PDA

View Full Version : Last time shooting.

modified5
12-31-2016, 08:56 PM
183960For a long time anyways. :(
At the end of next month, or early Feb I am going to have surgery on my right shoulder to reattach on of my rotator cuff tendons to the bone and repair another tear in another. I won't be able to bow hunt for a year, and who knows how long until I can shoot the rifles again.
I took out three of my lever guns. Could have taken whatever, but levers are so much fun.
Took out the 1906 30wcf rifle, my 1966 carbine that I rescued. It was bought at an antique store as a stripped receiver with a broken tang. I welded on a new tang and assembled it. Still working on the sights. And I took my Rossi carbine in .44mag..
Had a good day.
I had cast some 170 rnfp for the 1906 model and now my bore looks like a smooth bore. :-D
Back to the drawing board on that one.
I left the 450 Marlin guide gun at home because I figured an all ready damaged shoulder didn't need that kind of recoil! :Fire:

MrWolf
12-31-2016, 09:22 PM
Nice. I am a Marlin lever nut myself :Fire:

bstone5
12-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Had my right rotator cuff repaired, too much time using a hammer forming sheet metal.

The surgery was not too bad. The physical therapy to get back to use took a while and at times the guy bending my arm hurt my shoulder some.

After the therapy and working in the shop the joint worked fine. Was shooting again in about a year. Had a lot of pain in the joint before the surgery, the pain is gone and the shoulder works fine.

Good luck and do the physical therapy.

tunnug
12-31-2016, 09:51 PM
There is always the .22s, it will keep the itch scratched.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-31-2016, 10:08 PM
Best wishes to you on the surgery, modified5. Maybe you can temporarily be a handgunner! :Fire:

oscarflytyer
12-31-2016, 10:15 PM
Best of luck on the surgery. Both my Rotators rebuilt and R one nearly had to be replaced! Yikes! You can/will be shooting light cast loads in these in about 6 months if all goes well. One big piece of advice I will share - buy a PAST Recoil Pad. I did after my surgery. I use it for EVERY bench session, and only time it stays home is when I am hunting. You will greatly appreciate it!

Bzcraig
12-31-2016, 11:00 PM
I pray the best possible surgery and recovery. Send me the rifles and I'll make sure they remain in good working order, someone has to have your back brother!

375RUGER
12-31-2016, 11:53 PM
I'd learn to shoot left handed. Use to practice it quite a bit, not so much any more. I've had to make shots in the field left handed and glad I had practiced it.

modified5
01-01-2017, 12:30 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes.
I already am a handgunner, from long range contender shooting to 21 ft ccw training.
I will definitely have to practice my left hand shooting. I could see the pistols being easier than rifles. It just feels so awkward!! :-D
The surgeon said that this is a very standard injury and surgery for an auto tech. He said the recovery and how well it does is up to me.
1 1\2 hours in surgery and a year recovery. See how work feels about that.

edslau33
01-01-2017, 02:38 AM
183960For a long time anyways. :(
At the end of next month, or early Feb I am going to have surgery on my right shoulder to reattach on of my rotator cuff tendons to the bone and repair another tear in another. I won't be able to bow hunt for a year, and who knows how long until I can shoot the rifles again.
I took out three of my lever guns. Could have taken whatever, but levers are so much fun.
Took out the 1906 30wcf rifle, my 1966 carbine that I rescued. It was bought at an antique store as a stripped receiver with a broken tang. I welded on a new tang and assembled it. Still working on the sights. And I took my Rossi carbine in .44mag..
Had a good day.
I had cast some 170 rnfp for the 1906 model and now my bore looks like a smooth bore. :-D
Back to the drawing board on that one.
I left the 450 Marlin guide gun at home because I figured an all ready damaged shoulder didn't need that kind of recoil! :Fire:

My father had similar surgery about 12 years ago. He is by no means a physical specimen but he did his rehab and was largely good to go in 4-6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bosterr
01-01-2017, 09:24 AM
I think you will be feeling better sooner than you think. I had it done in late August '04 and was deer hunting with a hard kicking Contender pistol that season. I was taking therapy days off to hit the woods. I didn't have the secondary tear like you have, but the work on mine was the outside of the shoulder, not the front where a rifle sits. It was still painful to raise my arm above my head, but that range of motion isn't needed to shoot. The surgeon told me this is one of the most painful and miserable things a person can have done and he was right. Therapy was so painful I got to wishing that I had just let it go. I'm glad I did it though, I had 100% recovery. Great range of motion again and only a 3" scar to show for it. My wife had it done last Feb, and hers was done arthroscopic. She had 3 tears and a lot of scar tissue removed as well. Her recovery was longer but the results were good too. Good luck to you and wish you a speedy recovery!!!

Texas by God
01-01-2017, 02:56 PM
Yes, that .450 Marlin will hurt. .22s and .410s for you for a bit. It'll be fun. Wish you a speedy recovery. Best, Thomas.

Texas by God
01-01-2017, 03:01 PM
Get better soon. You'll never be up to that .450 again so just send it to me. That cartridge is no good anyway. Best, Thomas.

