sprue, I take a little break. Too hot.
You gonna love casting, especially with that trapdoor.
Old school is good school.

runfiverun
06-23-2008, 08:28 PM
q-1 throw it away.
q-2 i wouldnt with that much lead i would just make 4-5 pours dump them back in your pot
that mold will get hot quick enough.
q-3 i watch the sprue you will see it shrink and change color then wait 5-10 seconds then open.

q-4 the one you didn't ask about 1% tin will help
and a little fan like from a computer will help cool your mold down.

targetshootr
06-23-2008, 08:36 PM
My RCBS pro melt does best when the temp dial is set on 725-750.

chrisx1
06-23-2008, 09:00 PM
q-1 throw it away.

+1 Throw that stuff as far as you can.

KirkD
06-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Glad to hear I can chuck the mould prep ..... the simpler the better. Thanks for the response, men. I think I'm ready to give it a try.