PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog strikes again

selmerfan
01-01-2017, 12:56 AM
I tried a different season in Iowa for the first time this year. Instead of trying to hunt the shotgun seasons, I elected to go for the late muzzleloader season and use my TC Encore pistol in .357 Maximum (legal option for this season) with 18" MGM barrel and 2.5-8x32 Leupold VX3 Handgun scope. I use the Ranch Dog .359-190-RF GC in this gun and have great success with it for precision and hunting. I turns in MOA groups at 100 yds and milk jugs at 200 with a rest are easy. I use Lotak Hard for lube and 27 gr. of AA1680 in Remington brass. I had the chance at a nice fat doe in the middle of the afternoon on Dec. 23rd. She came running in from behind with a fawn in front of her, heading for the trees. I whistled and got both of them to stop at 125 yds. I was set up in a ground blind with solid rest. The doe was quartering away. I tucked the bullet in just behind the diaphragm and through the liver and it exited the opposite lung just behind the shoulder. We had a stiff crosswind and the bullet didn't move quite as far as I planned, but I still got a lethal shot in. .35 caliber hole in and out, didn't break a single bone. She went 125 yds and laid down. I love hunting deer with this cast boolit and gun! This barrel has never seen a jacketed projectile.

mike69
01-01-2017, 01:30 AM
Thats one of the barrels id like to get for my encore read a lot of good things on the 357 max. Sounds like yours is doing real good. That 18 inch barrel would make for a long pistol thought my 15s where long.

35 shooter
01-01-2017, 01:54 AM
Nice shot with a handgun. Congrats on your deer.

54bore
01-01-2017, 07:20 AM
I owned a .357 Maximum Seville Revolver, it was a really nice old gun, I ended up selling it to the son of the man that built the gun. How hard is it to find brass now days? I would love to find an old Ruger blackhawk .357 Max, i know the Maxi got a bad name as a top strap flame cutter, but it was later proven that it only did it a tiny bit 'then stopped' but this news came to late, the Maxi was doomed, Ruger ceased production.

selmerfan
01-01-2017, 11:27 AM
I owned a .357 Maximum Seville Revolver, it was a really nice old gun, I ended up selling it to the son of the man that built the gun. How hard is it to find brass now days? I would love to find an old Ruger blackhawk .357 Max, i know the Maxi got a bad name as a top strap flame cutter, but it was later proven that it only did it a tiny bit 'then stopped' but this news came to late, the Maxi was doomed, Ruger ceased production.

There's a guy selling a Ruger over in the 24hourcampfire classifieds and Starline FINALLY started making brass for the Max!

selmerfan
01-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Thats one of the barrels id like to get for my encore read a lot of good things on the 357 max. Sounds like yours is doing real good. That 18 inch barrel would make for a long pistol thought my 15s where long.

It is. Rest almost required, though I'm pretty good with the "taco" hold out to 50-75 yds on milk jugs. I'll post a pic later with the pistol on the deer - it makes the deer look tiny, though she dressed at 126 pounds according to my Moultrie scale.

TXGunNut
01-01-2017, 08:43 PM
That RD 359-190 has been a solid performer for me in my 35 Rem 336. Filled the freezer more than once, a couple were even DRT. I keep forgetting I have a Contender in 35 Rem, wonder if it will like that RD boolit?

selmerfan
01-01-2017, 11:23 PM
I'm trying to do pics on my phone for the first time, so I hope this works. Both pictures are the same deer. Hard to believe the pistol makes it look so small in the first picture! Having the neck folded up on the handgun case didn't help.
For reference, I'm 6'2", 230 lbs. Doe dressed at 126. Not huge, but she'll be delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmerfan
01-01-2017, 11:24 PM
That RD 359-190 has been a solid performer for me in my 35 Rem 336. Filled the freezer more than once, a couple were even DRT. I keep forgetting I have a Contender in 35 Rem, wonder if it will like that RD boolit?

I'd sure give it a shot!

oscarflytyer
01-01-2017, 11:50 PM
Ranch Dog .359-190-RF GC - FINALLY found not one, but two of these headed my way! For 35 Rem. Can't wait!

tdoyka
01-02-2017, 03:22 PM
i luv the ranch dogs!!! a 165gr ranch dog with my 30-40 krag and 275gr ranch dog with my 444 marlin.

great shot!!!

selmerfan
01-03-2017, 01:46 AM
i luv the ranch dogs!!! a 165gr ranch dog with my 30-40 krag and 275gr ranch dog with my 444 marlin.

great shot!!!

I've got the 30-165 for .30-30 and in my Krag barrel for my Stevens 44 1/2. Love it in both.

selmerfan
01-03-2017, 01:50 AM
I'm trying to do pics on my phone for the first time, so I hope this works. Both pictures are the same deer. Hard to believe the pistol makes it look so small in the first picture! Having the neck folded up on the handgun case didn't help.
For reference, I'm 6'2", 230 lbs. Doe dressed at 126. Not huge, but she'll be delicious!

I finished butchering her tonight. Very fat - trimmed of 15 pounds of fat! Yielded 61.5 pounds of boneless roast, loins, and burger trim. Plus some ribs, neck, and the tenderloins which are long digested. So close to 70 pounds yield. Not bad for a deer that some idiots on Facebook said was a fawn and scoffed at the claim of killing her with one shot at 125 yds with a pistol and cast boolit. [emoji23]

Goatwhiskers
01-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Gotta love that RD190! I shoot it in my Max PP pushed by 28gr of 1680, about 2100fps IIRC from a 24" barrel Cadet. Took a doe in Dec., one hole in, one out. Used ACWW to cast, little rifle shoots consistently under 3/4" at 100. GW

selmerfan
01-07-2017, 09:25 AM
GW - this sounds exactly like my experience. I need to run this load over my chronograph. We moved last year and I haven't had the chrono out since. I ordered the barrel from MGM, got it and immediately went to work on precision without worrying about velocity. This load will keep it under MOA out to at least 150 yds, which is the farthest I've put it on paper. I can ring up the 4" plate at 200 yds with a rest without trouble.