JWT
01-01-2017, 03:18 PM
I have the same issue in my right shoulder. I'm not really willing to give up use of my right arm (very right handed) but the surgeon says the longer this is put off the less chance there is for a successful repair. I go back to see him in a couple of weeks. Good luck.

modified5
01-01-2017, 06:19 PM
JWT, I too am very right handed and was told the same thing, the longer it's delayed the Lee's chance of full recovery. This happened over 3 months ago at work and I have been playing the workers comp game ever since. They forced me through PT without an MRI and basically said just ta1ke pain meds. Finally got the mri and amazingly enough it's torn. The surgeon said there probably hasn't been additional damage but if I were to put it off I eventually would not be able to lift my arm above my head. Get it fixed.
I guess I will be forced to get my .22 mag finally sighted in. :-D:Fire:

DanM
01-01-2017, 06:53 PM
I had the same surgery done last July 20. I was done with the formal PT about a month ago, as my range of motion was back to above 95%. The shoulder does still hurt, but seldom need more than OTC Naproxin for the pain at this point. I haven't felt capable of firing any of my hard kicking rifles as yet, and probably won't for another 4-6 months. I can shoot the AR-15 when wearing my PAST vest with no trouble. My problem with pistols is not the recoil, but rather holding one out in a Weaver stance for any length of time. My first few groups are pretty much as good as ever, but after 10-15 minutes I am done. My therapist gave me some excercises to help with pistol shooting and I am working on them and many others. One practical suggestion I have for you is schedule your therapy sessions and home exercises earlier in the day rather than later. That way you will be past most of the pain before bedtime and you can take fewer of the narco pain pills. I won't kid you, though, you will likely need those little pills regularly for the first 6-8 weeks. After that I was able to taper off them to bedtime only, and now I am taking them only a couple of nights a week. I am lucky in that the Naproxin works pretty well and doesn't bother my stomach. I hope you have a caring family, as you will need their help regularly for the first 4-6 weeks. Bro, those narco pills will make you a little dizzy, so be real careful just walking around the house for the first few weeks.
Take things slow and easy. Good luck and God bless!

dh2
01-02-2017, 04:05 AM
Best of luck with the surgery, I went through it at a young age of 23, hand it done in the spring and my beloved 7mm Rem. Mag. was out of the question for deer season, I was able to do well with a 25-06 Rem that fall. when thing start feeling better think about some thing mild on the shoulder like 25-06 or .243

popper
01-08-2017, 05:21 PM
My Rt shoulder hurt so bad 20yrs ago I couldn't get a nite sleep. Got it fixed and lite duty for a couple months. Wasn't shooting then but could do anything else. Gets sore now & have to throw a ball like a girl but it still works. Actually started shooting left handed rifle when using iron sights, still practice lefthanded pistol. didn't find it that hard to do. Just have to watch for the SA cases when they come out.

rintinglen
01-09-2017, 09:29 AM
30-30, 90-98 grain boolit, 8.0 grains of unique--you'll be shooting again in no time.
Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Norske
01-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Years ago, I developed a bone spur that cut through my right rotator cuff and tore the tendon than held my bicep to my upper arm. A good surgeon, an excellent physical therapist, and religious PT exercises restored full range of motion about a month earlier than expected. A got the blessing from my surgeon on a Friday, and the following Monday I was in a tree stand with a Past Recoil Shield and my 45-70 hunting black bear over bait. Take the PT exercise regimen seriously.

modified5
01-10-2017, 04:33 PM
I finally got the date, Jan 30. The Dr said that how well this goes is totally up to me. Listen the the therapist, do my exercises, and all will go well.
He did say that it is good that right now I have full range of motion. I haven't missed any work due to it so it's not debilitating just really annoying and sore.
Anyway, thanks for all the ecouragement and thoughts.

shoot-n-lead
01-10-2017, 04:40 PM
I finally got the date, Jan 30. The Dr said that how well this goes is totally up to me. Listen the the therapist, do my exercises, and all will go well.
He did say that it is good that right now I have full range of motion. I haven't missed any work due to it so it's not debilitating just really annoying and sore.
Anyway, thanks for all the ecouragement and thoughts.

Hope that it goes well...I know a lot of people that have had it done...none regret it...despite the arduous therapy.

Prayer sent for a good outcome.

rototerrier
01-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Had surgery just about 12 weeks ago on my right shoulder to shave off a bone spur and repair a tear in my biceps tendon. Motocross injuries and many years working on a computer finally did me in. Not joking...I literally had computer mouse shoulder. Landed on the shoulder one too many times, had broken the clavicle. Then tore something playing bocce ball a while back and then the repetitiveness of using a mouse and keyboard caused it to never heal up correctly and created some scar tissue. It all added up I guess.

Still hurts a bit at certain angles and I can't quite get my arm back behind my back, but I'm getting there.

Shooting with light recoil was ok at about the 6 week mark for me. I started moving up in recoil at around week 8 and can now shoot anything I want, within reason.

I was told I'd be down for 3 months but was good to go, for the most part, at 6 weeks.

You just never know. Don't be too discouraged. It may work out much quicker than you've been told.

I definitely don't regret having it done. The excruciating daily pain is now gone. The pain from the surgery, to me, was nothing compared to what I was living with. So if you are anything or anywhere near where I was, then the surgery will be well worth it.

I was only on pain meds for 2 days after my surgery. It hurt, but not as bad as it had been hurting, so I didn't see any need to be medicated. Everyone told me that the post op was going to be miserable...and it might be for you, but it wasn't for me. Just goes to show everyone can have a different experience.