PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer cheeseburgers last night, thinking about good friends, food, & good times!

koger
01-01-2017, 12:07 PM
My daughter, son in law and granddaughter have been here for several days, and everyone thought a good burger sounded good. I took 2.5# of burger, made 5 burgers. I cut the fat off some bacon, mixed with it to make it hold together when cooking. I fried up 10 strips of bacon to go on the burgers, then fried them in the bacon grease!!! I placed strips of bacon on them when about done, then Colby/jack cheese on top, lid over them for 3 minutes to melt the cheese, added a big slice of tomato when done and mayo! Too die for, big thick juicy burgers, and very aromatic when cooking, could smell all the different grains they had been eating on! I mad a big bowl of Guacamole with chips for side dish. Mule deer tastes so much better than whitetail here in KY, don't get me wrong, love whitetail, but this tastes a lot like elk! This was from the deer taken when hunting with Roger Johnson{Johnson 1942}on the board here. Roger has been gracious enough to host me twice, we had a ball hunting, shooting, driving around sight seeing in Nebraska and South Dakota. You cant place a price on good friends and quality time spent together, Roger and I have only know each other for 3 years, but seems like we are old friends. I have learned a ton of stuff from him, about paper patching, BH 209, due to being open minded, and testing and load development, at extended ranged yardages. This allowed me to make clean, successful shots at extended ranges, every time. First day there, Roger had cooked ham/leek soup, man that hit the spot after eating fast food for 2 days!I enjoyed cooking for Roger and his family a couple of times while there, my home cured country ham, eggs ,biscuit's and my homemade jam one night, another night roasted Mule deer/pork fajitas with pepper, onions and rice, and chips and my guacamole on the side! I love cooking for friends and family, especially folks who have gone out of the way for me, and most folks can eat my cooking! When I left that last day, Roger and I were both a little sad, we had a great time for 5 days, time well spent and remembered. I wished we lived closer together my friend!

johnson1942
01-01-2017, 04:16 PM
man that was a hunt to remember and is going to be hard to duplicate. sam got here late morning so after he settled in some i said, lets check that old CRP a mile south of the house. 10 minutes later he was gutting out a nice mule deer buck after downing it with one shot at 148 yards. we were happier than crows in a sweet corn patch. every where we went we saw deer. sam can spot a deer or elk better than anyone ive ever hunted with. when we took a sight seeing trip up to the black hills, which are mountains, sam saw every deer or elk or antelope we went by and it was a lot of them. my 17 year old son has learned a lot from sam and sam is a good teacher. glad your enjoying the meat and you are welcome anytime.

shtur
01-01-2017, 06:09 PM
My wife and I also prefer mule deer over whitetail, especially in roasts and steaks. In backstaps, it's almost the same taste.

For johnson1942, I took your suggestion and planted carrots in a cattle/horse water tank and had the best carrots ever, last year.

johnson1942
01-02-2017, 12:17 AM
thanks for telling me that. i did 2, 15 gallon containers of carrots last year and they were huge. going to do several containers this year. also if you like leeks for soup buy leek plants off of the internet and do the same. i put them in a large old round water tank filled with compost. they got twice as long and much thicker than the ones at wall mart.they make the most wonderful soup. carrots really do like soft soil and containers.