EMC45
01-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Well done! Let the ney sayers keep bumping their gums. You did it, you ate it and that's what counts!

elmerkeithclone
01-10-2017, 04:17 PM
I finished butchering her tonight. Very fat - trimmed of 15 pounds of fat! Yielded 61.5 pounds of boneless roast, loins, and burger trim. Plus some ribs, neck, and the tenderloins which are long digested. So close to 70 pounds yield. Not bad for a deer that some idiots on Facebook said was a fawn and scoffed at the claim of killing her with one shot at 125 yds with a pistol and cast boolit. [emoji23]

I'm new here but thought I'd jump in and say..... pay the facebook crowd no never mind. I am a fellow Iowan and have been alternating between the early and late muzzleloader seasons since the very first one. I shot several late season does the size of yours on purpose and when the pickins were slim I shot a few of those cute little ones with the long eye lashes. Just remember when your savoring every bite that the joke is on them. My 4 grown kids grew up eating venison and when we needed a tag filled I was usually looking for a doe like yours!

I like your set up! For about 10 years my late season gun was a twin to yours only in 375 Winchester with a 14 inch barrel. Now I'm an old man and fill my late season tags with a 357 mag GP100. I stick to bow range and boiler room shots with a 158 grain 12 BHN cast gas check bullet from my Lee mold.

selmerfan
01-21-2017, 11:02 PM
I'm new here but thought I'd jump in and say..... pay the facebook crowd no never mind. I am a fellow Iowan and have been alternating between the early and late muzzleloader seasons since the very first one. I shot several late season does the size of yours on purpose and when the pickins were slim I shot a few of those cute little ones with the long eye lashes. Just remember when your savoring every bite that the joke is on them. My 4 grown kids grew up eating venison and when we needed a tag filled I was usually looking for a doe like yours!

I like your set up! For about 10 years my late season gun was a twin to yours only in 375 Winchester with a 14 inch barrel. Now I'm an old man and fill my late season tags with a 357 mag GP100. I stick to bow range and boiler room shots with a 158 grain 12 BHN cast gas check bullet from my Lee mold.

I strongly considered the .375 Win, but because of more bullet weight and design options and more available brass, I went with the .357 Max. I sure did enjoy not being in the field with the shotgun armies!!!

monge
01-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Great shooting enjoy the fresh venison!

Shingle
01-24-2017, 12:02 PM
I am a big fan of the ranch dog's.At 7:00 A/M this morning I tagged a large doe with them out of a 9mm camp carbine. It entered front shoulder blade,exited behind last rib. Exit hole was the size of thumb and forefinger,great boolits.

jmort
01-24-2017, 12:11 PM
^^^ Is that the 135 grain???
I know RD has used it on hogs.
The little 9mm killer with the Magic Meplat

Shingle
01-24-2017, 12:54 PM
YES it is. that little bullet is deadly. I was hesitant of posting that because the 9mm thing usually ticks some know it all off. I have been close range deer shooting with it for years and have never had a deer or coyote get out of my sight before dying.

jmort
01-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately, so many get the vapors over issues like this. But, yes, the RD 135 grain 9mm Luger will smoke a deer or a hog. My favorite 9mm bullet right now.

Shingle
01-24-2017, 01:47 PM
I used to be a deputy sheriff in a very rural area and we had lot's of times we had to shoot animal's. Our issue long gun was MP5SD over the years i tried every JHP made and got poor results,so i started testing cast lead they worked better on larger animals,then i got the ranch dog mold wow I could knock a pissed off emu on his butt. Then I thought these would have to work on deer, did they ever I have been using 9mm carbines to deer hunt since.

nockhunter
01-24-2017, 10:04 PM
Hey Shingle, what kind of velocity those 135's runnin in that camp carbine?

Mike

Echale3
01-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Nice doe! I prefer them to a buck any day.

My first buck was taken with a 8" barreled DW 357 SuperMag revolver shoving a 220 grain LBT WFN slug out the front end at a hair over 1500 fps. Great deer cartridge from a handgun, for sure, and very amenable to cast bullets.

jmort
01-25-2017, 03:49 PM
You get little velocity increase in longer/carbine barrels with 9mm. Once you get past a 4" barrel you are about done, velocity wise. I get around 1,100 fps in a pistol, with Unique, so he may be at 1,200 fps plus depending. Regardless, the Magic Meplat just flat out works.
As noted, it will shoot through a deer.
Thanks RD aka Michael

Shingle
01-25-2017, 04:12 PM
I'm running 1100 fps using 3N37, I don't have the load in front of me. That's as fast as I run out of the Camp 9. I bought it for 60$ and it came to me in pieces in a Wal-Mart bag it's had a hard life.

TXGunNut
01-26-2017, 10:55 PM
YES it is. that little bullet is deadly. I was hesitant of posting that because the 9mm thing usually ticks some know it all off. I have been close range deer shooting with it for years and have never had a deer or coyote get out of my sight before dying.

Pretty hard to argue with that. Good job!